5 Questions: The Last Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Questions: The Last Time

Answer these nonthreatening questions as vaguely, as specifically, as concisely, or as verbosely as you'd like, but let us know:
    1. When were you most recently given a flower lei?
    2. When did you most recently experience Buyer's Remorse?
    3. When was your most recent trip to the emergency room?
    4. When did you most recently spend a night in a bed not your own?
    5. When did a movie, television show, or book last make you cry?
    Last edited by scrivener; July 18, 2005, 12:27 AM. Reason: Three Ducks Walk Silently in a Row
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: 5 Questions: The Last Time
      Yesterday, at the graduation party of one of my students. It was an orchid lei with huge, cool flowers.
      Last weekend, I picked up a roll of contact paper and a plastic Sterlite container for a little project I'm working on. I realized when I got home that there were better, less-expensive options for what I wanted to create. I took them both back a few days later and got cash back from Longs on what was initially a credit-card purchase. I was a little cash-poor, so I was quite pleased.
      Third weekend in March. I'd banged my elbow on a classroom door a few days before, and only that weekend did it swell up, as discussed in that month's HawaiiThreads Trivia Game.
      Last August, I spent a couple of nights in Hilo and a night in Kona. In Hilo I stayed at a bed & breakfast; in Kona, I stayed at Uncle Billy's Kona Bay, my favorite place on that side.
      I've been a total fountain lately, but for some reason I can't remember the last time the cause of the waterworks wasn't my own emotional distress. Oh, I know. Even though I've seen the movie a kazillion times with no problem, the last few times I've seen The Princess Bride, I've totally lost it when, at the very end, Fred Savage says, "Grandpa, you can come back tomorrow and read it again, if you want to." And Peter Falk looks right back and says, "As you wish." Aaa! I'm getting misty right now, just typing about it!

Fun questions, scrivener! Thought-provoking and interesting! Can't wait to see how others respond!
    Last edited by scrivener; July 18, 2005, 12:46 AM. Reason: "It's just a sprinkling for the May-queen..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      Answer these nonthreatening questions as vaguely, as specifically, as concisely, or as verbosely as you'd like, but let us know:
      1. Unfortunately too long ago. About 18 months ago when I last visited my family in Honolulu. It was puakenikeni and it smelled wonderful!

2. Fortunately a long time ago, when I was going to UH. I was walking home, took off my new painful shoes and walked barefoot on the hot sidewalk. I didn't realize how hot until I got home and the balls of my feet were one big blister(probably wasn't as dramatic as it sounds but it was still pretty bad). I ended up going to the Hawaii Kai Emergency Clinic and they had to lance the blisters and bandage 'em up. Never did something stupid like that again...

3. Last Christmas time, visiting my mom in CA.

4. A week ago Saturday, watching the excellent movie 'Crash'. I'd mention the scene but it would spoil it if you haven't seen the movie.

Comment

Question 1 answer: December 2004 at Lyman Field, Hilo.

Question 2 answer: Probably about three months ago when I realized the running shoes I bought in a large quantity were not giving me the performance I thought they were going to when I first tested them. Last fall, I bought a single pair to test run in. After putting down, over time, about 75 miles in them, I thought they were a good shoe, and worthy of buying in a large quantity, which I did not long after my initial assessment of them. (Runners tend to buy shoes they like in large quantities if they like them, as the shoe manufacturers are constantly "upgrading" their wares, and once a specific shoe has had its manufacturing run, one is not likely to see it again.) After running the Chicago and Honolulu marathons in this shoe (Mizuno Wave Precision 4s), I started to have negative feelings towards them. After this past spring and early summer running season, I've deceided I hate them.They may be a great shoe for another runner, but for me, they are just a bad fit. As it stands now, I'm slowly using up the remainder of this shoe supply and am in the process of evaluating my next shoe to train in, as well as run the 2005 edition of the Chicago and Honolulu Marathons in.

