Hawai'i 4th in 2004 national beach closings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai'i 4th in 2004 national beach closings

It's ironic to think that Hawai'i, with all the ads for tourists to come lay in the sand and swim in its warm waters, should end up #4 on a national list of beach closures for 2004.

"
    The report says 82 percent of Hawaii's total stems from the state's first-ever "pre-emptive rain advisory," issued from March 2-9, 2004, for all Oahu beaches in an attempt to keep people out of the water during and after heavy showers.

The remaining 214 beach closures or health advisories were due to monitoring that showed elevated bacteria levels from "sewage sources," including storm water or sewage spills, according to the report.

The bulk of the closures or advisories were issued for Oahu beaches. Two were posted on the Big Island.

Kailua Beach had eight closures or advisories for bacteria in 2004, the most of any one swimming area in the state. Meanwhile, Oneawa Beach had seven, and five were recorded for Kalama Beach...."
    Although nothing can prevent the heavy rain and surf warnings, almost 20% of the closures were due to sewage spills or contaminated storm water. Making sure the islands' infrastructure (the sewer system) is able to keep up with the growing population is critical. The last thing Hawai'i needs is to have many of its beaches closed due to contamination. The ocean is a large part of the lives of many locals and tourists alike.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Hawai'i 4th in 2004 national beach closings

So much for paradise....Hey we still have beautiful beaches...Try and find better beaches anywhere in the USA. The "Enviroment WAckos" make it seem the world is in such bad shape...but we all help keep beaches and our oceans clean.
    Last edited by alohabear; August 1, 2005, 05:51 AM. Reason: had more to say
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Re: Hawai'i 4th in 2004 national beach closings

What might also be nice is to convince all the smokers out there that Hawaii beaches are not their personal ash trays. That's my pet peave: butts in the sand. And I don't mean your garden variety okole. I mean the ones that take years to biodegrate and choke sea life and stick to the gum that's stuck on the bottom of your slippahs. I hate that.

Comment

Working...
      X