Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Omiyage I'm still looking to buy long after the trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omiyage I'm still looking to buy long after the trip.

One of my best friends here in RI is an ex-kama'aina, born in Honolulu, and lived a great portion of his life on O'ahu in Kalihi and later, in Pearl City. Dennis doesn't get to get home as nearly as often as I do, so when I myself do get back to Hawai'i, it's important for me not to forget the omiyage gifts I always bring back to him. He has always especially enjoyed the Japanese snacks, as well as crackseed, that I bring him back. He likes the usual Japanese goodies, like grape flavor Hi-Chews, Sakura arare, Pockys, etc., as well as Christopher's Good News bars (Hawai'is favorite!) but his all time favorite omiyage gift is a hard candy that I just call Japanese soda candy; in reality, it is formally known as "Kawaguchi Awawa".

Kawaguchi Awawa is a great little candy that comes in 5 soda flavors...strawberry, grape, cola, "cider", and I forget what the fifth flavor is. It's sold in highly colorful 6.4 oz. bags, with no English writing on it, other than the little stickers that marginally explain what it is. It's a candy that fizzes in your mouth, very similarly to the British import "Love Hearts", another effervesant confection. In keeping with traditional Japanese quality, each candy is individually wrapped. They retail here in the US for about $2.49 a bag. I always make it a point to bring Dennis back 3-4 bags of them. I promised that he'd have some when I got back last trip. Unfortunately, on my last trip over to Honolulu, I looked all over for this candy, and couldn't find a single bag. I went to the place that always has them: Daiei in PC. No luck. Then I went to the Daiei in Kailua. Again, no luck. Hit the Daiei on Keheka. Came up empty. I've have never seen Long's carry this candy, but I tried any way. I don't think there was a bag to be had when I was in Honolulu at that time. No Kawaguchi Awawa for Dennis this time!

Dennis kids me every now and then, in good spirit of course, about not getting his soda candy. I tell him that he'll get them again my next trip over. I think I can do better than this though, seeing I won't be back in HNL until December. Dennis' birthday is coming up soon, and I was thinking it would be so neat if I could get him a few bags of this candy to celebrate his big day. Only problem is that nobody around here as ever heard of them..about the only Japanese candy one sees around here is the rice-paper wrapped millet candy, and that is often a stretch to find.

I've been online, Googled "Kawaguchi Awawa" and have come with a lot of dead links or links to online stores that used to carry it but no longer do. I think it would so cool to present Dennis with this candy for his birthday..he'd be completely caught off guard. So I'm asking: Does anybody have any idea what I'm talking about, and if so, where can I get this candy online?

BTW, the web-site www.japanesesnacks.com isn't much help. That site seems to be the most difficult to navigate site to deal with. It's like an amalgamation of online stores, all linked under the japanesesnack url. Really sharp looking girl, though, grinding on some Pockys on the main page last time I visited.

Also: What's the status on Daiei? I knew back in February there was talk of Daiei shutting down operations in Hawai'i. What's the latest? I'd hate to see them go. I loved shopping there.

If any one can help, to steal from Stuart Scott on ESPN: Holla at me.
    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; July 9, 2005, 01:01 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar.

Re: Omiyage I'm still looking to buy long after the trip.

Hui Surfingfarmboy:
    Next time you visit the 'aina, some of the Beard Papa outlets should be up and running. Your friend would probably really like some Beard Papa cream puffs!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Mahalo for that link...very informative. Looks like I won't have to travel to Honolulu to bring those home as according to the article, Boston (less than 50 miles from where I live; a mere T-commuter ride away) gets it's own Beard Papa next week.

My aikane Dennis always had a soft spot in his heart for the Cocoa Puffs at Liliha Bakery, but no way I was going to try and bring the frozen ones I see for sale in front of the cash register and display cases at Liliha, back to RI as omiyage. (I've seen too many of those exhaustive ice cooler searchs at check-in by the USDA at HNL to even want to try to bring 'em home This is probably "wicked good" news to him, as it appears, based on the Advertiser article, Beard Papa pastries and Liliha's Cocoa Puffs are somewhat similar, save for the flavors.

I'm for sure going to try one next time I'm in the "Hub" (Boston)..never got the chance try them Shirokiya. (Oops..and bring some back to Dennis!)

Again, Thanks for the link!
      Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; July 13, 2005, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Okay, my son has three types of candy that are similar to your description. But not exactly. Are they round hard candies with a fizzy center or tablet shaped that are just fizzy or different than that?
        The ones he has have the Import stickers on them and are imported by
        GP Golden Pacific International INc.
        1580 Tennessee st. San Francisco, ca 94107

He has gotten some at the Mitsuwa store in San Jose California as well as the Mitsuwa in Los Angeles.

I'll look at the San Jose store for you next time I go.

Comment

I looked all over for your candy today ... could not find. Sorry! I spent quite a while at Daiei, even though you already went there, because it just seemed like they should have had it. I thought maybe they were out when you were there. I even checked Safeway out of desperation.

Sorry, SFB!

I was possessed. I love trying to find stuff -- it's like a scavenger hunt. I'll hunt around some more tomorrow, if I get time. Is it a soft package or a box? What color is the package?

Comment

SFB, have you got any photos?

Comment

Info for ExtraScoop: The candies, after being unwrapped from their metallically colorful wrappers, are a rounded oblong shape, (kind of like a shape of the very little plastic containers that cheap rings and trinkets are sold out of those gumball style machines, but even smaller) with a light tan color. It's a very hard candy that resists being ground down in the mouth, ala the way a Life Saver can. It has no center of powder, like the Italian import "Zots"; rather, the whole candy is imbued with effervesance so that as one consumes it, the fizziness is noted from the start and lasts "the life" of the candy when being consumed.

For Glen: The best I can do is enclose a link to the only image I found...I'm pretty sure this is bag that was used a couple of years ago; it's been updated since. If I recall, the new bag is blue, but with the same basic concepts on it. BTW, I love your new avatar of the mejiro (am I right?) bird.

Link to Kawaguchi pic

For MadAzza: Mahalo for your time and efforts! Daiei is about the only place I ever found this candy; mainstream places like Long's, Safeway, and Foodland, et al, don't seem to carry the more obscure imports. But I do appreciate your efforts! BTW, it is a soft hanging bag, usually found not far from the White Rabbits at Daiei. Sometimes, especially at the Daiei Kailua, the area where Kawaguchi awawa is sold is in a mess. Often times it looks like a worker there said "Humbug..I'm not sorting all this candy out", and got up and left a pile all just lumped together.
              Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; July 14, 2005, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Hmm. I haven't seen it but you should also try crack seed stores. For example, Doe Fang in Aina Haina, or others like it. Or perhaps Shirokiya.

ps. Yup, that's a mejiro all right. Perky little bugger.

Comment

Working...
                X