Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF Heald doesn't guarantee landing you a job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF Heald doesn't guarantee landing you a job?

On another local forum I'm lurking at, I searched for posts containing "Heald", and got a few. In them, some posts said that Heald (or other colleges that offers job placement) said that Heald will only get you to the job interview, the rest is up to you. And from the looks of it, the ET guys got jobs at Home Depot and Pizza Hut.

I guess you need to do some work to get a job, but after spending $20,000+ for 18 months, I thought they'd offer some better help for a job.

[/end of rant]
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: WTF Heald doesn't guarantee landing you a job?

Although graduating from college is an acheivement, finishing school does not necessarily mean landing a job right away. Granted that some people are fortunate enough to get a job through a college recruiter.

I remember having the same feelings as you when I finished UH Manoa. I thought, "Hey, finding a job shouldn't be too difficult. I'd probably get something in a few weeks." Turns out a few weeks turned into several months. The first job I had was horrible.

Actually, I had to take that horrible job right away since I had student loans to pay off. It wasn't a few months after that horrible job that I finally landed my "dream job" and been at this job for about 6 years now.

Comment

Adrian:
      Be grateful you can even get Heald to try to get you that first interview with an employer. It's not up to them to find you a job; it's YOUR job to find you a job. After all, they're not the ones who have to show up for work everyday. C'mon, Adrian. Hawai'i's economy is doing great. There are so many jobs and not enough takers. It'll be tough because you have no real experience yet, but there are jobs out there. You just have to go out there and find the right one. When you have no experience, you can't really be picky, either. What you need is a foot in the door somewhere.

A career counselor once told me that you have to have a "60 second commercial" about yourself where, in 60 seconds, you tell a prospective employer all the reasons why s/he should hire you. I think you should start putting together a 60-second commercial and practice delivering it. When people look for a job, they're often too focused on what the company is going to offer them; if you really want to work at a company, you need to convince them why they need YOU more than anyone else.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

"WTF" indeed. Nobody can guarantee landing you a job. You'd be fortunate to have job placement assistance, including interview training, referrals, and the like. Most schools don't do anything of the sort - once you've got diploma in hand, you're on your own.

If anything, you're lucky the job market is so strong right now. You'd probably still be doing better than most to land that first job at Pizza Hut with your college degree, but the fact of the matter is, some prospective employees now have the luxury of being picky. There are more people hiring than people looking.

Comment

Heald doesn't guarantee landing you a job?

Adrian:
          It's probably not reasonable for you to be annoyed that Heald won't guarantee job-placement. It only has control over what you learn, and even then, what you learn is still really up to you. How is a college supposed to guarantee anything after that?

When I graduated from school, my thoughts were exactly 808_m3's. In fact, I was so sure I'd find a teaching job somewhere that I racked up ridiculous debt in my last year of college, certain that I'd pay it off in no time. Well, Pzarquon and Kilinahe will tell you that in that last semester, when I sent resumes to every independent secondary school in the state (in the STATE!), schools couldn't wait to tell me how much they didn't want me. I taped my rejection letters to a wall in the campus newspaper office ("the wall of rejection") mostly for fun at first, but after a while it wasn't really funny anymore. And I, too, had college loans to pay off.

I did find jobs after several months, but that was a rough several months, and I didn't get my first teaching job until a little more than a year later. Miulang is right: a lot of it is about getting that foot in the door, because without meaning to brag, it didn't make any sense to me that nobody wanted me teaching at their schools. I'd been working since I was fifteen, had a ton of experience in a lot of different areas, and I was a HECK of an English major. I don't mean I was good. I mean I was totally immersed in English major-ness. And for some reason it wasn't good enough.

I'm teaching now, though. And am about to start my tenth year.

Twenty thousand? Pshaw. Nobody owes you anything. For your twenty grand you're getting an education and a piece of paper. You're making contacts. You want your twenty-grand worth? Learn as much as you possibly can and lose this sense of entitlement. Try to develop some resilience, because when it's time to look for a career job, you may need it.
          Last edited by scrivener; July 6, 2005, 08:12 AM. Reason: Reason? I abandoned reason years ago.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
            On another local forum I'm lurking at, I searched for posts containing "Heald", and got a few. In them, some posts said that Heald (or other colleges that offers job placement) said that Heald will only get you to the job interview, the rest is up to you. And from the looks of it, the ET guys got jobs at Home Depot and Pizza Hut.

I guess you need to do some work to get a job, but after spending $20,000+ for 18 months, I thought they'd offer some better help for a job.

[/end of rant]

Sup Adrian,

imma 99 graduate of Heald.

they help you out only so much. the rest is up to you. if it wasn't for my love of computers and motivation i wouldn't be a sys admin for the airforce today. heald graduates batches of kids in the IT field. so there is lots of competition. u have to know your stuff and ace the interview, have working experience and a few certifications to get your foot in da door.

some of my classmates have gone to work for microsoft, intel, CSC, SAIC, army, navy, airforce, and other big corporations. its still wide open. u just have to start somewhere. and there are some of my classmates that have wasted their degrees and never used what they learned in the job market. some went to become cashiers etc.

my wife is starting classes at heald for her accounting degree this month. she's looking forward to it. one of the great things of heald is the financial assistance. they qualify you right there in da office. das what started me back in 97. my parents and friends were suprised to find out i went back to school. and in no time i had my AAS. i went further for my 2nd AAS.

now im thinking about finishing my BS with either univ of PHX, capella, HPU, or AIU while working full time.

so go check out heald's orientation tour with one of the counselors. its worth a look.

btw day classes get choke chicks!! woooo hooooooo!!
            Reggie aka pinakboy
            Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
            Raw Eats Veggie Videos
            Recipe Tube TV!
            Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Working...
            X