Good local job search sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good local job search sites?

I submitted my resume to just about every employeer on Career builder that's related to computers, and only 3 replied with interviews (1 was 808 Communications (which I didn't hear from yet) and the other two I dropped because they wanted someone who could drive [if I had a car, then I wouldn't need a job, because I'd be paying for the payments and insurance])

Are there other local sites other than career builder?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Good local job search sites?

Career Builder is the Honolulu Advertiser partner, right? Well, Monster.com is the Star-Bulletin partner. But these are both national job listing directories, not local.

My recommendation is to do some of your job applications the old fashioned way -- with paper, ink, and stamps. Sure, online sites mean you can apply to twenty jobs with the click of the mouse, but employers also know how easy it is, and can treat an inbox full of applications with similar respect. A good cover letter and a resume sent to the addresses printed in the newspaper can probably have more impact than being one of ten thousand e-mails.

The job market for entry-level stuff doesn't get much better than it is right now, but that still doesn't mean you shouldn't work at making the right impression. Even if I was desperate for a clerk or something, I'd be picky about who I hired and just go without if no candidates impressed me.

Comment

I like workin for the state and city government

try these sites:

http://www.ehawaiigov.org/dhrd/statejobs/html/

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/hon...fm?action=jobs

or these companies are allright

HECO

Oceanic

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
        if I had a car, then I wouldn't need a job, because I'd be paying for the payments and insurance
        Once I figure out what that sentence means, I might reply to it.

Others have already suggested to you that it'll be harder for you to get a job if you don't have wheels, but apparently you're dead set against it.
        Also, check the job listings at Craigslist.com.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          Once I figure out what that sentence means, I might reply to it.

Others have already suggested to you that it'll be harder for you to get a job if you don't have wheels, but apparently you're dead set against it.
          Also, check the job listings at Craigslist.com.
          My parents won't pay for a car, and I'm worried how I'll get a car if I don't have any money.

Plus, I drive alone (possibly) 95% of the time (from Waipahu to Downtown) so I'll just be contributing to the traffic and pollution, and parking will be a pain at school. If I only drive to work, then I better have a set plan, study good and still manage to help out at home, not to mention the commute to and from school, be it via the bus or car.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Does your college have any student employment programs? Maybe you can look up some computer related job postings at your school and apply for any of those positions.

I think this would be a good match for you since the job would be on campus, so no driving would be required. Since you are just getting started and don't have any job experience yet, this would be a good way to get some work experience before getting your "dream" job after you graduate from college.

While going to school at UH Manoa, the on-campus job I worked had flexible work schedules. They also accomodate you when you have midterms and finals.

Comment

Working...
            X