Competitive Eating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competitive Eating

Has anyone watched on ESPN the Alka-Seltzer U.S. Open? This is an amazing sport to see. It is taking place from Las Vegas, these people eat pounds of food in the quickest amount of time. This no mere "pig-out" with huge gultons...The top three ranked eaters in I.F.O.C.E.( International Federation of Competitve Eating) are "small". Nathan's Hotdog winner, Takeru Kobayashi 132 pounds, Sonya Thomas a petite 105 pounds and Richard "the Locast" LeFevre is 132 pounds. If you like the big boys they have plenty of them too ,like Eric "Badlands " Booker who tops of at 450 pounds. With total cash prizes of $40,000 this is a serious sport and fun to watch. I wonder if our "Big Boys" in Hawaii could be a match in this sport in such challenges as laulau eating or spam musubi? That would be interesting! If you want to catch the action it's on for two more days (7/29-7/30) on ESPN @ 2:00pm Hawaii time.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Competitive Eating

I watched a little of it.
    Check out the record holders on the web site. I can't imagine eating that much of anything.

Comment

Heh. That reminds me of Kanak Attack, the plate lunch place that used to be on Kapahulu Avenue (they moved out to the Nimitz Center). The subtitle on their sign was "Eat Till You Sleep"!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Heh. That reminds me of Kanak Attack, the plate lunch place that used to be on Kapahulu Avenue (they moved out to the Nimitz Center). The subtitle on their sign was "Eat Till You Sleep"!
        I got another great slogan for an eatery serving local kine grinds: "Grind 'Til You Groan!"

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

I got another great slogan for an eatery serving local kine grinds: "Grind 'Til You Groan!"
          Eh...you bettah stop teasing me about Todai's in Seattle eh?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
            Eh...you bettah stop teasing me about Todai's in Seattle eh?
            Eh Bruddah. I wasn't aiming that slogan specifically at you, but now that you mention it, you DID have that little incident at Todai, didn't you? I hear there's a Todai in LV now. Want to recreate the scene there in Sept.???

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

How timely! Our very own Mitchell (a.k.a. Scrivener) just wrote about Sonya Thomas, the Korean-American hot dog eating champ. I hadn't even heard of her. What is it, though, with slight Asians and big stomachs?

Of course it evolved into a discussion of nicknames and the other "Black Widow," Jeanette Lee, a pool champ:
              And Jeanette, if you’re vanity-surfing someday and stumble upon this humble online journal, give me a call sometime if things don’t work out with you and your husband. I’ll let you play with my cue stick.

Comment

What I wanted to say was, "I'll let you play with my cue stick if you let me play with your rack," but I thought that might be taken in a bad way!
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                  What I wanted to say was, "I'll let you play with my cue stick if you let me play with your rack," but I thought that might be taken in a bad way!
                  There's a *bad* way?? Or just bad in a good way?

hee!

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                    Has anyone watched on ESPN the Alka-Seltzer U.S. Open? This is an amazing sport to see. It is taking place from Las Vegas, these people eat pounds of food in the quickest amount of time. This no mere "pig-out" with huge gultons...The top three ranked eaters in I.F.O.C.E.( International Federation of Competitve Eating) are "small". Nathan's Hotdog winner, Takeru Kobayashi 132 pounds, Sonya Thomas a petite 105 pounds and Richard "the Locast" LeFevre is 132 pounds. If you like the big boys they have plenty of them too ,like Eric "Badlands " Booker who tops of at 450 pounds. With total cash prizes of $40,000 this is a serious sport and fun to watch. I wonder if our "Big Boys" in Hawaii could be a match in this sport in such challenges as laulau eating or spam musubi? That would be interesting! If you want to catch the action it's on for two more days (7/29-7/30) on ESPN @ 2:00pm Hawaii time.

i retired from competition. i jus grind in moderation now.
                    Reggie aka pinakboy
                    Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                    Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                    Recipe Tube TV!
                    Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

My mom and I watched it. We were hooked. It made me think of an episode of King of the Hill where the character Bill becomes a competitive eater. When I saw that ep, I thought it was pretty interesting, but to see the real thing is even cooler. That old man and his wife...wow, never would've thought they could've done it. All of those people really... I love food and all....but holy jebus. I really wanted some spaghetti after we watched, too.
                      myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Working...
                      X