X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most popular sports in Hawaii?

What are they?

Re: Most popular sports in Hawaii?

Most popular to participate in would probebly be fishingor golf, to watch my guess would be football/basketball.

Comment

If the 6,000 locals who do the Honolulu Marathon each year is any indication, running would come a very close third, if not one of the top two, in the participatory sports.
      http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Beer drinking and looking at girls
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Volleyball appears to be pretty popular too, other than surfing/bodyboarding.

Comment

since I'm moving to Hilo/Puna I should probobly work on my ant wrestling I heard there big uns
            Mountain bikeing,scuba,baby chaseing are current faves oh and talking trash about "The Man"

Comment

To watch with friends - football

To start at a young age - soccer or baseball

To play with others - basketball or golf

To do by yourself or with one other person - running, biking or fishing (Its fun to go out to diamond head and see lots of people enjoying themselves by joging and walking. We are so lucky to live here to enjoy a nice walk along diamond head)

Comment

Originally posted by Keith H.
                If the 6,000 locals who do the Honolulu Marathon each year is any indication, running would come a very close third, if not one of the top two, in the participatory sports.
                Yes sir! Add the 14,000 runners who come from Japan, the 4,000 from the mainland, and whom ever else comes from Europe and Africa..Germany and Switzerland seems to be well represented every year...the Kenyan runners are, of course, legendary..you get one running event of genuine international caliber.

I've run the Boston, New York, Chicago, and Cape Cod 26.2s, and they all have their individual charms, but to me, the most exciting point in the HNL 26.2 ..and maybe all of marathoning...is when you've completed the loop around Hawai'i Kai, start heading back eva on the Kal Hwy., and, if you are running well, see the thousands of runners who are behind you (still heading Koko Head on the Kal Hwy. before the Hawai'i Kai loop), cheering you on as you make your way back to Kapi'olani Park. If that doesn't inspire you to do your best, nothing is going to. It's pure adreniline from the Hawai'i Kai loop on!

Keith..I read that you're from Kailua...I often train for the HNL 26.2 every year in Kailua...I love the A'alapapa loop through Lanikai..I usually start out in the vicinity of Hahani and Kailua Road, go by the beach and Buzz's, run the loop, then head back towards Kane'ohe. That little hill just east of the beach is a tough little buggah!

You running it this year? Best of luck to you if you are. I'll be there for it.

Honolulu Marathon: "Looks like paradise..runs like Hell!"
                Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; August 16, 2005, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Superbrawl !!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                    You running it this year? Best of luck to you if you are. I'll be there for it.

Honolulu Marathon: "Looks like paradise..runs like Hell!"
                    Cool! So will I, though I'll be a bit hard to find in the sea of purple t-shirts. I'm doing it with Team in Training this year.
                    http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Wahine Volleyball. The absolute PERFECT spectator experience.

Surfing, the absolute PERFECT refreshment for mind and body. Nothing feels better than surfing.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Most popular sport in Hawaii? Cigarette-butt-out-the-window tossing ... apparently with extra points for hitting a motorcyclist. grrrr!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          Most popular sport in Hawaii? Cigarette-butt-out-the-window tossing ... apparently with extra points for hitting a motorcyclist. grrrr!
                          uh-oh! That must truly suck! It also sucks when it ends up on your lap when you're driving a clunker without airconditioning (my experience pre-kids, pre-van).
                          smokers suck and stink.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                          X