Downloadable books from HSPLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloadable books from HSPLS

Hello now, what's this? I was on the Hawai'i State Public Library System's web page, heading for the regular catalog, and noticed this link to http://hawaii.lib.overdrive.com, where the Library offers PDF or audio versions of books for download. Huh!

There's a "first time users" notice that reads:

Important information for first time users

Requirements:

Adobe Reader version 6.0.0 or higher, Mobipocket Reader, and/or OverDrive Media Console is required to download and enjoy digital books.

These digital books use a security system called Digital Rights Management (DRM), this protects the copyright of the digital book. To read Digital Books To Go you need to activate DRM. Activation is automatic if you are using Adobe Reader 6.0.1 or higher. If you are using Adobe 6.0.0 you will need to create and activate either a .NET Passport or an Adobe account. We highly recommend you upgrade to 6.0.1 or create an Adobe account.

Mobipocket assigns a unique ID to each device you register to protect the copyright of the book. You can register up to three devices with Mobipocket.

OverDrive Media Console utilizes Windows Media Player® 9 Series to play audio files, burn audio book files to CD, and transfer files to portable devices. The first time that Windows Media Player attempts to open a protected file, it will alert you that a Security Update must be performed before the file may be opened.

Recommendation:

We recommend that you upgrade your Adobe Reader to 6.0.1, install Mobipocket Reader for PC on your computer or PDA, and/or install OverDrive Media Console.

To access these digital books you will need:

* A valid library card
    * Free digital book software for your PC or PDA: Adobe Reader, Mobipocket Reader, and/or OverDrive Media Console
    * Brief access to the Internet

Try it in 4 easy steps:

1. On your home, school, or work computer or PDA, download, install, and register the two free reader software applications.
    2. Select digital books to read.
    3. Check your digital books out with your library card.
    4. Download and enjoy!

If you have additional questions about this service please review Digital Book Help
    Does anyone have experience with these Mobipocket and OverDrive packages? Any bad experiences? I am reluctant to install DRM-related software onto my PC unless I know exactly what it's going to do.

Re: Downloadable books from HSPLS

I downloaded a book from there the other day and Adobe reads it just fine. You don't need to use their software.

I stumbled across this link earlier this week and downloaded a free one here. Same thing, after you unzip it, it can be easily read in Explorerer.

http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm

Comment

Considering how things are being done and new technologies making everything at the touch of a finger...Libraries could become obsolete? Nah, they will always be around for us to enjoy the hard copy and feel of a book. Somehow, reading something online can not match the holding of a book when there's suspense, or a book so gentle when reading a romantic novel. Then theres the ever ready Librarian to assist when in need. The best is the tranquility and ambience of a Library that can never be replace by having to read it alone.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Considering how things are being done and new technologies making everything at the touch of a finger...Libraries could become obsolete? Nah, they will always be around for us to enjoy the hard copy and feel of a book. Somehow, reading something online can not match the holding of a book when there's suspense, or a book so gentle when reading a romantic novel. Then theres the ever ready Librarian to assist when in need. The best is the tranquility and ambience of a Library that can never be replace by having to read it alone.

Auntie Lynn
        Another reason why libraries won't become obsolite, is that they have a quiet place to read the book(s) at, and you really can't read an electronic book when there's a blackout (or on your bed if you want to get in a quick read before you sleep)
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

did you see this article in today's "paper"?

http://starbulletin.com/2005/08/07/news/index6.html
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Here's an article from CNN that gives some helpful explanations as to how it all works. What I didn't realize is that there are DRM features built in so that the PDF books will "expire" after the lending period is over, and you wouldn't be able to open them past that date. Clever.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
              Another reason why libraries won't become obsolite, is that they have a quiet place to read the book(s) at, and you really can't read an electronic book when there's a blackout (or on your bed if you want to get in a quick read before you sleep)
              Not to mention, you can't read an electronic book in the bathtub either!

Comment

Working...
              X