Parking tickets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking tickets

This is kind of an off the wall question, but I would like to get some info on parking fines in Honolulu. How much are they for overtime on a meter or parking in a no-parking space? And, is the city of Honolulu aggressive about enforcing parking rules or are they pretty laid back?

Re: Parking tickets

a little.

a lot.

yes.

no.

Comment

Got one today on South St. $35 for an expired meter. And yes, they are vigilant.

Comment

They have tow trucks circling like vultures when allowed parking times run out. They give out parking violations like candy, espcially in Honolulu.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
          They have tow trucks circling like vultures when allowed parking times run out. They give out parking violations like candy, espcially in Honolulu.
          here's the format;
          cop gives a ticket to a car. Tow truck can then legally tow it away. Cop waits by the car till truck arrives.
          It is a scam, big time.
          So, you are out the 35 to 75 bux and the 150. tow and storage fee.
          Don't go over, even one minute, in the rush hour lanes.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            here's the format;
            cop gives a ticket to a car. Tow truck can then legally tow it away. Cop waits by the car till truck arrives.
            It is a scam, big time.
            So, you are out the 35 to 75 bux and the 150. tow and storage fee.
            Don't go over, even one minute, in the rush hour lanes.
            And my guess is that the cops are more diligent about enforcing the parking laws at the end of the month rather than any other time of the month. Why? Because they probably have quotas to fill. Besides, Mufi is trying to raise money so he doesn't have to raise taxes, right?

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              And my guess is that the cops are more diligent about enforcing the parking laws at the end of the month rather than any other time of the month.

the first or the 30th. vultures circle and are hungry.

Comment

I used to live in Waikiki (Paoakalani and Kuhio), and street parking was a circus. You had to be creative, and take chances. I don't know how many parking tickets I'd collected during those years. It got to be that I would happily take the bus to school or work if I had a particularly good, legal space close to my building! I wanted to savor it.

Comment

Once a few years ago, I was parked on Pau St. and didn't realise that on the ewa side there's no parking after 3pm. When I got back to my car after 4pm. it was gone. Lucky (?) for me the tow lot was still at the corner of Kapiolani & Kalakaua so I just walked there. I got charged the full tow and even a storage fee. What a bummer. Of course paid the ticket as well. Such the life.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

An officer friend of mine told me awhile back that around the downtown area...."zone 1" I believe is what they call it, has been deemed a priority. Makes sense though, since an illegally parked car during ruch hour can mess things up even more. I wouldn't call it a scam like Kimo said, but when it happens to you, it's very easy to get pissed. Bottom line is, the guidelines are on the signs, and I guess as citizens, we're surprised when things a strictly enforced. I learned the hard way....needed to pick something up downtown, ran into the office, and two minutes later, my car was already being hooked up. Also had the bad fortune of my alarm not going off due to a blackout and not moving my car by 6:30 am, only to discover it towed. Just a reminder folks, the tow company only takes cash!!!! Another time, I did have the good fortune of having an officer who was ABOUT to ticket my car but let me off.....

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
                      I wouldn't call it a scam like Kimo said, but when it happens to you, it's very easy to get pissed.

yea... shouldnta called it a scam. they are just trying to keep things flowing in this ever crowded city of ours.
                      I am just pissed our parking is increasingly limited as the years go by, and as we allow more overbuilding and too many people in too finite an area.
                      The family has a condo since the early 70's, Vineyard area. Our side street was happily un-metered for a long time. Then, when older buidings were torn down, replaced by office buildings which started enroaching into our residential area, these damned parking meters sprouted up and of course, all the signs. taking away our parking that we had for so long.
                      Now. gotta get up and out, and feed that damned meter at 7 a.m. or risk a ticket and tow.

Comment

yea... shouldnta called it a scam. they are just trying to keep things flowing in this ever crowded city of ours.
                        I am just pissed our parking is increasingly limited as the years go by, and as we allow more overbuilding and too many people in too finite an area.
                        The family has a condo since the early 70's, Vineyard area. Our side street was happily un-metered for a long time. Then, when older buidings were torn down, replaced by office buildings which started enroaching into our residential area, these damned parking meters sprouted up and of course, all the signs. taking away our parking that we had for so long.
                        Now. gotta get up and out, and feed that damned meter at 7 a.m. or risk a ticket and tow.

Yeah, talk about overcrowding...I grew up in Salt Lake near Moanalua High School, in the homes away from the apartment buildings. As more of the buildings went up and people needed more parking, the streets where I once played are full of cars....in front of people's homes! Long ago, there were NEVER cars on the street in the area. I grew up being leery of strange cars on our street....when I go there now, there's different cars all the ti8me. Talk about progress.....

Comment

I don't understand why they seem to keep building buildings here without providing enough parking to accomodate the buildings.

I live in Waikiki (near Tony Roma's), and I absolutely refuse to drive anywhere in that area. Not only are the tourist pedestrians clueless about traffic lights, but parking is near impossible unless you are willing to pay an arm and a leg to the hotels. My bldg has no guest parking after midnight, so I often have to circle my apartment area (just like the tow truck vultures!) early in the afternoon in order to find a spot so my guests can park in my bldg, and then I have to be up at 6:30am regularly to move my car back into the guest parking for my bldg so I don't get towed. (Not to mention that if you park your car in my guest parking past midnight, yes, you will get towed promptly again.)

I made a mistake a few months ago that resulted in my car being towed, and the police provided me with the wrong address for the tow company (apparently the towing company had moved), and when I called the tow company to find out how much it would cost (not at this point realizing the address I received from the police was incorrect), the tow company person didn't bother volunteering the info that they had moved, nor did they ask if I needed to know their location. They were the most unhelpful people I have ever encountered. Lucky for me the cabbie I hailed happened to remember that the tow company had moved, thus saving me an extra trip and even more money out of my pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                            I made a mistake a few months ago that resulted in my car being towed, and the police provided me with the wrong address...

I was towed from one o doze spots between driveways, ya know da kine just big enuff fer my Honda, but was illegal. and this was in the mauka of kapiolani area wheah da residents call da cops wikiwiki when an outsider parks wrongly in their area.
                            So my car is gone, when i return, and i didn't even enjoy that visit wit dat wahine at da Marco Polo!

So, I call da cops cuz i hope it was ticketed and towed.
                            they had NO info on it! Sheeeyy it.
                            And da car was fulla goods and stuff and a box I was gonna ship to an ebay buyer who paid $800. for a collectable. and i woulda hadda refund that money! and to think on toppa dat, my car was stolen! i called da cops again to confirm. No. no reports of a honda with those plates being towed from that area.

Finally called a little later and they said; "Oh yea. was looking wrong place.
                            yea. it's at da kine towing."
                            Course, was on odda side of town. 150 bux later, and after having to prove my ownership of the car by producing paperwork even I... have not seen in years, got my car and my hate for the way the city county and state runs this island grew exponentially.

Comment

Finally called a little later and they said; "Oh yea. was looking wrong place.
                              yea. it's at da kine towing."
                              Course, was on odda side of town. 150 bux later, and after having to prove my ownership of the car by producing paperwork even I... have not seen in years, got my car and my hate for the way the city county and state runs this island grew exponentially.
                              Count yourself lucky you got your car back including your valuables. I wasted several years of my life driving wreckers in da Zone 2 Kalihi-Airport-Salt Lake area, so I should know...not that I did any of that stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X