• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii.com on HawaiiThreads.com

http://www.hawaii.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2035
    free hawaii!hawaii sovereignty now!

Re: checked out hawaiithreads...scary

Checked out Hawaii.com... scary.

If you look at their index of posts, the top two most popular forums there by far are "Visitor Information" and "Moving to Hawai'i". That tells me all I need to know about the place. It's really aimed more at outsiders who are interested in Hawai'i, as compared with here at HawaiiThreads, which is a forum of locals, run by locals, for locals.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Checked out Hawaii.com... scary.

If you look at their index of posts, the top two most popular forums there by far are "Visitor Information" and "Moving to Hawai'i". That tells me all I need to know about the place. It's really aimed more at outsiders who are interested in Hawai'i, as compared with here at HawaiiThreads, which is a forum of locals, run by locals, for locals.
      Eh, no foget da expats, too yeah? We came from da 'aina and still love da 'aina, too!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Eh, no foget da expats, too yeah? We came from da 'aina and still love da 'aina, too!
        Oh yeah, you too Miulang. How long you been gone, now?...

Comment

Oh yeah, you too Miulang. How long you been gone, now?...
          Miulang's been gone so long dat I tink she can be considered "borderline katonk".

Comment

It's really aimed more at outsiders who are interested in Hawai'i, as compared with here at HawaiiThreads, which is a forum of locals, run by locals, for locals.
            Well, this is not to say that visitors and would-be transplants are unwelcome. After all, why would we have an "Islands Ahoy" forum, otherwise? (And don't say "Target practice!") I'd like to think our common denominator is our love for Hawaii, not where we happen to be at the time.

Still, Glen makes a good point insofar that the most common response to a "I want to move to Hawaii!" post at Hawaii.com is, "Go for it! You only live once! Take a chance!" And hey, there's a place for that. But good lordy, if that's the only input you get, you'd be in for some harsh surprises.

At HawaiiThreads.com, I'd concede that some of us can be a bit gruff, but we'd also not let some things fly without comment that others would just ignore (i.e. anyone who uses "the states" to refer to the U.S. mainland), and we'll certainly call attention to the pitfalls and potential downsides of a plan. I'd like to think that we don't drown dreams somuch as we give them a more realistic and solid foundation.

So while you might take issue with the tone, in a way there's also a place for the occasional reality check. If you come and say, "Hey I wanna be Hawaiian and I'm unemployed and never finished school I want to come to Hawaii and live on a beach are there any apartments for $400 a month and how do I get housing assistance!" - well, don't be surprised if you get, "Are you out of your @#$^ mind?"

Deep down, in addition to worrying about an unprepared person's impact on our community, I think many of us are also worried about what might happen to that person, and their family. We don't want them to end up sleeping in Ala Moana park, for their sake, and ours.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, as they say.

Comment

I often forget it, but other people's dreams are our everyday reality. We live in Hawai'i. We wake up, get dressed, eat breakfast, and walk outside into a tropical landscape that millions of people a year spend thousands of dollars each to visit. No wonder they gush so much!

Where I live there are rainbows
              And flowers full of color
              And birds filled with song

Comment

Aloha Kakou,

I'm one of the few Native Hawaiians that posts on Hawaii.com and the best thing about that thread is that it led me here.
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                  Miulang's been gone so long dat I tink she can be considered "borderline katonk".
                  No way I can be considered one borderline katonk! I get too much pigment in my skin foa be one katonk. No need go outside and lie in da sun...I get permanent tan. Some of my white-fleshed friends said I should try to figure out a way to extract some of the melanin in my skin and sell it to the fair skinned peeps. They said I could make plenty kala!

"You can take da tita out of da 'aina, but you can't take da 'aina out of dis tita!"

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; July 28, 2005, 05:10 PM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

No way I can be considered one borderline katonk! I get too much pigment in my skin foa be one katonk.
                    I dunno, I seen some pretty dark skinned katonks. Especially the Okinawan ones.

Comment

I dunno, I seen some pretty dark skinned katonks. Especially the Okinawan ones.
                      Except I'm not Okinawan! I don't have those gorgeous long eyelashes most Okinawans have (heehee). I DO like andagi, though. Does that make me a wannabe Okinawan?

Miulang

Comment

I DO like andagi, though. Does that make me a wannabe Okinawan?
                        Maybe a wannabe, Junior-Grade. Real wannabe Okinawans gotta like all that other super-gross-looking food!
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener

Real wannabe Okinawans gotta like all that other super-gross-looking food!
                          I'm curious. Can you give some examples?

Comment

Re: Hawaii.com on HawaiiThreads.com

Thanks to THAT forum, I was led to THIS forum.

THIS forum is more what I was looking for.. so I'm thankful that THAT forum existed to lead me to THIS one!

Comment

Re: Hawaii.com on HawaiiThreads.com

Originally posted by Tiger Beer
                              Thanks to THAT forum, I was led to THIS forum.

THIS forum is more what I was looking for.. so I'm thankful that THAT forum existed to lead me to THIS one!
                              Well then, pull up a chair, set yourself down, take your shoes off and hand me a can of that Tiger Beer!

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X