Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help in switching from MSN to Gmail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in switching from MSN to Gmail?

I need help! I'm in the process of switching from MSN to gmail. I had the gmail account a couple of months but was to lazy to do the transferring of files. Actually, I don't know how to do it. I try to follow the gmail instructions but get stuck on the first sentence. Not funny. Good thing is that I found my password! LOL

I emailed all my contacts to give them my new email address. However, there are a few files I want to keep. Anybody know of an easy way to do it?

Currently, I have Hawaiian Tel as my land line and internet server. I have Dial-up by choice due to my computer that I use that has 98 windows. I pay an average of $ 70.00 per month for both. MSN wants to charge me $ 29.99 for another year's service...because I don't have DSL which gives it as a bonus. Auwe!

Anybody using any better plans and services?

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Need help in switching from MSN to Gmail?

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    I try to follow the gmail instructions but get stuck on the first sentence. Not funny.

you are wrong there.
    That IS funny.

Comment

Congrats on going with Gmail. I don't understand why you're paying for MSN, though. Is MSN providing you anything else but e-mail services? I know MSN is also an ISP, but if you're paying for Hawaiian Telcom's internet service, why have both? Isn't MSN's e-mail service Hotmail? Isn't that free?

And by "files," do you mean you have MSN e-mail messages you want to hold on to, or do you have actual documents and other files saved with them, somehow?

If you mean e-mail messages only, and if this is actually Hotmail you're talking about, you can just hold onto your Hotmail account -- just log in every month so they don't delete it. If you're actually using commercial MSN services ($30 a month for what?), and want to cancel, though, I have no idea what happens.

Your best bet in either case is to save everything you want to save to your computer, then archive it on CDROM or something.

Comment

I wanted to ask you but you were soooo busy yesterday. My problem is small but thank you for answering it. You come through everytime for me.

I got MSN as a bonus when I had DSL. It continued free, formally telling me that it will be cancelled if I don't re-new. I'm just interested in keeping some emails I recieved from several special people in my life.

I think I'll just copy and paste each one. Too hard in trying to make some kinda file and import it to gmail. Gmail is quite different but once I get it...it will be better. Their format and file system is much better.

The nerve of MSN trying to charge me for an hot mail account! I'm dumping both! LOL

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          I'm just interested in keeping some emails I recieved from several special people in my life.
          I'm far from being a "techie", but... can't you just forward those e-mails from your old account to your new one? Then check your new account to make sure they arrived intact... then, no worries.
          I think.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thank you LikaNui. Although it's tiresome, I'm in the process of doing it. Such humbug but it will be worth it. Gmail.com is excellent!

Lynn

Comment

hey, did you do what likanui suggested? that makes sense and it's the easiest way, i think. just open each email that you want to save and then click the forward button and type in your gmail account email address and send it to yourself. see what she means?

i've never subscribed to aol or msn or anything like that so i may be mistaken but whenever i see those aol commercials on tv, i want to scream. they make it sound like they're giving you so much (spam protection, etc.) when in fact you can get all of that stuff for free.

good luck and post your questions again if you run into a roadblock.
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Mahalo to Pz, LikaNui and Shaveice. Just completed transferring what I wanted to keep.

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                  I'm far from being a "techie", but... can't you just forward those e-mails from your old account to your new one? Then check your new account to make sure they arrived intact... then, no worries.
                  I think.
                  You could but the forwarded email would not contain the original headers of the message, so if you attempted to reply to one of them it would have gone to the first email account in which case to her MSN account. Depending on what features the email application the thing to look for would be "bounce" or "resend". I know pine and Outlook has this feature but not Outlook Express.

Comment

gmail is da bomb!! booom!! free 2gb whea can u go wrong wit dat??

i jus fwd all my mails to gmail etc.

auntie lynn when u get 50 invites make some moa accts fo urself so u no get spam lidat.

den use each email acct jus for one ting like online sweepstakes etc.

so no moa spam!!
                    Reggie aka pinakboy
                    Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                    Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                    Recipe Tube TV!
                    Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Pinakboy, thanks for the advice. I did see the 50 invites on the left panel, didn't use it yet...now I know what to do with it. I find it easier and sooo great using gmail!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

Comment

Working...
                      X