X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rides down the middle of the street, blowing kisses from atop my palamino

</acting like a pa'u queen>

alooooooooooooooha!

I am Pua'i Mana'o, and like many here I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I am married, have a couple of keiki, am part-Hawaiian and my keiki are enrolled in a Kula Kaiapuni.

We need some Hawaiian icons--some triangles down the face, or two doing a honi, or a tiki head....

I look foward to making my own threads around here and getting to know you all!

aloha,
    Pua'i

pax

Re: rides down the middle of the street, blowing kisses from atop my palamino

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
    We need some Hawaiian icons--some triangles down the face, or two doing a honi, or a tiki head....
    welcome.

buuuttt...

a "tiki head" is not a Hawaiian icon.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      a "tiki head" is not a Hawaiian icon.
      But those flat Russian paintings of Jesus, aren't they called icons? If a picture of Jesus is a Christian icon, then wouldn't a picture of a tiki be a Hawaiian icon?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        But those flat Russian paintings of Jesus, aren't they called icons? If a picture of Jesus is a Christian icon, then wouldn't a picture of a tiki be a Hawaiian icon?
        a 'tiki' is not Hawaiian. it's like relabelling a hula wahine... well sumpin like,
        "boola boola chika"

There is no such word as
        "tiki"
        in the Hawaiian language.
        She may be referring to ki'i akua.
        an image of a Hawaiian God. but still as my miles of ranting and raving here on da t'reads proclaim, the image of akua should not be used as simple general decor.
        further, what would someone want with triangles down the face?
        what does she mean?
        she wants a mano tooth tat?
        Is her aumakua the shark?

("tiki" has such a negative connotation now, with many kama'aina, due to the mainland tiki culture turning it into a fad or goofy cartoonish party theme.)
        Last edited by kimo55; August 8, 2005, 09:05 AM.

Comment

a 'tiki' is not Hawaiian.
          OK, that's true. Let me rephrase.

But those flat Russian paintings of Jesus, aren't they called icons? If a picture of Jesus is a Christian icon, then wouldn't a picture of a ki'i akua be a Hawaiian icon?

but still as my miles of ranting and raving here on da t'reads proclaim, the image of akua should not be used as simple general decor.
          Aww, sez you Kimo. I'd put one up next to my Buddy Jesus and my Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Buddha dolls. Hey, does anybody know where to get a Kung Fu Grip Mohammed?

Comment

</acting like a pa'u queen>

alooooooooooooooha!

I am Pua'i Mana'o, and like many here I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I am married, have a couple of keiki, am part-Hawaiian and my keiki are enrolled in a Kula Kaiapuni.
            Oh yeah, and aloha, Pua'i! As you can see, we're one big happy ohana here.

Comment

Actuallyā€¦.I meant ā€œtikiā€....

BUT I meant the mana-less tiki of the 20th century food and beverage industries, which were inspired (ripped-off) of our time-immemorial kiā€™i. However, the tiki keeps none of the historical protocols, names, mana, etc. These have evolved into its own addition to the latter-day lexicon as ā€œtikiā€. Yeah, and up for derision, sure! I would not disagree. But I have no ethical problems ripping off a rip-off, kwim? For our ancestors, our people and our own families weren't just about the highest forms of protocolā€”we had senses of humour, handled hana ā€˜ino (and had hana ā€˜ino others; we not perfect!), threw (and were thrown) off the paliā€¦.

I was merely perpetuating a age-old Hawaiian practice of ho'ohenehene. ;-)

My pilikia, however, started when I called the icons ā€œHawaiianā€. Although it can be argued that ā€œHawaiianā€ as a title is up for debate itself, as ā€œHawaiianā€ is not a ā€˜Hawaiianā€™ word, (mea Hawaiā€™i, or simply Hawaiā€™i is the way to say Hawai'i through the ā€˜olelo)ā€¦but then again, I didnā€™t know how deep we go hereā€¦that said, this was a good check for me, mahalo nui.

Either way, if the concern is that my using the term ā€œtikiā€ is out of fear that I am perpetuating something terrible, as in the disembowelment of our ancestors for example, e kala mai! No such intention exists on this end of the keyboard. I merely wanted to be light-hearted in my intro.

Never wanting to insult our culture...me ke aloha,

Puaā€™i

pax

Comment

Pua'i -- nah, nemmind. Das' just Kimo, he's kinda sensitive and humorless about tiki and ki'i. E komo mai.

Comment

Re: Actuallyā€¦.I meant ā€œtikiā€....

Never wanting to insult our culture...me ke aloha,

Puaā€™i
                  As you found out much too soon, tita, get one resident wana insai dis place dat you just gotta watch out where you step bumbai you going get poke. But a'ole pilikia...just go mimi ontop da buggah anden bumbai pau.

Comment

Hui Pua'i:
                    No hilahila, Tita! We just like one big, normally dysfunctional ohana.
                    Kanaka maoli and locals who support their cause have a biiiig job ahead of us to try to educate people who don't understand why we say there can be no equality if there is no justice. That's the only way malihini will know that there is no such thing as a tiki and why the ki'i were so important to the religion of the kanaka maoli.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.ā€ --Mark Twain

Comment

Aloha and welcome to our OHANA! I see you've met some of the regulars. No pun intended. LOL

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

my keiki are enrolled in a Kula Kaiapuni.
                        Wow, that's great. How are they doing? Tell us more!

Comment

Mahalo everyone! I have to say that I completely agree with Kimo. Truth be told, I share the same trigger (along with many more) about Perpetuating Pololeiā„¢.

(this is going to be my marketing slogan some day soon. No tell HVCB!)

As with any community, o/l or in r/l, I need to figure out how to communicate as best as possible. Wop my own jaws on this one! =)

As for my own children in Kaiapuni, overall I am quite pleased with their progress. As with any parent who is involved in their children's education, this is a topic I can spend day and night talking about...

aloha,
                          Pua'i

pax

Comment

("tiki" has such a negative connotation now, with many kama'aina, due to the mainland tiki culture turning it into a fad or goofy cartoonish party theme.)
                            I don't know about the "many" part, but it does carry a negative connotation among the hyper-sensitive kama'aina out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                              I don't know about the "many" part,
                              I do.
                              but it does carry a negative connotation among the hyper-sensitive kama'aina out there.
                              for good reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X