Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about.com autocracy...

about autocracy...

All this time I assumed that particular online info sharing thing, "about.com" was well, for sharing... info... learning.
    Not so:
    Through a search on the PCC, found some guy's post there, wherein he covers some details and complains there's not being enuff shade there and he will be back so there better be some changes.
    I registered and added my inside info on the PCC and also commented; islanders are not too enthusiastic about outsiders coming here and complaining.

After we went back and forth and I tried to clarify, my 5 or 6 posts were deleted. Apparently it goes like this:
    On each subject, they have an expert. (That's an expert, not; ANNE Expert.)
    And ya don't even remotely come close to challenging the expert's golden pearls of wiz dumb and his proclamations from on high. And if the subject's about Hawaii, they wanna give only outsider's views and not consider or read an islander's perspective, at least one that may clear up misconceptions or lay to plain view some nasty truths that many haole or tourists would prefer not hearing. (kinda like what we discuss here when the subject's brought up) .
    Here was my last post, which lasted all of one half hour on the site, then was deleted:

I happened upon the review of PCC via a search. Bob's comments sounded like so many other things we hear from outsiders, that are mostly ignored by islanders, cuz on the surface it doesn't bother most people, or they don't let it appear so. But when kama'aina get together , we "whine and complain" about the completely different culture america has and how we speak a different language here in so many respects. And we point out how many of us are very tired of hearing complaints and demands and opinions... little inconsequential manini stuffs; "Oh, there's 45% shade there but should be 55% shade". (And the resultant arguements and justifications when we question it.) Blowhard haoles pushing and griping their way through their one or two week vacation, or bring their abraisive El Lay ways with them and help destroy the aloha spirit on the roads, in the supermarkets, on the streets, beaches... Naaah. consider yerself lucky. ya just got the tip of the iceberg.
    These islands MAY be the 50th state, but make no mistake, It IS a different country. With it's own approach to life. and I am witness to the ugly american syndrome for almost half a century here. and it ain't a pretty sight.
    Oh, sure. there are many exceptions to the rule. And we all are appreciative of the great folks from around the world we meet. I hang at Waikiki beach often and love meeting many intriguing people from all parts of the globe. And many are kind, considerate, intelligent, open, non-judgemental... But when for example; you see tourists fully clothed, walking with their shoes on at the shorebreak, littering, spitting into our water and sand. throwing their cigarette butts into the water where keiki play. leaving thrash, drinks, plates, anything and everything on the beach because they consider the world their trash can. We understandably get somewhat hypersensitive. And there ARE too many instances here where haoles are very happy and quick to tell us how it's done on the mainland.
    Again; many exceptions to the rule... But of course, a few bad apples spoil it.
    Last edited by kimo55; July 12, 2005, 04:50 PM.

Re: about.com autocracy...

I've seen it many times too. Amazing how someone can come to wonderful Hawai'i on vacation and still just find things to complain about. I have to admit that I have days living here that are difficult, but usually am so thankful for sooo many things that I get over it quickly. When on vacation there's less of life's full-time pressures. So "Just hang loose". Enjoy, Brah!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Re: about.com autocracy...

yea and more than just the Hawaii angle, I assumed about.com was a big substantial going concern. Turns out it's not much more than a petty limited little clique with no outside differring perspectives allowed. like a little boy's treehouse club.

Comment

Working...
      X