Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

So, I know our dear Link went to check out the midnight madness for the new Harry Potter book, as did Scrivener (probably reading it as I type). A gal from Hawaii is doing a Harry Potter podcast, PotterCast. And I saw a giant stack of the book being swarmed over at CostCo.

So who's got it? Who's reading it? Whaddya think?

Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Picked up the book at 6 AM with zero hassle. Started reading it at 6:30. 9 hours later, with an excruciating forced nap nudged in there, I finished it. My back is killing me from sitting on my bed and attempting to find more comfortable ways to read.

Erm, I still can't figure out why my spoiler tags won't work...maybe someone can fix it for me later, but here are my thoughts...

Good book overall. I'm not going to lie, I was slightly disappointed at parts, it felt slightly unfulfilling. This book was different than the others. Darker, surely. Felt quite a bit more mature, as Harry was also more mature. It's a welcome change, just not one that I'm quite used to yet. While I'm glad it wasn't unnecessarily long and drawn out like some parts earlier in OotP, it felt a little empty.

This book was especially very plot/character focused. I was hoping to read more about certain characters, but I was pleased otherwise. I wasn't really liking all the romance in the book. I'm not even really convinced about Harry/Ginny (I hate to admit that I was dying to see Harry and Hermione hook up). I nearly choked on my water when Harry seriously suggested that Tonks may have been in love with Sirius. I expected Tonks to get together with Lupin, but I dunno. I wasn't feeling the all snogging talk. But if Tonks has to bunk with Lupin to show up more in the next book then fine with me! Er, yeah, sorry, Tonks is just my fave after Hermione...

The HBP revelation was not one to cross my mind. I actually do pity poor Draco. And Dumbledore, well, most everyone saw that coming, I thought it'd be in Book 7, though. Depressing moment despite knowing it was coming. Still not really sure what to make of this. My head is still swimming from taking in all the book info.

Time for another much more thorough reading. Still feeling the excitement of having just finished the book, can't say whether I think this'll be my favorite from now on, but that was a good read all the same. Quite revealing.
    Last edited by helen; July 16, 2005, 11:40 PM. Reason: fixing the spoilers
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

The delivery man finally brought it to us at around noon yesterday from Amazon.
      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I didn't actually pick it up Friday night. The line was so long that even after I took my pictures (link here) I would have had to wait about 30-45 minutes. I stopped by the same store Saturday morning and got it. I've read about 300 pages so far, and it's good.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Thanks to Mitchell, I picked up my copy early on Saturday morning and did almost nothing else all day until I had finished it.

Potter fans never need to worry about whether his creator will disappoint us.

Comment

I don't know how they will cut this book into a two and a half hour movie... the best they can do is to do a "Kill Bill" with vol. 1 and 2. To leave anything out would be a shame.
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

good to hear! I am reading the series for the first time,I'm half way thru the second book.My friends 14yr old daughter loaned them to me when I said I heard they were good.I'm looking forward to telling her how much I liked em.I don't remember ever laughing out loud so many times with any other read.
              Kids are so cool

Comment

Working...
              X