Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where/how much did you spend for your school supplies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where/how much did you spend for your school supplies?

Its that time of year again: to go out and hunt for school supplies!

So, where did you get your supplies? How much did it cost you? Any tips for procrastinators?

I just did my shopping today at the Honolulu WalMart, and I spent just under $8 for 2 packs of papers, 3 notebooks, binder tabs, and a 1" binder.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Where/how much did you spend for your school supplies?

I remember those days.

Actually, I try to stock up on those things when they go in sale at either WalMart or Longs. I don't exactly know how much I spent, but it was usually less than $20.

Brings back memories of those fun college study days:

College ruled spiral notebooks with different colors. I like the spiral stuff since you could easily fold the notebook over during note taking sessions. Each color was for each course. I also took things a step further by getting a sharpie and label the top, bottom, and front spine of the notebook so I could easily pick out the correct notebook inside my book bag.

Mechanical pencils. Definately a must for engineering school. I had two types, 0.5 and 0.7. I used the 0.5 pencil most of the time. The 0.7 stuff was used when taking exams with the bubble in sheets. The thicker lead made it easier to bubble in the answer sheets.

Click erasers. Actually, I found these annoying when a bored student would click these during class or when other students click away during exams. These erasers worked well since they erased pencil mistakes easily.

One thing I hated with back to school was going to the crowded UH Bookstore. I remember the long lines and students hauling around book baskets. Of course, my most favorite part was shelling out at least $500 for all that stuff. The engineering books weren't cheap, so I'd spend time looking through all the "used" books and finding the best looking out of the bunch.

Comment

I don't buy school supplies for myself anymore, but rather, for my students. Well, let me correct that---I buy extras of stuff, for those who don't bring and/or who have parents that are just plain irresponsible.

A good place is Fisher Hawaii. If you frequent their dusty warehouse often, you will find some really good deals. 2 pocket/3 prong portfolios were on sale for 10cents each awhile back, and I got a whole lot of 1" binders for 50 cents each as well. Lots of other stuff is pretty reasonably priced as well. Just know your prices, because their sales people don't always know what is what.
      Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Hang on to those receipts, ttt: You know about that $250 educators' credit, yes?

As I keep mentioning, I started graduate school this semester, so I did spend some money on my own school supplies this year, and for required textbooks I spent $200. Add to that what looks like forty bucks for subscription to an online professional folio-keeping service (required by my program) and restocking my "traveling teacher's kit," which I long-ago raided for other uses because it's been ten years since I was last a student, and it's going to be close to three hundred bucks for the semester.

Guess I'll wait on that iPod nano.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

What gets me is that even in 7th(which my son is )grade they still have supply lists. Correct me if I'm wrong , but when I was his age back in the 70's , we only had "basic" supply lists up untill 6th grade. Are the keiki nowdays so unprepared that the school has to tell us what to buy?

Also, I don't see why we should supply the school with papertowels(3 for my child), soap, and kleenex. The custodiol budget should include these basic things.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
            Correct me if I'm wrong , but when I was his age back in the 70's , we only had "basic" supply lists up untill 6th grade. Are the keiki nowdays so unprepared that the school has to tell us what to buy?

Also, I don't see why we should supply the school with papertowels(3 for my child), soap, and kleenex. The custodiol budget should include these basic things.
            Alohabear, I want you to know that I sympathize. I've seen the supply lists and they can be demanding. However, I thought I'd try to explain some of what goes on with your kid's teacher, and maybe that'll make it seem more worth it.

First, supplies. There are parents like you who support your children's education and get them what they need when they need it. On the other hand, there are parents who seem to have difficulty with this once the school year has begun. A teacher needing students to save their computer work to floppy disks, for example, might preview a unit in early January, telling students to bring one floppy disk to school by the end of the month. In February, there will still be students without the needed supply. The teacher can either hold out for as long as he or she can or just go ahead and purchase the needed disks with his or her own money. Since so very much of a teacher's success at the job is based on planning and scheduling, which do you think he or she is going to choose? It's a lot easier getting that stuff at the beginning of the year, when everyone's eager and excited about school.

Second, paper towels (or tissue). Teachers are in a difficult position. They're supposed to run their classrooms effectively and efficiently, but they aren't always given the support they need in order to achieve this. In any bureaucracy, there are multiple steps and countless rules and procedures for simple things like getting more paper towels. One grouchy or unresponsive (or, to be fair, overworked) custodian can make this difficult, and teachers may find themselves waiting much too long for facial tissue. When a teacher's got a classroom full of sniffling students and no tissue in his or her room, he or she is either going to try and make do without the tissue, or reach down and pay for it himself or herself. Which do you think he or she is going to choose?

Sure, it's in the budget, but that budget needs to be watched, and if whoever doles out the paper goods thinks you're using up your share too quickly, he or she is forced to make tough calls, and that might be to make you wait a while before you get your materials.

Three rolls of paper towels cost each parent very little (I know, when you add the cost to the other supplies, it's not "very little" anymore), but imagine one teacher paying for that many paper towels; yet, a teacher WILL pay for those paper towels if it means a smoother, more comfortable learning environment.

