Weight Gain At Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Gain At Work

A recent study said that more than half Americans gain weight at work. I know that working at a school cafeteria does it for me. I know this because every summer break I lose about 15-20 lbs and then put them on in about 4 months.

Does anyone else out there put on weight at work?
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Weight Gain At Work

Originally posted by alohabear
    A recent study said that more than half Americans gain weight at work. I know that working at a school cafeteria does it for me. I know this because every summer break I lose about 15-20 lbs and then put them on in about 4 months.

its usually da opposite fo me...

when i stay immersed at work i eat only wen i hungry plus i got my lunch portioned out already. if i stay home dang i start grazing, den pau i grind everything and start cooking whateva stuff i find in da fridge and cupboard. Danger fo me stay home! hehehe
    especially watchin cooking shows during da day like on Food Network...
    i come couch potato and pau.
    Reggie aka pinakboy
    Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
    Raw Eats Veggie Videos
    Recipe Tube TV!
    Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

It's definitely a challenge to avoid temptation at work. Coworkers are always bringing in goodies left over from their parties or some other event because they are trying to avoid temptation at home! Of course there's also food for various special occasions at work, whether it's a congrats party or a going-away party. All it tends to be calorie-rich food. It's difficult to resist when everyone around you is munching, and in a job where lunch hour is not a guaranteed thing, grabbing free food that's there for the taking is too easy! Add to that the fact that the work environment is not always a very physically active environment, and it's very easy to see how the pounds come on.

I've been trying to eat smaller portions when these situations arise at work. If I know I've been "bad" at work too, then I'll try to eat a more sensible dinner and get a walk in if possible that evening. I figure every small thing helps, whether it's deliberately parking far away when you know there's going to be an office party later on that day or bringing something "healthier" to contribute to the party so you aren't the only one not eating. Wish there was a magic solution to this problem, but there's not. Ya just gotta stay strong and come up with ways to trick your stomach!

Comment

Stress is a good countermeasure, I imagine. I sat at a desk at my last job as much as this one, but at my last job, I was always on the verge of a nervous breakdown... and I never gained weight. My current job is far more better for my mental health, but I do have to be careful, because I think it contributed to my getting a little rounder around the middle.

Snacking throughout the day was my biggest Achilles' heel... I used to always keep a "stockpile" of stuff in my desk, from candy to chips to the unavoidable goodies coworkers gave me. I could go through a huge bag of something in one day if I wasn't careful. So now it's just Vitamin C drops that I pop as a nervous habit.

I suppose it would also have a job that keeps you out and about all day. I wonder which careers are the best from a cardiovascular perspective?

Comment

Coffee farmer, maybe. I think Dave's is still available, PZ!

Comment

In construction, work was exercise for me. I used to be able to eat a plate lunch for breakfast and another one for lunch without gaining weight. After moving up the ranks (non-manual work), no can grind like that anymore. I try to stay active recreationally and always volunteer to do the grunt kind work if there's a volunteer project going on somewhere for my exercise... beats going to the $pa, for me.

I know I'm getting older because it takes more effort to stay in shape. Chicken and fish diet for a while gets me back to playing weight most times.

Comment

When I used to work...on Oahu that is I used to marvel at the girls in the offices. One day our janitor was sick and I was asked to do the honors. Well it seems emptying rubbish cans at office workers desks reveal some interesting things about them like who the heavy eaters are.

But one thing I noticed was that the office workers whose cubicles were the closest to the break room or that table with all the snacks on it were the heaviest.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

LOL! If we we're doing work in an office type environment, most times it's scheduled afterhours like after all the office workers go home. Late at night we might get the munchies and what we did was simply look at the pictures on the desk... the family pic, the boyfriend/girlfriend pic. From there we could pretty much deduce which one's had the hidden stash haha... never failed. Yeah it was wrong but boys will be boys I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear

At a school it could be super easy. Of course, cafeteria food is not always the best, but at my school it is pretty good--plus they pile it on. Not bad for $3. The downside is I don't think it's very healthy. But sometimes what can you do, when you're pressed for time and you forgot to make a salad at home!
                  Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

AUUGGHHH! Talk about mixed blessings...

I was hoping to eat healthy prior to Thanksgiving, since I know I will be overeating that day, but instead...

Thurs: Fundraiser for Punahou Habitat for Humanity Club at Sam Choy's

Sun: Maui Tacos for lunch, goat cheese pumpkin ice cream (less fat than regular, but still!), pizza/alcohol at Magoo's late at night because my boyfriend has been overtraining and is having calorie cravings

Mon: OR Nurses week; chinese food and chocolate kahlua rum cake in celebration at lunch, then company dinner at Assagio's

Tues: giant Vanilla/choc. butter cake in honor of OR nurses week, reps take us out to dinner at Morton's

Wed: reps treat OR to lunch, dinner at Diamond Head Grill by reps

I love all the free food and I'm certainly not complaining about that, but my waistline is paying a dear price! Hope I can be good after Wed (other than a going away party on Sat night, so I'm sure there'll be more bad-for-me foods there too). Geesh. I can't believe all the reps are in town the SAME week!

Comment

Since eating is my job (tough work sometimes but mostly rewarding) weight gain is always a concern. I gained five pounds doing research on the burger story. In total I've gained close to 15 pounds since I started writing restaurant reviews and food articles. It would help if I enjoyed exercise. Though if I had a lovely lap pool (not likely to happen anytime soon!), I'm sure it would be easy to get those 30 minutes in every day.

Comment

Working...
                      X