Does the State owe OHA $100 million?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the State owe OHA $100 million?

I find it rather interesting that the State wants to renege on its promise to give OHA (on behalf of the kanaka maoli) a portion of any revenues it might make on businesses that operated on ceded land. And we're not talking chump change, either. It's something like $100 million since the "Forgiveness Act" was enacted in 1997.

The State should be grateful that OHA is not asking for more than that; it's currently paying OHA almost $10 million annually for what it agrees it owes, but other revenues from ceded lands are not included in that amount. At one point, the kanaka maoli had over 1.8 million acres of ceded land. I think $100 million is a bargain for the state. And look what it would do to help the kanaka maoli, the "owners" of the land: more of them could have houses of their own, and their standard of living would increase dramatically. But you would probably also have infighting among the kanaka maoli and OHA over blood quantums, etc. Maybe only kanaka maoli who can prove they are at least 50% blood quantum should be allowed to share in the money.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Does the State owe OHA $100 million?

Maybe only kanaka maoli who can prove they are at least 50% blood quantum should be allowed to share in the money.

Miulang[/QUOTE]

I hear what you are saying, but there has been so much mixing of race since the plantation that not many people are 50% Hawaiian, they have an inch of Hawaiian in them. There will always be fights even if they get what they want, they want more. Who can blame em? I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. Well just a thought nothing more.
    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Re: Does the State owe OHA $100 million?

I think the government should divest itself of all racist legislation and bureaucracy. OHA would be a good start.
      Last edited by mapen; July 18, 2005, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X