Which book should I read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which book should I read?

I have made my choices in books we need to read (then write a 3 page essay based on the experience we felt reading the book).

The choices are:
    - 1984 by George Orwell
    -The Tattoo by Chris Mckinney
    -The good Earth by Pearl Buck

Based on what I read on Amazon, they're all interesting to me. I'll try to see if some of the bookstores have it here, if not then I'll be buying it from amazon.com.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Which book should I read?

1984 is a classic and still stands up today. In fact, the parallels with the current regime in Washington are a little spooky. If you are at all interested in politics, read this one.

The Tattoo is a good read; a little bleak, but worthwhile. I liked it, but it put me in a bad mood.

I remember reading The Good Earth in school, and I put it in the same category as James Michener's Hawaii: romanticized pseudo-history. The writing style is dated, and the characters are stereotyped. I wouldn't choose it.

Comment

da used book stores getum by da dozens fo cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        The writing style is dated...
        now, what could THAT mean?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          now, what could THAT mean?
          "A Classic?"
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            I remember reading The Good Earth in school, and I put it in the same category as James Michener's Hawaii: romanticized pseudo-history. The writing style is dated, and the characters are stereotyped. I wouldn't choose it.
            Adrian, I'm not saying to disregard the advice of others, but I'm a literature teacher, so I'd like you to consider seriously what I have to say.

There's no question in my mind which one of these books is the most valuable for your education and which, in the long run, is most valuable for your life. However, each of these books has something to recommend it, so I'll hit them one at a time.

1984 is one of those books that, after you read it, you suddenly realize what everyone was talking about. All those references to "Big Brother" and "Orwellian" you hear all the time are alluding to this book. Reading 1984 will make you more culturally literate. On the downside, what makes it interesting are the ideas Orwell brings up. The writing's not very interesting or memorable.

The Tattoo is of very little literary value. It's not very well written. It hasn't passed the test of time and I doubt that twenty years from now, anyone outside Hawaii will even know what it is. However, it is set in Hawaii, and it is set in a prison, which is pretty interesting. I have known many younger readers (ninth through twelfth grades) who really connected with this book, and I suspect that's why your instructor put it on the list. If you are a reluctant reader, this is really the book you want to go for.

It's difficult for me to discuss The Good Earth without getting carried away, because I consider it one of the greatest novels ever written. Now, I know you'll look at it and think of it as "old," and it is the oldest title on this list (1932, compared to 1984's 1948 publication), but more than the other two novels on your list, The Good Earth is timeless. One reason for this timelessness is the universal issues it addresses. You will find yourself impressed by Wang Lung's work ethic, as he moves from extreme poverty to great riches with only the sweat of his brow, the strength of his convictions, and the extraordinariness of his wife, O-Lan. He survives greedy, lazy relatives. He withstands the hardship of famine. He endures the jealousy of his neighbors. The only thing he doesn't handle well is his own success. I hope, too, that you'll be appalled by Wang Lung's sons, in whom I think you'll see reflections of yourself. I know that I see myself in them, since I, too, am the product of my parents' hard work and have lost many of the values that made them successful. My parents are tough; I'm soft.

With all due respect to Glen, this is not romanticized pseudo-history. Michener was never there, living the life he wrote about. Pearl Buck was. She was the daughter of missionaries in China, and she writes about these people (and this land) with a loving, gentle, hand. The Good Earth has not a single thing in common with Hawaii.

Additionally, the writing is only dated in that it was published when writers could be popular and literary at the same time. The Tattoo, as good as it is, is written simply, with little regard for artistry. We're talking 1932 here, not the 1800s. That's the English our parents and grandparents spoke, and that's not dated at all. I've read this book with eighth graders, and while they didn't all love it, none of them had a problem understanding the writing. Do not let Glen's calling it "dated" influence your choice without first reading a sample chapter yourself.

So. I'll summarize:
            If you want something that will make you a bit more culturally literate, read Nineteen Eighty-Four.
            If you want something that willl be a good, quick read, set in a time and place you're familiar with, read The Tattoo.
            If you want something that will touch you and move you, that will make you look at your values (and the values of your parents), read The Good Earth. It is also the best choice if you plan to further your education beyond your Associate's degree (and if you don't plan to, you really should), because it is a respected work of literature and it's accessible enough for younger readers.

ps: put 'em up, Glen! I'm willing to fight for this one!
            Last edited by scrivener; August 4, 2005, 01:11 PM. Reason: "show me how you want it to be..."
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hmm. Well, I was only about fourteen when I read it. Maybe it'll read better now that I'm older. OK scrivener, you've given The Good Earth a second chance at touching me.

Comment

EDIT: Now I have 2 books to potentially read: The Da Vinci Code and The Good Earth.

Unless someone else recommends me to buy another book, then which should I read?
                Last edited by adrian; August 4, 2005, 03:11 PM.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Just on the basis of what I've read about it, ignore Dan Brown's book.

I have nothing to add to what scrivener said about Pearl Buck's novel. It was on my list of books in high school, but I chose a different one. Whatever it was, it didn't stick with me like The Good Earth obviously did with scrivener.

As to style, if you've read any Dickens, you've read a style nobody uses anymore, and if you got past that, then you can read Buck.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                    Adrian, I'm not saying to disregard the advice of others, but I'm a literature teacher, so I'd like you to consider seriously what I have to say.
                    Hey, I thought the whole point of giving the students the option to choose a book was to avoid an English teacher telling them which way to go?

I wasn't a fan of The Good Earth, either. But I'm pretty sure the experience would have been different had I picked it, rather than have it picked for me.

My vote is for 1984. My anti-vote is definitely for The Da Vinci Code. Is that thing really on a recommended reading list for a school? Eep.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      Hey, I thought the whole point of giving the students the option to choose a book was to avoid an English teacher telling them which way to go?
                      Hahaha! Okay, then Adrian, take the advice of a computer teacher. Forget that English teacher stuff.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Chris McKinnley.. a lot of the local Hawaiian literature is actually really good!

Comment

For local lit, my current fave is still Lois-Ann Yamanaka. Her characters are the kids I grew up with... the ones my mom told me not to hang out with.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Beer
                            Chris McKinnley.. a lot of the local Hawaiian literature is actually really good!
                            I'm not disputing that, but even for Hawaii literature, The Tattoo doesn't measure up to the standards that such writers as Lois-Ann Yamanaka, Marie Hara, and Rodney Morales have established. I'm not sure it measures up to Lee Cataluna, even. As I said, it's a good, quick read, and there is something interesting about it. But comparing it to The Good Earth is kinda like comparing General Hospital to ER.

The Pulitzer Prize does not mean everything, but The Good Earth was awarded one, and that certainly means something.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                              But comparing it to The Good Earth is kinda like comparing General Hospital to ER.
                              This comparison only works if someone shares your subjective value judgement that one of the two TV shows is notably better than the other. I'm not impressed with either, so I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say. The Tattoo is General Hospital while The Good Earth is E.R.? So The Tattoo is like mindless escapist fare of mediocre quality about people in a hospital while The Good Earth is... mindless escapist fare of mediocre quality about people in a hospital?

Comment

Working...
                              X