iz music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iz music

i heard the song hawai'i78 by brada iz , can anybody tell me why the 78 is there , thanks
    Ebb And Flow

Re: iz music

Originally posted by newroots
    i heard the song hawai'i78 by brada iz , can anybody tell me why the 78 is there , thanks
    If I had to take a wild guess, and because of the lyrics of that song, I would say the song was titled "Hawai'i '78" because around 1978 is when the Hawaiian cultural renaissance and the drive for sovereignty for the kanaka maoli began. It actually probably started in the late 60's, but I think the current drive for sovereignty began around that time and has today resulted in the Akaka Bill, for better or worse. Bruddah Iz' voice rings more true today than ever before with the large influx of new residents and the disappearance of many things that made Hawai'i, Hawai'i:

Verse 2:
    " Just imagine if they came back (the ali'i) and saw traffic lights and railroad tracks. How would they feel about this modern city life? Tears would come from each other's eyes as they would stop to realize that our land is in great, great danger now.

All the fighting that the king had done to conquer all these islands, now there's condominiums. How would he feel about Hawai'i nei?..."

From "Hawai'i '78" Music and words by Mickey Ioane.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Either that, or it's for the year 1778, when the Hawaiians first met Captain Cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Either that, or it's for the year 1778, when the Hawaiians first met Captain Cook.
        Wow...possible double meaning...what was that Hawaiian word for "double meaning"? I forget (is it kaona?). I have to laugh when I hear some of the more "playful" Hawaiian mele...seaweed, huh?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X