Question 3 answer: April 2004. The weather runners endured during the 2004 Boston Marathon was excessively hot, for early Spring day that year. The starting gun fired off in Hopkinton, MA saw a temp. in the early 80s; by the time most runners were crossing the finish line on Boyleston St., Copley Plaza, in Boston, it was near 90 degrees. Most entrants in the race had not experienced or run in this kind of heat, at that time, (or if ever!) in 2004. Also, remember, most marathoners prefer to run the 26.2 mile race with a temperature between 50 and 60 degrees and a cloudy sky. (That's why Honolulu starts its race at 5AM, in December; starting temp. for the HNL 26.2 is usually around 63 degrees) I finished the race in decent time, but like thousands of others that day, I paid the price for doing so, by ending up with severe leg cramps and extreme dehydration. In a scene repeated countless times by other runners at the finish line, I cramped up in both legs after finishing (both quads and calves) and fell straight down on my okole on Boyleston St. I couldn't move an inch; I was paralyzed. Then I vomited. Lord, it was a scene. It was a classic case of runner's heat exhaustion. I got hauled into the huge medical tent set up by the Boston Athletic Association by a wheelchair propelled by two Boston University co-ed babes and was administered an IV and some drug to ease my pain and cramping. (The BAA was expecting mass "casualities" that day, as the hot weather was predicted, and they were ready to treat every runner entered, if that had been necessary). About an hour later the IV and drugs alleviated my symptoms, the doctor who treated me graciously awarded me with my finisher's medal (very nice medal made from pewter) as I stood up in my cot, and maybe 5 minutes later, I was back on my (very sore) legs headed home.

Question 4 answer: December 2004.

Question 5 answer: I going to answer this honestly: I have never cried over any movie, TV show, or book.

Comment

July 23rd, Saturday, at the Mayor Wright Housing Cultural Fair

n/a

July 12, 2005 food Posioning!

March 2005 in Las Vegas (had to share with MAMA) LOL

Today...ongoing, Soap Operas!
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

-- Can't remember a time where I received one.

-- Bought a rare DVD from some guys at the swap meet, apparently new. But it didn't have any inserts or anything. It's just a thing with me, I like to have the chapter inserts, or manuals for video games. It just feels more complete.

-- Visited my bro in the ER this past May, nearly lost his left hand after an accident with an old glass door at his apartment. Last time I was in there was in 4th grade for a roach stuck in my ear, somehow.

-- About 6-7 years ago, there was a roach in my room while I was sleeping and I refused to go back in bed (see above and you'll know why I hate the little jerks so much), so I slept in my bro's bed. Of course, there was a roach crawling on some lei he had on the wall, so I slept on the futon instead. I hate this house.

-- Saturday afternoon when I finished Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince.
            myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
              Question 5 answer: I going to answer this honestly: I have never cried over any movie, TV show, or book.
              So you answered the others DIShonestly? hee!

You didn't even cry during that scene in Dumbo where they are taking his mommy away, and he and his mommy have their trunks entwined, and little Dumbo doesn't understand why his mommy is going off to prison, and the mean, bad people pull them apart, and their trunks slowly untwine, but they try to keep touching until the last possible second, and then little Dumbo is left alone without his mommy ... sniff ... sniff ... Waaaaaah!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

You didn't even cry during that scene in Dumbo where they are taking his mommy away, and he and his mommy have their trunks entwined, and little Dumbo doesn't understand why his mommy is going off to prison, and the mean, bad people pull them apart, and their trunks slowly untwine, but they try to keep touching until the last possible second, and then little Dumbo is left alone without his mommy ... sniff ... sniff ... Waaaaaah!!!

Comment

[*]When did a movie, television show, or book last make you cry?

when I viewed this:

http://tinyurl.com/cgxdj

I shed many a tear for the remorse and utter despondency I feel from the realisation of the condition of the whole of humanity as I realise THIS is the kinda stuff that entertains the masses nowadays...

