This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping before renting

This is my plan to get home to hawaii. Fly our conversion van over; cost around 1200.00. Buy 6 tickets around 169.00;one way to oahu. Camp at the state parks that have showers and restrooms. We have a huge family cabin tent. Get jobs in town at hotels or resturants. A good month should give us an idea on where we want to find an apartment.
    Anyone with some idea on how this will go over please respond. We would like to leave in june of 2006. We will have 2 of our 4 boys in elemantary school.
    On the other hand we also been told to go to some farm in puna where alot of mothers and families home school their children and work for food exchange while living on the land of this community. anyone know what it is called? Ive looked into vegan o garden and eco-villages.
    Iam also on the East Coast in Virginia Beach.I was reading some threads and saw there are a few east coaster dreamin of Hawaii as well. Its nice to know that Iam not alone and there are others out there with these dreams of living in paradise. I long to raising my children on the islands. Iam so excited that I came across this disscussion group I hope to meet and make some great friends here. Everyone seams so positive and encouraging each other. I can only hope I get the same in return.
    free hawaii!hawaii sovereignty now!

Re: Camping before renting

I suppose having a roof over one's head (as in a large tent or a conversion van) is better than just being exposed to the elements, but I worry about what it's going to do to your kids. If it was just you moving to Hawai'i, that would be one thing; but young kids being put into a transient situation for even a month might be a whole lot tougher.

I don't know what the regs are on Oahu, but on Maui, transients can only stay in the parks that allow camping for 2 or 3 days at a time. The police also love to harass campers (because they lump everybody into the same category). Many beaches in Hawai'i don't allow overnight camping. If you really have to move your family, why don't you move over there first, and then when you're settled (and have figured out what schools you're going to put the kids in), send for the family? You might think of the whole thing as a great adventure, but kids like being rooted in one place with their friends.

There probably are a lot of hospitality-related jobs on Oahu and there's lots of turnover at most places, so finding a server's job shouldn't be too tough.

Miulang

P.S. Paradise doesn't come without a hefty price tag. Everything from rent to food is going to cost more. Hawai'i also has a serious methamphetamine problem, and the public school system is pretty bad (not necessarily the teachers, but the department that runs it).
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I suspect that you need a permit to camp. The hangup might be the length of time you want to camp, usually the permit is good for 2 or 3 days. A month might be a problem.

Comment

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/accom/occcp.htm

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/accom/occsp.htm

I have camped in Hawaii many times but never on Oahu.

I think you need a better plan to get your family there and secure, but I'm not a hippy either.

How many times have you visited Hawaii?
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

http://www.hawaii.com/phpBB2/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

Comment

I think you have to take all those positive comments from the Hawaii.com site and consider them of equal weight as those comments (both positive and negative) you get on Hawaiithreads. One thing you didn't mention here is that you have some "local" blood (Hawaiian/Asian) in you.

The color of your skin might help ease the transition in Hawai'i. Were you born there, or in Cali? Do you have any relatives still living in Hawai'i? If you do, please consider getting in touch with them and asking if you can crash with them while you get settled, if you have to bring your kids with you right away.

A poster on Hawaii.com noted that it'll be tough to find a job anywhere in Hawai'i unless you have a local address and phone number; having relatives help you out in this way will really make it easier for you.

It won't be a picnic moving to Hawai'i with no job or housing lined up. What will help is if you can solicit the assistance of your ohana.

Hawai'i is not all rainbows and sandy beaches. If you end up living in the wrong areas of town, your kids will see more bad things (drugs, prostitution, other criminal activity) than they see on the East Coast. Once you're in Hawai'i, it'll be extremely difficult to hop in a car and drive away to someplace else, so make your decision based on a lot of thoughtful studying in advance. Your kids' futures are at stake.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Forget what I said. Dude who posted this thread is a jackass.
              Last edited by Palolo Joe; July 28, 2005, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Re: checked out hawaiithreads...scary

Arakis: this may be the vegan farm in Puna you heard about...

Miulang

Comment

Arrakis: this may be the vegan farm in Puna you heard about...Or check out the WWOOF website. Looks like you can get room and board on some Big Island farms for helping work the land.

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; July 28, 2005, 05:36 PM.

Comment

hahahhahaaaaa!!!

im not that woman ! im a guy that just saw that thread on hawaii.com and the reference to hawaiithreads!hahahhahaaa!!!this is so fun crossposting to two different forums!!hahahahahahaa!!i enjoy myself!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by arrakis
                      hahahhahaaaaa!!!

im not that woman ! im a guy that just saw that thread on hawaii.com and the reference to hawaiithreads!hahahhahaaa!!!this is so fun crossposting to two different forums!!hahahahahahaa!!i enjoy myself!!!!
                      Well, did you not ask about the vegan farms at the start of this thread or not???

Comment

dupe..gomen

Comment

Not cool. We may be using screen names, but you should still be honest about who you are. Don't go masquerading as somebody else and pretending that their words are yours.

Comment

Keeds.

Comment

Arrakis, do not abuse the goodwill of this forum and steal another person's words simply to duplicate a conversation elsewhere. Even if it was well meant (and it clearly wasn't), it's poor online behavior.

Those who wish to provide input to the person who actually wrote the above can go here.

Comment

Working...
                              X