Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Shower Help...

Aloha

The wife and I are having our fist keiki in a few months but most of our family is on the mainland. We'll be there in a month for the actual shower but we dont know what to do as far as the gifts go. Should we have people ship them? Should we register in a store here in on the Big Isle and try to pick up the gifts? We dont want our friends and family to have to pay the extra cost of shipping. So, what do you all think?

Mahalo!

Re: Baby Shower Help...

you're gona be miserable if you have to haul a bunch of stuff back with you on the airplane. the airlines are now overly strict on how much luggage you can take & maximum weight, and their charges for excess luggare are excessive.
    maybe you could make a list of things you want/need, and let your family members choose which item they'd like to "buy", and just have them give you the money instead and you buy the item here. as you know, if they have to ship items, the shipping charges could end up being more than the cost of the items! having an envelope with a check enclosed might not be as fun as opening a present, but it is much more practical considering the logistics of either bring stuff back as luggage or having to ship.
    LUCKY YOU, baby #1, congratulations!!

Comment

I'd say have a small "in person" shower, where it's more about getting together, trading stories, looking at pictures and maybe exchanging token items... but as far as the "real" shower gifts, I'd second the "register online" option, or basically have the presents arrive where they're going to end up. A full shower's worth of goodies is way too much to lug through an airport. These days, 'virtual showers' and all-online gift giving isn't anything unusual.

Comment

If I were you, I'd ask for gift cards for Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Sam's Club and Costco. (I'm not sure Sam's is on the Big Island).
        You'd be surprised at what you DON'T need and wish you hadn't spent, or had someone else spend, the money on it.
        Here's my list of MUST HAVES!

1. collapsible umbrella stroller, with flip over canopy. This is something I could not find in Hawaii 5 years ago and had someone send me two from the mainland.
        2. Jogger stroller. I had a double and a single, they got a lot of miles on them as we only have one vehicle so I'd pile the girls in (21-months age difference) and we'd do errands: post office, safeway, All of it! Never went into stores if the double didn't fit in the aisles.
        3. Snugli-The kind where your kid hangs in front of you? Facing you until she can hold her head up? I LOVE those! I went through three. That's a good gift idea, light to send. I Snuglied my kids until their feet were touching my knees, LOL!
        4. Bedroom monitor. Girls share a room so I now listen to be sure they're being nice to each other. That thing has served me well. First Alert. I'm sure they've gotten more sophisticated. It was a baby shower gift that got sent from the mainland.
        5. Graco Pac-n-Plays: I had one at grandmas, one in our bedroom for the newborn to sleep in, one in the playroom for the kids to hangout in before they were big enough to wander into trouble. I took them along when we traveled. I never had a crib. My kids always slept in these. They have all kinds of attachments and sheets are easy to get at toys are us.
        6. Boppy. Each girl still has her own boppy, with new covers, also from Toys R Us. To me it is a reminder of all that breastfeeding I did! They stay on their beds now cuddling dolls and teddy bears.

Check out today's Advertiser's business section. I think it's page three where there's a story about this very subject.

I filled out a wish list on baby.com or one of those websites and let my family on the mainland know. that's how I got what I wanted.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Instead of gift cards, write them a check and put it in a nice congratulations card. Checks may seem less personal, but when you buy gift cards, all the accumulated interest on that money goes to the benefit of the store, not to you and not to your gift recipient.

Comment

Working...
          X