Hula Halau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hula Halau

I want to learn hula - kahiko and / or modern - and am confused about the variety of schools, kumus and prices. I'm learning Hawaiian but haven't done any Polynesian dancing so far. And I am a fairly Caucasian-looking European/Roma... does this disqualify me from anything but the stuff offered for curious tourists (for $$$$)? Yes? No? Any suggestions?

Re: Hula Halau

Oh, certainly not. If you look at the hula hālau around the islands, you will see the occasional haole face. What's important is what's in your heart; your attitude and your willingness to learn. I've never done hula, but watching my friends who do, it's really an entire way of life, not just a hobby.

Comment

I'd suggest that you go to the Prince Lot Hula Festival tomorrow and talk to a lot of folks there.
      See http://starbulletin.com/2005/07/15/features/index.html .
      Good luck to you!
      And no shame about being haole. I remember a performance once where this blonde-haired blue-eyed Southern California beach bunny looking girl asked if she could hula for the band. We thought she'd do one of those horrible tourist versions, but no... da wahine was an *awesome* hula dancer. World class.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui

And no shame about being haole. I remember a performance once where this blonde-haired blue-eyed Southern California beach bunny looking girl asked if she could hula for the band. We thought she'd do one of those horrible tourist versions, but no... da wahine was an *awesome* hula dancer. World class.
        That reminds me of this one time years ago when I went to the now defunct Shipley's Ale House in Manoa Marketplace to listen to Hawaiian music performed by the group "Na 'Oiwi" and this "blonde-haired blue-eyed Southern California beach bunny looking girl" who happened to be there celebrating her birthday with a table full of other "blond-haired blue-eyed" people just got up from her chair and did an impromptu hula right where she stood that knocked my socks off!! You could tell that she'd had years of hula training and it was a major chicken skin experience for me that got me all choked up especially because she looked so haole and had the na'au -- the guts and the confidence to do her kumuhula proud! After the song was over, the whistles and applause was deafening.

Hula is an art form that shines through the person's soul and supersedes the color of your skin.

Comment

The nice thing about hula is that anybody can hula. Hula doesn't discriminate...you can be any race, any size, and age. The Japanese love hula and everything Hawaiian (like Jake and Keali'i). There are lots of halau in Japan now. Like everybody said previously: it's the spirit and love of hula that transcends race, color or creed. So nothing wrong with a blonde, blue eyed kamaaina doing the hula, as long as that person learns everything that that entails.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X