Ride Bicyle in Hawaii? Watch out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Bicyle in Hawaii? Watch out!

Check it out. When will there be respect for bicyclists in Hawaii?

http://www.mikezagorski.com/archives/000372.php
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: Ride Bicyle in Hawaii? Watch out!

Maybe when they realize that bikes are not supposed to go 45+ mpg down Pali Highway. Jesus, that's too fast!

And he says that this is his first bike/car accident in 26 years of biking. That's a pretty damn good record. I don't think there are many car drivers who have gone 26 years without getting into an accident.

Comment

of course, drivers should respect cyclists and i'm sure the guy follows basic common sense rules but you have to admit that there are quite a few cyclists who are just stupid in the way they cycle.

but back to your point: yup, there are a lot of stupid drivers out there. in my twenties, i used to cycle everywhere and cars would cut me off all the time; most common was when they wanted to make a right turn and would pass on my left and then just cut right in front of me to make that turn.

(what's kind of funny but also frustrating is seeing some people with moutain bikes riding on the sidewalks. reminds me of people with suvs who never go off road....)
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
        (what's kind of funny but also frustrating is seeing some people with moutain bikes riding on the sidewalks. reminds me of people with suvs who never go off road....)
        There is some difference. Because Honolulu's really not a bike-friendly town, it is necessary (or at least wise) in some places for cyclists to use the sidewalk. The condition of the roads here makes it much more sensible to ride a mountain bike in urban Honolulu -- I'm frequently having to jump potholes, jump off curbs, and jump back up curbs, and that's a lot easier to do on a mountain bike. Just regular riding around town on a mountain bike is not the same thing as an SUV's just cruising the streets.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's definitely worth it to have a mountain bike, or a hybrid, or whatever they're called, on the streets of Honolulu. Like Scrivener said, because of the poor condition of the roads and sidewalks of this town, it's a rare ride where you don't have to jump a curb, run over potholes, or side-skid into a grassy shoulder. I would never ride Honolulu with a skinny-tired racing bike.

Comment

I used to live in Kaimuki on 18th Avenue and worked in Kakaako.
            I used to own a Bianchi touring bicycle with ultra skinny 90-psi tires
            I used to get flats riding on the shoulders going up Monsarrat Avenue
            I bought a Trek Mountain bike because I hated fixing flats on Monsarrat
            I got tired because the fat low pressure 65-psi tires had greater drag
            I bought city tires for my Trek and shortened my ride time about 15 minutes
            I enjoyed biking home until
            I got sideswiped by a police car turning right...right into me
            I got pissed off
            I sold my Trek and drove to work
            I hated biking in Honolulu
            I moved to the Big Island
            I don't have a bike anymore
            I am getting fat and enjoying early retirement in my BMW
            I will probably die from heart failure
            I don't care right now because...
            I don't have any stress as a result of moving to the Big Island
            I thank that cop for justifying leaving Oahu
            I think I'll buy a stationary bike because I'm feeling a bit guilty now
            I can ride my stationary bike while watching the TV while
            I sip on my coffee from beans ground from Miulang's old grinder
            Last edited by craigwatanabe; August 1, 2005, 12:15 AM.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

I think I'll buy a stationary bike because I'm feeling a bit guilty now
              I bet you don't.

Comment

well it's the stationary bike or a treadmill.

My wife wants to get either one. I like a stationary bike because I have weak knees from biking on the mainland. I used to bike 20-miles a day while stationed in Mountain Home Idaho. 10-miles in and 10-miles back 7-days a week sunshine or snow I did it. In the four years I lived there I logged over 29,000 miles. I went thru enough bike parts to build several bikes excluding the frame itself. I ended up grinding all of my cartillege from under both kneecaps because for four years I peddled a certain way that gave me a maximum power stroke.

Because of that I cannot ride far distances anymore nor can I run distances of over a mile without hurting a lot. Instead I walk about five miles a day two days during the weekdays, and 8-10 miles a day 2-days a week on the weekends. The other three days I'm a total couch potato recuperating and taking back all those lost calories.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

hi scrivener and eric, i wrote in haste and so i'll try to clarify, though you're still welcome to disagree sure, riding a mountain bike makes a hell of a lot of sense on oahu but my personal feeling is that if you've got a mountain bike, it should be able to take most bumps, holes (not craters!) etc. that you'll inevitably find on the road. oh, i totally agree. don't forget that i used to ride all the time on these roads and i've had my share of close calls. still, i think a mountain bike is tough enough for most situations. as a pedestrian, i hate it when i see a cyclist with a mountain bike come barreling down a sidewalk expecting me to step aside! the roads may be lousy but the sidewalks are primarily for pedestrians. if a cyclist has to use the sidewalk, mountain bike or not, he/she should give way to the pedestrian.

on a sidenote, i once had a most spectacular fall. it was near the king/kalakaua intersection. i had made the turn, was going fast and then all of a sudden i noticed that the road wasn't even and that my bike would fall/slip as soon as it crossed the uneven part (sorry if i'm not being clear; i'm still sleepy and just wanna post this asap) and so in an instant and without any forethought, i slammed on the brakes. my bike stopped all right, but i went shooting right over the handle bars! but the cool part is that i landed on my back (i was wearing a backpack that saved my back), rolled and ended up standing with my bike behind me! and all of this happened in front of the bus stop! you should have seen the look of the people waiting for the bus! i tried to act as though everything was fine but my knees hurt a bit cuz i had hit them on the handle bars going over! those were the days....

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0335/1010/NEWS
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I completely agree about yielding to pedestrians on the sidewalks.

My best "eat-it" was about nine years ago. I was teaching only part-time in my first year, so I was also working at a cafe on Waialae until 2:30 in the morning several nights a week. To keep things interesting, I'd choose different routes home to Kalihi. One early-early morning, I was on Kuakini near Lanakila Elementary School, where there's a large grassy slope on a street corner. I was going to take the turn up ahead anyway, so I cut through the grassy lot, shot down the hill, didn't see the tree-root until it was too late to do anything about it, and flew over the handlebars. It was a kind of Superman-like flight, my hands out in front of me, my body parallel to the ground.

I thought for sure I taco'd my front wheel, but all I did was twist the handlebar at its joint, so the repair was quick and easy.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

ha! ha! good story! okay, here's another one. not as funny as yours but years ago, i was on my bike and peddled down to the old nbc. i was gonna buy some concert tickets. i got there and then i got off the road, and onto the sidewalk and then right up to the ticket area. i was going super slowly and i made the slightest of turns and i guess the concrete was a lot slicker than i thought and i guess there was a little bit of water. bam! i went down like a sack of potatos! i hurt a little but i was more embarrassed than anything. sh*t, right in front of everyone!!!

(and do i even have to mention storm drain grills???)

Comment

Talking about passing pedestrians... one time there was this little old lady in front of me on the sidewalk, bent over, walking cane, everything, slowly movin' on. As I approached from the rear, the sidewalk got narrow, with busy traffic to the left and a big mock orange hedge to the right. No way to pass. So I slowed down, waiting for this lady to proceed through the narrow part into the wider section of sidewalk beyond, where I would be able to pass her safely. I slowed down... boy, I hope she speeds up... I slowed down some more... isn't she past the hedge yet?... slowed down some more... maybe I should dismount?... slowed down some more... and then at that point I completely lost my forward momentum and toppled over sideways into the mock orange hedge! Major scratches up and down my shin. The old lady? She just kept on going and never noticed a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric

The old lady? She just kept on going and never noticed a thing.
                          Or maybe she did and was laughing to herself as she walked away. That's how those old folks really are...as seen in old kung fu movies.

Comment

Working...
                          X