Lihing Mango Mochi Ice Cream!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lihing Mango Mochi Ice Cream!

Today I went grocery shopping at one of the nearby Asian/American markets. I was walking past the frozen cases and saw some mochi ice cream (for those of you who don't know what mochi ice cream is, it's a ball of ice cream surrounded by mochi [sweet rice cooked and pounded until it's soft and pliable]). Normally, there are at least 3 or 4 different brands of mochi ice cream in the case. Today there was a new brand. I got all excited because I discovered that it was made in Aiea! And I got even more excited when I saw that one of the flavors in the case was li hing mango!

So I bought a box (8 kinda manini pieces for $6.99) and sampled it. It was onolicious! The company that makes it is Bubbie's (www.bubbiesicecream.com). I found out that they make 16 flavors of mochi ice cream, as well as regular ice cream. They have outlets on Oahu, so if anyone's craving some healthy, onolicious mochi ice cream, go get it fresh from Bubbie's! When I first saw the name "Bubbies" on the box I thought, "hmmm...a Jewish name for grandma...what does THAT have to do with Hawai'i?" Anyway, if you go to their website and read the history of the company, it's all explained there.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Lihing Mango Mochi Ice Cream!

Bubbies! Yeah, do they still have the place near Puck's Alley? I haven't been by there in a year or so.

Comment

Miulang!!!! Ho! Bubbies Ice Cream is a local delight in Honolulu and is based here as well

They're in Moilili across the parking lot entrance to Varsity Theater (their main store and ice cream factory. And you're speculation is correct the owner is Jewish, but they make their ice cream locally and some of their concoctions are outrageous and full of butter fat which makes their ice cream really fattening but MMMMmmmmmm sooooo goood!

They make a variety of mochi ice cream balls including green tea which is my favorite. They supply all the ice cream for The Early School's annual fundraiser (you buy a $6 ticket and it allows you to eat all the Bubbies ice cream you tummy can handle).

If you want the best in ice cream and don't care about calories, it's Bubbies in Moilili.

Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I noticed they're selling Mochi Ice Cream at Costco now. I think the brand is Mikawaya, or something like that.
        * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
        - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani
          I noticed they're selling Mochi Ice Cream at Costco now. I think the brand is Mikawaya, or something like that.
          That's what I usually buy. But I couldn't resist buying the Bubbie's even if it does cost more because I like supporting products made in Hawai'i, especially good products. That's why I only buy C&H sugar and the turbinado sugar produced on Maui that you can get up here called "Sugar in the Raw".

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I've tried both and nothing compares to Bubbies.

Comment

Bubbies Rocks!!

we used to go choke times!! my sistah and moddah was hooked on deir ice cream like addicts!! LOL
              Reggie aka pinakboy
              Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
              Raw Eats Veggie Videos
              Recipe Tube TV!
              Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Bubbies? Never heard of um until reading this thread. Such a sheltered life I've lived...

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                  Bubbies? Never heard of um until reading this thread. Such a sheltered life I've lived...
                  Me too....

Comment

Do they still have the rated-R ice cream flavors? I remember when they opened a store in Kahala Mall they had to tone it down somewhat for the kiddies...

Comment

when i was single we'd go check out Bubbies coz get choke UH Manoa chicks dea!! On da sidestreet off of University Ave right across of da Varsity movie theater.
                      Reggie aka pinakboy
                      Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                      Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                      Recipe Tube TV!
                      Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Bubbies has been a local institution for more than a decade...

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe

Bubbies has been a local institution for more than a decade...
                          Well lemme see...if I minus da 7 years I've been living on da mainland...anden minus da time before that when I was living as one hermit up Halawa Valley.... Brah, it's bad enuff I've lived a sheltered and deprived life...no need fo rub um in.

By da way, Bubbies has been in operation in Hawai'i just shy of two decades, which just confirms how out of touch I've been.

Comment

Well lemme see...if I minus da 7 years I've been living on da mainland...anden minus da time before that when I was living as one hermit up Halawa Valley.... Brah, it's bad enuff I've lived a sheltered and deprived life...no need fo rub um in.

By da way, Bubbies has been in operation in Hawai'i just shy of two decades, which just confirms how out of touch I've been.
                            Eida dat, or it shows what an old fut you are! I get one excuse...I one Maui girl. Dey no moa Bubbies on Maui yet...but as OggBoy says, Oahu no moa Krispy Kreme or Ruby's Diner or Komoda Bakery...

Miulang

Comment

Yeah so what bodda you

Das okay dat Oahu no get Krispy Kreme or Komoda's bakery. I think Liliha's cream puffs are better than Komoda's anyway.

But other than that, Oahu has everything else!

I wish Keaau had anything though The only new entry into our neighborhood is an L&L Drive in opening up in the Keaau Shopping Center next to Charlie's Bar and Grill. Woo hoo finally! But when Zippy's comes to the Big Island...that's when Honolulu has arrived.

Comment

Working...
                              X