Lost in Space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in Space?

So NASA delayed by 2 weeks the launch of Discovery because of a faulty gauge. Then Mission Control says they never did figure out what caused the malfunction but if it malfunctioned again, they wouldn't delay the launch again. So Discovery made it into space without any major problems the other day, except for a "little" problem with the loss of some insulating foam and a couple of heat shield chips from the shuttle...the same problems that doomed Atlantis.

NASA announced a backup plan prior to the launch where if the same type of incident that doomed Atlantis happened on Discovery, the crew would go to the Space Station and abandon the shuttle. They would stay there for up to a month while another shuttle was readied to come retrieve them from the space station.

Today, after reviewing the footage of the incidents with the foam and heat shield tiles, they announced they were grounding all future shuttle missions until they could resolve the problem.

So tell me this, if it ultimately turns out that the foam and heat shield damaged Discovery and the astronauts end up on the space station, how are they supposed to get back to terra firma? Are the Russians going to have to come bail us out?

I think we should stop the program, save the money and spend it on helping people who need help in this country now. All the US wants to do is claim superiority in space so the White House can realize its strategic goal of putting killer missiles and spy satellites in space.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Lost in Space?

So tell me this, if it ultimately turns out that the foam and heat shield damaged Discovery and the astronauts end up on the space station, how are they supposed to get back to terra firma? Are the Russians going to have to come bail us out?
    I guess like this:

the crew would go to the Space Station and abandon the shuttle. They would stay there for up to a month while another shuttle was readied to come retrieve them from the space station.
    It would be messed up if stuff fell off the rescue shuttle though.

Comment

NASA has grounded all future shuttle missions until they can figure out why the problem keeps happening. With the alacrity of the government, I doubt they will be able to get another shuttle flight-worthy in a month's time to retrieve the stranded astronauts. That would leave the Ruski's to come to our assistance. Heaven forfend.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

One of three things should be done. Get newer shuttles if subscribing to the notion that reusable spacecraft is the way to go, maybe with shorter lifespans like 20 flights and then retire the craft.

Go back to the days of Gemimi or Apollo spacecraft.

Or make a smaller shuttle.

Comment

Working...
        X