Hawaii's Salaries Ranked 19th Nationally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii's Salaries Ranked 19th Nationally

When I read this story, it didn't come as any particular surprise. Hawai'i has a lot of service jobs, but the opportunities for managers and other professionals to make a decent living is less likely than anywhere else due to the high cost of living.

So I guess if you want to be a restaurant server or cook, you can probably find a job. If you want to be a manager or other professional, be prepared to make about $20k less than your peers on the Mainland, if you can find a job to fit your skills.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Hawaii's Salaries Ranked 19th Nationally

Hm.. always interesting.

How do people on the mainland make so much money??!!??

Granted I live in Korea.. but most of my mainland adult life (at least 10 working years there).. I always made an average of about $22,000/year. Where and how do those other mainlanders make their money? Its something I never really got.

Here in Korea where I live, tons of 'english-speaking nationality speakers'.. we all make around $25,000/year here.. and wouldn't want to go back to the mainland (or respective countries).. because we all feel we are better off here financially somehow (myself included).

If I knew somewhere on the mainland I could go and live tomorrow, and somehow be guaranteed of making more than $30,000/year.. I'd go there in a heartbeat.. but never discovered such a place yet.

I guess if I'm use to 'lower' incomes.. then Hawaii will probably be an easy move for me whenever I leave Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Beer
      Hm.. always interesting.

How do people on the mainland make so much money??!!??

Granted I live in Korea.. but most of my mainland adult life (at least 10 working years there).. I always made an average of about $22,000/year. Where and how do those other mainlanders make their money? Its something I never really got....

I guess if I'm use to 'lower' incomes.. then Hawaii will probably be an easy move for me whenever I leave Korea.
      It kinda depends on the industry you're in, too. On the Mainland, the jobs that command more money are the ones in high tech, although a lot of those jobs are getting outsourced (I think the age of high tech is about at an end). Teachers don't make as much money as they deserve anywhere in the US, but teachers in large cities seem to make slightly more money. It also depends on how many CEUs you've taken and what your highest level of education is.

Any manager should be making at least double what the highest paid worker is making because of the additional responsibilities (i.e. the headaches) that person assumes, such as managing budgets and HR issues. Apparently, it's not happening in Hawai'i.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Sad, but true, that Hawaii's main industry will always be tourism and not technology. It was one of the reasons why I left Hawaii.

Although a lot of tech jobs are being outsourced, I don't see this industry going away totally. I think to stay compeititive with the industry it helps to have:

A bachelor's degree from a university, preferably a science related field like computer science or engineering.

Being a "jack of all trades" but have one particular specialty that you excel at, whether it be development or operations. Certifications are certainly nice to have on your resume, but the classes and exams can be expensive. It's nice to have your company pay it for you.

I do remember the hey days of the technology industry, around the late 90s when the Internet was coming to the masses and the popular "Y2K" compliance was something that every company was worried about. After Y2K, things went downhill with the dot com bubble burst.

I recall companies were hiring any "average joe" out there who read a book about "PHP for Dummies," and then be labelled the PHP guru. With big time investment dollars, these type of employees were being paid big bucks. I had a friend, who was a network engineer with cisco certifications, making at least 100K a year. That's certainly a chunk of change!

I don't think the market for tech jobs will be as plentiful as before, but, I do see tech companies being a lot more pickier about who they hire.

Comment

Working...
        X