X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 State Capitols in 50 Days: Free performance on July 6th

Building Transamerica:
    50 State Capitols in 50 Days

Free, live performance at Hawaii Capitol building marks third stop in singer’s cross-country adventure

WHAT:
    Webster McBride, lead singer of San Francisco-based band Golden Birds, will perform on July 6th at the Hawaii State Capitol building as part of his 50-day whirlwind “Transamerica” tour of 50 U.S. state capitols. Singer/songwriter McBride is traversing the country on a solo tour in his ’94 Dodge Caravan, performing live, acoustic shows on the grounds of a different state capitol each day. For obvious reason, he is flying to Honolulu and Juneau. The tour will culminate with a performance on the 51st night, August 23rd , on the steps of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., McBride’s hometown.

WHY:
    “My tour is being undertaken as a symbolic gesture to support open, communal parks and public spaces in our nation’s cities, as well as open, respectful dialogue in our nation’s political and cultural debate.” says McBride. The tour supports Golden Birds’ forthcoming second album, Transamerica, which “explores the contemporary experience of space and the power of place names, particularly in the context of separation from loved ones and from more innocent periods of life.”

WHO:
    The show is free and open to the public.

WHERE & WHEN:
    The State Capitol Building is located at 415 South Beretania. McBride will start at 8pm and the performance should last approximately 45 minutes.

50 State Capitols in 50 Days: Free performance on July 6th

Building Transamerica:
    50 State Capitols in 50 Days

Free, live performance at Hawaii Capitol building marks third stop in singer’s cross-country adventure

WHAT:
    Webster McBride, lead singer of San Francisco-based band Golden Birds, will perform on July 6th at the Hawaii State Capitol building as part of his 50-day whirlwind “Transamerica” tour of 50 U.S. state capitols. Singer/songwriter McBride is traversing the country on a solo tour in his ’94 Dodge Caravan, performing live, acoustic shows on the grounds of a different state capitol each day. For obvious reason, he is flying to Honolulu and Juneau. The tour will culminate with a performance on the 51st night, August 23rd , on the steps of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., McBride’s hometown.

WHY:
    “My tour is being undertaken as a symbolic gesture to support open, communal parks and public spaces in our nation’s cities, as well as open, respectful dialogue in our nation’s political and cultural debate.” says McBride. The tour supports Golden Birds’ forthcoming second album, Transamerica, which “explores the contemporary experience of space and the power of place names, particularly in the context of separation from loved ones and from more innocent periods of life.”

WHO:
    The show is free and open to the public.

WHERE & WHEN:
    The State Capitol Building is located at 415 South Beretania. McBride will start at 8pm and the performance should last approximately 45 minutes.

Comment

Re: 50 State Capitols in 50 Days: Free performance on July 6th

Here's the website for this project. Interesting!

As I'll be downtown after dark anyway, I just might check this out tonight.

Comment

I had to work tonight so missed it. Who made it to the show and what'd ya think?
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

How neat! Sure, a U2 concert is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but so is catching a solo acoustic guitar performance by a guy on an ambitious, somewhat insane, but irresistably interesting mission to perform at 50 state capitol buildings in 50 days.

We talked, we took each others' pictures, we met some new people (it was just him, four people in the audience and a disinterested security guard)... I gave him a ride after the "show"...

Phoenix tomorrow, Santa Fe on Friday, Denver on Saturday, Cheyenne on Sunday... all performances in places not designed for concerts, and none of which will likely be prepared for his arrival. I wish him luck! I hope to put together an interview of sorts with him on my next podcast. I hope more and more folks turn out to see him as he crosses the country.

Interestingly, a random stranger who saw the notice of Webster's appearance online dropped him an e-mail just before he left for Honolulu, and she became his tour guide today and host for the night, just like that. How odd, this Internet, bringing random people together...

Comment

Working...
          X