Tracing an IP address back to its source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing an IP address back to its source

Just for fun, I decided to trace my own IP address (what I got from my router) and see where it was telling me I was. I was surprised that it only traced back to somewhere in California (using many versions of IP tracking software/sites).

If local people do their own trace, where will it show you? Can someone really track us back to Hawaii?

(I use Verizon's DSL, with no proxy server)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Tracing an IP address back to its source

Originally posted by adri1456
    If local people do their own trace, where will it show you? Can someone really track us back to Hawaii?
    Yes. Looking up a Verizon IP could easily take you as far upstream as Texas, but a full query will usually turn up a hostname like hnl-115.dsl-verizon.net, the leftmost nodes being the ones that usually offer hints as to the region.

Comment

I'm sure that an admin could find it, but do forums like this one publicly display the poster's IP address somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        I'm sure that an admin could find it, but do forums like this one publicly display the poster's IP address somewhere?
        Not that I know of, but some forums do log the poster's IP address (on the post, it'll say "IP address logged") and if you spammed the place then a mod can and will view your IP address and ban you.

Comment

On Mel's old radio site the IP address was displayed. I remember when this anonymous person was bad mouthing Clear Channel and I discovered the poster was using a Clear Channel computer in the Jock Room!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Try using NeoTrace Pro or VisualRoute. Nice....

http://www.visualroute.com/

http://www.neotrace.com/

NeoTrace is integrated in McAffee Personal Firewall Plus btw. If somebody is hammering you, u can trace the ip right back to the source host.
            Reggie aka pinakboy
            Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
            Raw Eats Veggie Videos
            Recipe Tube TV!
            Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Thanks for that info. I was taking a Cisco networking class at UH/Hilo and the instructor had mentioned that program (I believe it's freeware or shareware).

The version he had utilized mapping software coupled with a GIS (Graphical Information System) to generate an actual map of the routing right down to street address then publicly listed names and phone numbers at that address along with personal information available all on the net. Now that's spooky!
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I have used Visual Route and Neotrace before. Neither program will show
                your home address or information about you.It will show who registered
                that IP address e.g your Internet Provider. On the other hand if you
                have a static IP address and you registered that IP address thats a whole
                other ballgame.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Out of numerous "Hawaii IP addresses" I got, I only found 1 that is actually on Oahu (the rest were pointing to states like California and New Jersey.)

I'm not telling anything else, but its an upper Class C address

Comment

Working...
                  X