Michener's "Hawai`i"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michener's "Hawai`i"

Niele au: how accurate do you think Michener's account of ancient Tahiti/Hawai‘i is? Not the geology part, but the lives of the people and the dicovery of Hawai‘i. He says he did plenny research, still I wonder about the validity of what he wrote. The book is "historical fiction"...

Aloha,
    Mokihana

Re: Michener's "Hawai`i"

Originally posted by Mokihana
    how accurate do you think Michener's account of ancient Tahiti/Hawai‘i is? Not the geology part, but the lives of the people and the dicovery of Hawai‘i. He says he did plenny research, still I wonder about the validity of what he wrote. The book is "historical fiction"...

valid as what?
    historical fiction?
    yes, of course.
    But valid as a history book?
    I would say, you could do worse.
    Valid as a great story?
    Sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana

Niele au: how accurate do you think Michener's account of ancient Tahiti/Hawai‘i is? Not the geology part, but the lives of the people and the dicovery of Hawai‘i. He says he did plenny research, still I wonder about the validity of what he wrote. The book is "historical fiction"...

Well, for sure any dialogue in the book was shibai. They didn't have tape recorders or videocams back then...

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I was a big fan of Michener's work for a long time, and I own half-a-dozen of the big books (Centennial, The Covenant, The Source, etc.). If I read Hawai'i it was long before I moved here, and I don't remember it.

On balance, you can trust most of his historical data, I think. His character's motivations are his own imagination at work.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          valid as what?
          historical fiction?
          yes, of course.
          But valid as a history book?
          I would say, you could do worse.
          Valid as a great story?
          Sure!
          Valid as to the accuracy of life in ancient Tahiti/Hawai‘i. I guess that's what I meant. Obviously a great deal of the book is accurate, but yeah, no tape recorders back then... I

Just wondered if there's been any reports that the book was humbug in any way... like he was way off with his facts about the ancient Polynesian culture.

I thought the movie was junk.
          Aloha,
          Mokihana

Comment

Working...
          X