Earthquake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake!

Anybody else feel it this morning (Sunday) at 9:15am? Was one *big* jolt here on Oahu's windward side!
    Epicenter was 69 miles south of Hilo. Dat's one looooong way for da shaker to be felt clear over here.
    Already one story about it on the Advertiser's website.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Earthquake!

Wow so it wasn't me! You mentioned the time and that's when I felt it. I remember because I was still in bed and my wife is telling be to get up to get ready for church. So I'm just cruising and I thought it was just some involuntary muscle reflex and laid there tripping out that my body could do that without me controlling it... "is this what Parkinson's is like?". Then I just asked my wife about it just now and she said that yeah she felt it too and also thought it was just her haha.

It seemed like it went on for at least 10-15 seconds... not sure, but it wasn't a short one.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      Anybody else feel it this morning (Sunday) at 9:15am? Was one *big* jolt here on Oahu's windward side! .

damn
      cat's outta the bag.
      about that time she said:
      "oh i love it when you make the earth move."

ah well...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

damn
        cat's outta the bag.
        about that time she said:
        "oh i love it when you make the earth move."
        My wahine told me da same thing...except I had beans and cabbage da night before...

Comment

My wife felt both eathquakes! I seem to have bad luck feeling earthquakes. I was in SF'89 for the big one. I was driving on a bridge and didn't even feel that one either

I wonder if somethings up with the big boy. Three 5+ mag in two days.

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/hi/index.html

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

I guess Mauna Loa is not the source:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maunaloa/current/main.html

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

I didn't feel nothing! I was in the Drive Thru at Jack-In-The-Box ordering breakfast. Mama didn't say anything except rooting for Tiger Woods at the British Open. Shucks! We missed the shake, rattle and roll!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Being out here in Keaau, and sleeping like a log I didn't even notice anything. I thought it was a big dog that knocked over my wheelbarrow. I only felt one earthquake back in the late 70's on Oahu. You could hear it first as a rolling thunder then the ground shook and our chandelier started rocking back and forth. I remember the dogs were howling just before the rumbling started.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hey Craig! I remember that one in the 70's! I was a Senior in High School...everybody was scared, even the Football jocks! LOL

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Was this on Oahu? Sorry, missing something here.......never knew ISLANDS had earthquakes!
                    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane
                      Was this on Oahu? Sorry, missing something here.......never knew ISLANDS had earthquakes!
                      Sure they do. Here's a map of where the recent ones were.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane

Islands are just smaller areas of the earth that rise above the ocean. They're not, as many may still believe, independent floating thingies.
                        Last edited by lurkah; July 19, 2005, 02:28 PM.

Comment

i live througdh a mild earthquake when i was living in the bay area...spooky chit, man...i was alone in a giant house perched atop a steep hill...i had a survival plan worked out in my head before the shuddering ceased...nothing like a natural calamity to put you in touch with those atavistic survival vibes we're all wired with...
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

so what are you supposed to do if inside a house? I remember to stand under a doorway. To me I'd get the heck outta the house before it comes crashing down on me.

There's supposed to be this major rift running between Diamond Head and Punchbowl crater on Oahu and it's long overdue for an earthquake. Hmmm isn't that the greater Honolulu metro area? As seismically active as the Big Island is, I'm glad I moved here.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I felt it distinctly and made a note of the time. But I was, ah, sitting and thinking in the bathroom, and in situations like that, your senses are heightened. The missus, not far away, was oblivious. But she says that all the time when I ask her if she felt anything.
                              Last edited by buzz1941; July 23, 2005, 03:09 PM.
                              Burl Burlingame
                              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X