RIP Peter Jennings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Peter Jennings!

I saw reports of his death both on the web and news this morning. Like millions of others, I only knew him from watching his news reports. He died of cancer from smoking cigarrettes. Another reason why I didn't want to further listen to the news of what took the life of such a humble and great man. Why? Cause I have a hard time quitting the cigarette habit myself. I'm doing better than what I used to smoke. It's not good enough...it should be a habit that should be stopped completely.

RIP Mr. Peter Jennings, thank you.

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; August 8, 2005, 03:45 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: RIP Peter Jennings!

Announced in April that he was starting chemo treatment... dead by August.

Lung cancer's a bitch, that's for sure...

Comment

Re: RIP Peter Jennings!

on nightline tonight:

PETER JENNINGS 1938-2005
      Our family has suffered a profound loss.

Peter Jennings was not simply the anchor of World News Tonight, the face of ABC News, but its soul as well. When he passed away last night, only four months after he was diagnosed with lung cancer, each of us lost not just a colleague but a part of ourselves. No matter what corner of ABC News, Peter touched all of us.

Tributes have been pouring in all day from President Bush, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, members of Congress and the average American. Said one viewer on the ABC message board who remembered Peter Jennings' marathon coverage of the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001: "I remember people saying back then that TV had become the national campfire. Well if TV was the campfire, Peter was the fire itself. He radiated comfort, security and assurance in such a sad time." Indeed, he did. Peter had a special way of connecting with the audience. His curiosity and excitement about the world were infectious. His standards were high and his demands sometimes unreasonable. But that's what made Peter the extraordinary journalist he was.

Tonight, Ted Koppel has a personal tribute to his friend and colleague with whom he has shared the ABC News microphone for more than four decades. Among others, Ted will talk with Peter's friends and competitors, former NBC Nightly News anchor Tom Brokaw and former CBS Evening News anchor Dan Rather.

It's a sad day throughout the halls of ABC News, but also a day to celebrate a rich and accomplished life. As ABC News President David Westin told all of us, "Peter died with his family around him, without pain and in peace. He knew he'd lived a good life."

Richard Harris and the Nightline Staff
      Senior Producer
      ABC News Washington Bureau
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
      X