Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people are moving to Hawaii from mainland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people are moving to Hawaii from mainland?

I was curious to know if anybody has any info on how many people move each year from the mainland to Hawaii (specifically Oahu) and vice versa. I'm not interested in the net number, but rather the number of "moves" back and forth to mainland. Thanks for any help.

Re: How many people are moving to Hawaii from mainland?

The U.S. Census tracks stuff like this, but it takes some digging to get the numbers you want. Here's a 2003 article from the Star-Bulletin that might be a good place to start.
    The bureau counted 76,133 more people moving out of Hawaii than moving in. The state gained 125,160 people during the five-year period, the majority (32,321) moving to the islands from California. But 201,293 moved out of the islands. The Golden State also proved to be a popular destination for people leaving Hawaii. Of those who left, 44,192 were residing in California by 2000, the most of any destination state.

Comment

It's hard to get really fine-grained information, like the year-by-year data that JPN is asking about, because there's no one government agency in this country that tracks all that stuff. That would be a nightmare, not only from the privacy advocates' viewpont but also from the viewpoint of the hapless IT guys who'd have to coordinate it all.

Comment

Thanks both of you for responding so quickly -- what a great thread. I know how tough it is to find this kind of info, so even the ballpark numbers are a great help.

Comment

You might also want to check out the State of Hawaii Data Book, the official book of Hawai'i statistics prepared by the Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism.

Comment

"...the majority (32,321) moving to the islands from California."

Interesting that in another thread "mel" suggested that high property tax rates in California are a California problem.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Oh, lemme guess. Then he ranted and raved about evil liberals for a paragraph and a half.

Comment

Isn't this why they ask travelers to fill out that survey on the airplane? That might give at least a ballpark estimate of how many people are coming every month.

Comment

It's surprising that there are fewer Hawai'i expats moving to Las Vegas than Cali. All the locals up here refer to LV as the "9th Hawaiian Island". Another little factoid: the State of Washington has more residents of Native Hawaiian ancestry than the island of Kauai.

If it's not about taxes, why are more people leaving Hawai'i than moving to Hawai'i? Rock fever? Fewer job opportunities?? With the outmigration, will there eventually be more Hawai'i born people residing up on the Mainland than in Hawai'i? Scary thought.

Oh I think I know why more Californians are moving to Hawai'i than from anywhere else: their high taxes are driving them to make their profits there and take all that cash with them to Hawai'i so they can buy up all the multimillion dollar houses. At one point, they were moving to Washington State, now that WA has been "Californicated", they moved on to Colorado. Now that CO has been "Californicated", they took their money to Texas. It's too hot in Texas, so they're bringing their money to Hawai'i now. If in fact the Californians are moving to Hawai'i in droves, in no time you WILL start looking like LA.

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; July 27, 2005, 03:05 PM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here on the Big Island there are a lot of couples, and families moving here because of the value in property in Puna. I can't say how it is for the rest of Hawaii but I can attest that I see an influx here and it ain't slowing yet.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If in fact the Californians are moving to Hawai'i in droves, in no time you WILL start looking like LA.
                      no blame me eh the H1 (which I try to avoid) was already stuck stuck and I'm still amazed the H3 even exists though it does benefit everyone. my moving back from California allowed the previous local born owner and family to move on to their next (bigger and better?) home another town over. I could have moved anywhere in the world but came back to the same little town I went to school oh so many years ago 'cuz this is where I want to be.

I not from LA. I don't have a fleet luxury cars just my good ole truck. I don't throw trash out the window nor try to run down pedestrians in drive by shootings. I didn't build the shopping malls, 7-11's or subdivisions here but maybe some day? heheh. there is no plastic ku tiki in my possession, ever. I don't like plastic body parts or fake blond hair and blue contacts. my pants do not hang off my ass wannabe thug style. a billboard is the last thing I want to see in Hawaii. I still finding my way in this "new Oahu" in it's ever changing state of flux but am a part of it and will try to preserve the "old Hawaii" what way can. even if just potted plants cuz they can someday be planted for real and begin a new circle of life.

I rambling and lost my train of thought and gotta' get back to work. but had to comment on the california thing. what does california look like to you and how will / has Hawaii become it? is it that bad or good? hmm, maybe just took offense to the LA part. many northern californians still want to split the state into 2 parts cuz they don't like LA either LOL. wait for the earthquake I guess. maybe people in other states say if those hawaiians keep coming here it will look like hawaii soon. make you wonder what they would be visualizing though many hiking guide books spare no punches on the state of the trails and grounds here (thankfully recycling is finally picking up steam). but I would be thinking of positive connotations though not to gloss over the negatives in this most beautiful of all places.
                      this space for rent

Comment

Born and raised in Orange County California and researching a move to Puna.
                        Why?
                        1.I have never felt at home here,the rushed materialistic lifestyle seems such a waste of life and besides a short time in my youth has not been my style of living.Wealth should be measured in how much one gives in a lifetime not how much one gets.
                        2.It's my wifes dream to go back to the place she lived for one year in her youth and has never forgotten.
                        3.I have recieved a large inheritence from my parents who worked very hard all there lives and died far to young.
                        4.There gift will allow my daughter to grow up in a place where she has a better chance of living a happy spiritual life wether it's Puna or somewhere else I will find my family a new home.
                        5.We will look for a modest home and a small business that can benifet the community as well as provide a small income for my family.
                        I am sorry for everyone who has seen there homeland decline in so many ways,If my family ends up in HI I will continue my spiritual path of service and promise not to be part of the problem

Comment

Working...
                        X