Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of the downsides to island driving...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the downsides to island driving...

All it took was the mere mention of a possible shortage of gasoline and there was a stampede of drivers lining up to get their $100 worth of gas per customer yesterday! (The gas barge was supposed to make another delivery on Saturday).

The coconut wireless was working overtime (as were the gas station employees). Moloka'i has a unique situation because sometimes the gas barge can't land at K'kai and has to turn around without unloading its fuel.

"Rumors that Molokai service stations were running out of gas turned the Friendly Isle into the Frantic Isle Thursday with mile-long lines at the pumps and attendants too busy to even talk on the phone.

Ironically, the panic probably will leave Molokai without gas later today with nothing available until sometime Saturday, when the barge with the next shipment arrives. An Island Petroleum official said there would have been enough fuel to meet Molokai’s needs under ordinary circumstances. But because the rumor mill went into overdrive, there was gridlock at the island’s three stations.

“People are getting crazy,” said Frank Keoho, manager of Island Petroleum, which distributes gas on Molokai. “They’re standing in line and topping off their tanks. It’s the same way as when they say there’s a hurricane coming and everything flies off the shelves.”

Shirley Rawlins, owner of Rawlins Chevron Service at the entrance to Kaunakakai, finally was able to catch her breath around 5 p.m. after a whirlwind afternoon.

“I never thought I’d see a day like today,” said Rawlins. “The last time something happened like this was back in the ’70s.”...

If you're ever on Moloka'i, stop in at the Rawlins Service Station. Auntie Shirley has some of the biggest and best tasting Spam musubi in the State!

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; July 29, 2005, 01:42 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: One of the downsides to island driving...

Miulang, it sounds like you're quoting a newspaper article. Are you? And if so, what's the citation?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Miulang, it sounds like you're quoting a newspaper article. Are you? And if so, what's the citation?
      Gomen. Go check the story again. I added the link.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Tita,
        I Neva No This Wen Go On....molokai Ohana Must Be Choking!!!!!!!

What Rawlins Said About The 70`s, Is Right On The Money.

This Was One Bad Gas Shortage Happenen In Hawaii And The People

Wen Panic....

You Only Could Get So Much Amount Of Gas...dat`s It!!!!!!

I Rememeber My Dad, And I Waiting At The Pumps Hours B-4 Da

Station Open, Try Like 4 A.m. And Already Get Choke People

Waiting..... Oggboy
        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
        X