RVs in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RVs in Hawaii?

Originally I was going to ask, are there mobile homes in Hawaii? Though when I thought back, I remember seeing one parked on a street near where I lived some years ago. So I guess my more general question is, why aren't there more RVs in Hawaii?

Save the snarky answers. I know it's mostly because you can't exactly drive in or out to or from another state. That there aren't that many places to go. That shipping an RV here would be incredibly expensive. But is that all?

Is Hawaii unfriendly to RVs? Say, from a regulatory standpoint? (There are occasional references to them in HRS, but oddly enough many times in entries relating to agriculture.) Are they commercial vehicles, or accommodations? Are there any RV facilities anywhere in Hawaii (i.e. parking with water and power service)?

I see this company rents RVs on the Big Island, probably the only island where it makes sense. But apart from that, mobile homes and RVs seem incredibly rare. I know our streets are packed as it is, but with the housing market in such dire straits, I'm wondering why they haven't picked up at all. After all, there was that whole family living in a set of old tour buses...

Re: RVs in Hawaii?

Hahaha! I just did a search and came up with a "Maui Motorhome" that rents campers, etc. in AUSTRALIA! but not on Maui. Besides the cost to fuel one of those gas guzzlers, my guess is most of the local streets in the 'aina are kinda too narrow to allow one of those behemoths and another car to peacefully co-exist on the same road.

One company on Oahu advertises rentals of RVs. For one that's between 21 ft and 32 ft long, expect to pay over $1,000/week, not including the cost of propane for cooking or gas for driving. My guess is a homeless person is not going to be able to come up with that kind of scratch to live in an RV. For that matter, MOST people in any economic stratum would be hard pressed to pay for an RV rental in Hawaii. Even dividing the expense 5 ways, it'd still be cheaper to find one of those budget hotel rooms than it would be to rent of those road hogs.

If someone wanted to own one of those in Hawai'i, would they also have to pay a vehicle tax based on the gross weight of the vehicle, too? That would bust anybody's budget if that was true.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

RVs in Hawai'i? No thanks. Just look at what happens with RVs in Florida -- the damn things are hurricane magnets!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Is Hawaii unfriendly to RVs?
        Hawaii is unfriendly to motels too.
        Last edited by kimo55; August 8, 2005, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Seriously? It probably has to do with the high cost of land. Trailer parks and whatnot aren't an especially profitable use of your land, per square foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Seriously? It probably has to do with the high cost of land. Trailer parks and whatnot aren't an especially profitable use of your land, per square foot.
            And most of those trailer parks, if they're not inhabited by old people who can't afford anything better, tend to attract people of low intelligence who pop babies out with alarming regularity and who have gun racks in their pickup trucks. Oh yeah, and as Glen pointed out, they do tend to be hurricane magnets!

Now the newer "manufactured homes"...the ones that are prefabbed but permanently mounted on foundations are much much better, but land is getting scarce and even those tend to get put on land waaaaay out in the boondocks up here.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              And most of those trailer parks, if they're not inhabited by old people who can't afford anything better, tend to attract people of low intelligence who pop babies out with alarming regularity and who have gun racks....

yea, but dass in dat foreign country far away from here... ya know, where they call erry ting racist, and are relentless in the theft of indigenous race's entitlements...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                yea, but dass in dat foreign country far away from here... ya know, where they call erry ting racist, and are relentless in the theft of indigenous race's entitlements...
                ROFLMAO! That's true! "Amelika" da hauna. I have neighbors across the street from me who are like those trailer park people: they get on top of 12 ft high ladders and hand each other running chainsaws at the top of the ladder to trim a 20 ft high hedge. They hacked it to death last year and got it down to about 5 ft tall but then never did anything to keep it trimmed so now it's 20 ft high again. They have an amateur autobody shop in this garage across the street and will be sanding, pounding out dents and spray painting (with spray cans, mind you) with hip hop music blaring (they are white). When cars drive by too fast, they make snarky comments that of course the drivers of those cars can't hear (but I CAN). We keep wishing they would move back to the trailer park from which they were obviously spawned.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; August 8, 2005, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I have neighbors like those trailer park people: they get on top of 12 ft high ladders and hand each other running chainsaws They have an amateur autobody shop in this garage across the street and will be sanding, pounding out dents and spray painting with spray cans with hip hop music blaring (they are white). When cars drive by too fast, they make snarky comments

eeeewwww! Kill it before it multiplies!

Comment

I suppose in Hawaii a mobile home is more likey to be a boat as opposed to a car. I don't have a clue as to why we don't have RV parks but then again do we need it?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                      I don't have a clue as to why we don't have RV parks

I do;
                      cuz we don't need them! they and RV's are fairly foreign to us and have no place here.
                      RV's traverse the states. they go... long distances to allow people to "live" in a mobile cross country manner.
                      again.... that's why we don't have "motels" in Hawaii.
                      (one o da reasons that strange t shirt design at crazy shirts makes no sense: "Tiki Motel, Hawaii")

Comment

ROFLMAO! That's true! "Amelika" da hauna. I have neighbors across the street from me who are like those trailer park people. They have an amateur autobody shop in this garage across the street and will be sanding, pounding out dents and spray painting (with spray cans, mind you) with hip hop music blaring (they are white). When cars drive by too fast, they make snarky comments that of course the drivers of those cars can't hear (but I CAN). We keep wishing they would move back to the trailer park from which they were obviously spawned.
                        Now that's a pretty hauna attitude to have... love the comment about hip-hop not being the kind of music white kids should be listening to. just like saying only hawaiians should be allowed to listen to hawaiian music.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                          love the comment about hip-hop not being the kind of music white kids should be listening to.
                          who said what!?
                          just like saying only hawaiians should be allowed to listen to hawaiian music.
                          yes. It's JUST like that!

Comment

But why?

I mean, what you'll do, take a ferry to each island and drive around in your 100ft vechicle, polluting the air just so that you can sleep anywhere you want? That's why they made backseats!

I only saw maybe one or 2 RVs in my lifetime in Hawaii (both of them was on old '79 to '84 compact pickups) and they looked like they were too beat up to sleep in.

And speaking of which, what's the point in putting 30" mud boggers on a 4x4 truck here? (I know pig hunting, but there's a difference between hunting for pigs and trailing up a mountain)
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

who said what!?
                              with hip hop music blaring (they are white).
                              yes. It's JUST like that!
                              Thanks for helping to prove my point about how hypocritical that statement was.

Comment

Working...
                              X