We catch a lot of flak for test scores and letting kids fall through cracks, but we don't get enough credit just for making the classroom a safe, healthy environment -- something that takes unbelievable amounts of effort (and money) sometimes.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

What happen to days of giving kids "0's" for not being prepared? Back in the day we all had to get our supplies no matter what. Eh.. if you had to go a day w/out beer and pupu so the kids could get thier supplies so be it! I guess nowdays no more shame! Our parents made sure we had 'cause shame you no more. Back in my day if you couldn't afford the class trip, you nevah go... Nowdays those of us who can afford, got to fundraise for those who no can stay home.

Back to the paper towels and klennex ... My mom taught school with the DOE for 35 years and if she needed a box of tissuse for the class , she bought it . The kids shouldn't have to get yelled at for not bringing tissuse or paper towels.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                Its that time of year again: to go out and hunt for school supplies!

So, where did you get your supplies? How much did it cost you? Any tips for procrastinators?

I just did my shopping today at the Honolulu WalMart, and I spent just under $8 for 2 packs of papers, 3 notebooks, binder tabs, and a 1" binder.
                I learned to rethink the school supplies issue and have spent the last several years doing my annual "home office stock-up" during the one time of year when these supplies are the cheapest. No more counting how many marble tablets each kid needs. If Longs is selling them for $0.50 ea, then I'll buy 30, and the kids know which shelf to go to and grab as they need. Same goes for paper, pens (which we seem to drink), generic 3-rings, etc etc etc. In the long run, I save quite a bit in both time and money doing it this way. I probably buy 2x the school list amount, but again, if it keeps me out of OfficeMax, it stops me from buying those additional trinkets (I'm a sucker if its "ergo") which becomes unused clutter within months...

pax

Comment

I think we got my supplies from Long's a long time ago. I just always seem to have paper lying around, so we usually don't need to buy anything. I've been using the same mechanical pencil since 7th grade (it cost me a dollar, too). I usually pop into the bookstore at HCC to get an eraser if I have to, that's also where I get anything else I need. I bought a small binder from there back in 2004 that I don't use much. I have tons of old composition books and notepads, and a huge box of manila folders that mom got a long time ago, so I just grab those and use 'em when I need 'em. I don't think I spent more than $25 on supplies in the past three years. We found a graphing calculator (new, too) in an abandoned shopping cart once at Costco. Texas Instruments calc, TI-83, I think? Anyway, mom took it, so now it's mine :x My textbooks and other things cost about $300.
                  myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                    Back to the paper towels and klennex ... My mom taught school with the DOE for 35 years and if she needed a box of tissuse for the class , she bought it . The kids shouldn't have to get yelled at for not bringing tissuse or paper towels.
                    My parents also taught in DOE for many, many years. I don't know what's happened with kids having to bring in paper towels and kleenex, but like Scrivener mentioned, I assume it has to do with custodial budgets or whatnot. Even with cutting papertowels into fourths, the kids still run through them. When the time comes when I run out of papertowels, I'll address the situation. But I have to draw the line somewhere with spending all my money on classroom supplies. Regarding parents, lucky you are responsible. Not all are like you.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                      Hang on to those receipts, ttt: You know about that $250 educators' credit, yes?

As I keep mentioning, I started graduate school this semester, so I did spend some money on my own school supplies this year, and for required textbooks I spent $200. Add to that what looks like forty bucks for subscription to an online professional folio-keeping service (required by my program) and restocking my "traveling teacher's kit," which I long-ago raided for other uses because it's been ten years since I was last a student, and it's going to be close to three hundred bucks for the semester.

Guess I'll wait on that iPod nano.
                      Yes, I do know about the $250 educators' credit. I keep being reminded. It's a matter of, hmmmm...which receipts do I use? I have so many to choose from....and if I were to add it all up, it's waaaaaay over $250.

Sorry, what are you going to grad school for? Education? I'm so glad grad school is over for me. That was a long 2 years. Good luck with the studying.

Comment

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
                        Sorry, what are you going to grad school for? Education? I'm so glad grad school is over for me. That was a long 2 years. Good luck with the studying.
                        I'm in the very first cohort of the brand-new HPU M.Ed. program. It's pretty exciting. I'm in my tenth year teaching and decided it would be a good year to finally get the danged master's degree.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

huh?
                          whudder "school supplies"?

ooooh yea.
                          well I'm so old the most i prolly spent per year woulda been 64 cents.

Comment

Just joining the chorus. Mom's worked in the school system for over 30 years, and there's no telling how much of her own money went into her classroom. If we added it all up, I wouldn't be surprised if her pay-minus-expenses was half her salary.

As for us, school supplies weren't just a once-a-year cost. At my kids' last public school, we were forking out $50+ a month on extras, like snacks, craft supplies, field trip fees, etc. I'm sure it enhanced their educations, but it was a kick in the teeth the the family budget. Whoever said public school is free hadn't attended my kids' elementary school.

Now that we homeschool, I spend a fraction of the costs. We stay stocked, and school supplies is the same as family supplies. For our family, homeschooling four kids has been MUCH cheaper than two kids in public school.
                            ~'Ailina

Comment

I spent just over $1000 for this school year. One of my kids goes to a public charter school up here on the Big Island and he's the only one that isn't a Title 1 kid and the only one that could afford the luxuries of school supplies, so for my annual donation to the school I donated all the school supplies for his entire 2nd grade level at his school.

That along with school supplies for the rest of my kids including two at UH $1,000 didn't go very far indeed.

So much for my Plasma TV set for this year
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X