Whale Rider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whale Rider

If you didn't have a chance to see this movie on the big screen, you have a chance to see it on PBS this coming Sun. at 8 p.m. (your Hawaii PBS station). If you love movies that have no violence and that have socially redeeming qualities, this is a great movie, because it tells the story of a Maori legend. Here's a story about the star, Keisha Castle-Hughes.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Whale Rider

It was a terrific movie. I really enjoyed the whole story. I also liked the movie "The Land Has Eyes" for many of the same reasons. Both stories showed the struggles of respecting the traditional cultural values while trying to embrace the currently accepted cultural conditions. The different expectations in the gender roles along with the change in self-expectations. Having lived in Fiji for a time of 6 months along with numerious visits, I have seen it up close and personal. My wife is Fijian. In watching the well defined traditional roles from my perspective of being American, I can say the family units run smoother and last together much better than "our" style. The men take their role as provider very serious and more often than not show a quality of love towards their wives that I don't see enough of. While the women still take their responsibility of motherhood and showing true respect towards their husbands serious. No society is perfect, since it would be full of humans. This is just my observations. Go for it, say what you will.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

My wife and I watched the PBS viewing last night. Great movie! I think that might have been the 3rd time I watched it. The little girl reminds me so much of my own niece when she was that age... her mannerisms and her interest in her own culture.

Comment

that was a cool film. very well done. I really liked the pacing of it; it took its time and allowed you to feel the atmospshere there... liked all the iconography and carvings.
        very touching movie.
        Should be required for schools...

Comment

just a little interesting note:

"Fortunately for indie filmmakers, there's a counterforce: the marriage of the DVD and the Internet. Companies like Film Movement, CineClix, and Netflix are boosting sales of independent films by offering choices and targeting online ads to users likely to rent niche fare. More people saw Niki Caro's Whale Rider on DVD and VHS than in theaters, adding $13 million in rentals to the film's US box office of $21 million - serious money for a movie by a first-time director. Netflix alone generated 530,000 of these rentals by promoting Whale Rider to its 2.5 million members based on user recommendations...."

cool.
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

yes! love the possibilities and unfound, soon to be discovered potential of all this! Soon we will be able to view great flicks for about a buck, download them, see them via streaming... etc..
            fast cheap high quality...
            oh yea.

Comment

Whalerider

best movie i have seen in years. i rented it and the next day i went to purchase it. it is about Maori culture, coastal New Zealand. great acting, great story, moving soundtrack, soulful movie-i cant say enough of it. anyone else seen it?

Comment

Re: Whalerider

One of my favorite movies also. I love a great story. It's hard to keep traditional cultural values from being watered down by the modern lifestyle and expectations. "Once were warriors" was another look at it from a different perspective. And "The land has eyes" is another great movie. I'm not really a wimp, but did cry for different reasons at all 3 of these movies.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                X