(oh, yea. and I cry a frikken river of crocodile tears whenever i think how reality shows, and soap operas have such an incredible power over the uh.. minds. (for lack of a lesser word) of the proletariat, too.)
                  Last edited by kimo55; July 18, 2005, 01:21 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=scrivener]Answer these nonthreatening questions as vaguely, as specifically, as concisely, or as verbosely as you'd like, but let us know:
                    [list=1][*]When were you most recently given a flower lei?
                    Mother's Day. My mother-in-law helped Kid 1 make me a bougainvilia lei.
                    [*]When did you most recently experience Buyer's Remorse?
                    Interestingly enough, I feel buyer's remorse when I buy take-out food. I used to have a take-out food habit, but since I've become a mom, since we drive a van, since we pay a mortgage, my big regret is not making the time to make my family a good meal. And I like to cook, so that's another thing.
                    [*]When was your most recent trip to the emergency room?
                    When I checked in to have Kid II.
                    [*]When did you most recently spend a night in a bed not your own?
                    Over the Christmas holiday the family spent a couple of days at Kilauea Lodge in Volcano. We had Tutu's Cottage. Dreamy!
                    [*]When did a movie, television show, or book last make you cry?
                    A lot of times the evening news makes me cry, but that's not what you're looking for is it? I honestly cry during the evening news. I cried when the London bombings were reported and then the next day when I heard a report on NPR about how these children in Baghdad were blown to smitherines by a suicide bomber.
                    That song called "Four Birds" that is part of the Ohia PRoductions' "Voices in the Rainforest" show makes me cry, although the lyrics are quite inaccurate (if you ask me) as they blame pigs and mosquitos for the demise of the beautiful rain forest birds.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                      July 23rd, Saturday, at the Mayor Wright Housing Cultural Fair

n/a

July 12, 2005 food Posioning!

March 2005 in Las Vegas (had to share with MAMA) LOL

Today...ongoing, Soap Operas!
                      oops ...flower lei was given on July 18th! LOL
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

When were you most recently given a flower lei?
                        Last day of school in June...one of my students gave me a lovely rope pikake her grandma had made for me--I was so touched. It smelled soooo lovely.

When did you most recently experience Buyer's Remorse?
                        Spent hundreds getting my car fixed at Goodyear's...then found out later that my brother-in-law's friend could've fixed it for less than a quarter of what Goodyear charged me.

When was your most recent trip to the emergency room?
                        Luckily...I've never been...watch, I just jinxed myself.

When did you most recently spend a night in a bed not your own?
                        Saturday

When did a movie, television show, or book last make you cry?
                        A better question will be when did one not make me cry. I'm much too sensitive. Even something "happy" like seeing someone win something will make me cry. *sigh*

Comment

Got one of those cheap plastic flower leis at one of our corporate events.

About 4 years ago, paid too much money for a brand new Toyota 4Runner. I admit that was a time where I didn't know any better. Since then, been taking the effort to do research when it comes to car buying. Just recently, picked up a nice Honda SUV under dealer invoice!

Luckily, have not had to.

Last month.

Nope. Call me emotionless.

Comment

i would have been at a recent gig...the whole band got lei'd

sunday, a $13 sixpack of bud at olomana golf course

long ago, when i went through the windshield of a friend's car on tantalus...i walked back down the hill covered in blood after he was arrested for DUI and i went to straub the next morning

passed out in my old bedroom in manoa last week

i just finished a book called "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time"...i got a little misty there at the end...
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

When I came in last Christmas for my grandpa's wake and funeral

n/a

Several weeks before the birth of my first grandchild. I had to take my hapai daughter to the ER because of an infection (staph) on her foot. They ended up draining it and gave her antibiotics via IV.
                              The last time I was at the ER for treatment was when my saliva glands became infected and stopped producing saliva. I ended up taking antibiotics, sucking on sour candies and massaging my saliva glands to help promote saliva.

When I came in last Christmas for my grandpa's wake and funeral. Stayed at my parents home.

Those animal cop/emergency shows on the Animal Planet channel always make me cry. Especially when a family has to come to the decision to put their pet down....the "goodbyes" always cause me to tear up!
                              Lovena

Comment

Working...
                              X