IL to HI on the cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IL to HI on the cheap?

As a recent transplant from the Midwest to this beautiful island, I am astounded by something new and different every day I’ve lived here. The only complaint I have is that I can’t convince all the people I care about back on the mainland to move out here, too! Does anyone know of any good flight deals for people on pretty sparse budgets, meaning all my friends from college, to fly to Hawaii from Illinois?

Re: IL to HI on the cheap?

Originally posted by shernhi
    The only complaint I have is that I can’t convince all the people I care about back on the mainland to move out here, too!

My complaint is you even contemplate doing this!

"hey, everyone! Move here to Hawaii now!"

Comment

Congratulations on the move Shernhi
      Is it really fantastic as it sounds?
      www.myspace.com/cc_splace http://www.heavenlyrainbows.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by shernhi
        As a recent transplant from the Midwest to this beautiful island, I am astounded by something new and different every day I’ve lived here.
        What are the new and different things that astound you? Having been born and raised in Hawai'i, I'm always curious about what outsiders think is unusual or notable.

Comment

Since your friends have to travel on the cheap, and if they don't mind being squished like sardines, ATA (www.ata.com) has the cheapest flights between Midway and HNL. They may even be direct flights, for all I know. I try not to fly on charter planes, but if you have to get there, an ATA charter flight is the way to go.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Midway? Is that south of Chicago?

I'd probably take Southwest to get as far west as I can in the Continental U.S., then grab the cheapest carrier I can find (not always ATA!) to jump the pond. Just gotta find where Southwest and carriers like Aloha and Hawaiian cross paths...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Midway? Is that south of Chicago?

I'd probably take Southwest to get as far west as I can in the Continental U.S., then grab the cheapest carrier I can find (not always ATA!) to jump the pond. Just gotta find where Southwest and carriers like Aloha and Hawaiian cross paths...
              Midway is the airport that charter flights and business jets use in the Chicago area. Unless you want to spend hours and hours searching for the cheapest flight, ATA is generally the best you can do. Just checked the fares on ATA for 9/16-9/30 MDW-HNL-MDW: R/T (nonstop) is $400. I generally prefer nonstops to having to change planes, even if it's with the same carrier.

Miulang

P.S. ATA code shares with SWA.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Ah! You meant that Midway. I was thinking of this Midway.

Well, a relatively straight line from Illinois to Hawaii on an airline that partners with Southwest? Sounds like a deal.

Hey, and it turns out ATA's Hawaii-inclusive partnership with Southwest is a relatively new development!
                Last edited by pzarquon; July 6, 2005, 12:55 PM.

Comment

To answer your questions/ comments about the move, yes it is fantastic. As for what I find new, having come from IL, the OCEAN is a big draw for me. I went swimming in Lake Michigan a lot as a child, but it is nothing like being in the Pacific Ocean, which always feels warm and stretches out till God knows where. With that in mind, the weather feels new to me as well. If you know anything about the Midwest, you know how unbelievably hot and muggy it gets during the summertime. It is warm here without the stifling quality. And then there's how different the people here are, meaning the mixes of ethnicities and "hapas" (am I getting that right?), which is a big change as it is pretty homogeneous where I was living in IL. That's not the case in Chicago and some of the larger towns, obviously. I could just go on . . .

Comment

Are we talking sparse as in splurge on sushi once a week or package saimin every meal? Maybe giving a better idea of your friends’ finances might help. Other than going on travelocity and expedia and all those websites, I would visit airfare-related boards and see what kind of deals people who have flown between the two states have gotten in the past. However, if your friends are really broke, you all might be better off buying plans with OneSuite instead so you can describe your experiences to them on the phone until they can afford to fly here! Gotta splurge on da vacations, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X