PDA

View Full Version : Rock walls and weeds

Eric
August 9th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I have a lot of rocks in my yard, but they're not humongous boulders that you can make impressive walls with. I have stones from a foot or two across (a few) to football sized (some) to fist-sized (plenty). When I was rototilling my yard last year, I pulled up enough rocks to make a big heap on my back yard sidewalk. They've been sitting there ever since. I don't know what to do with them.

I thought of maybe making a small dry-stacked rock wall, or maybe just a low platform, along the edge of my property, to put potted plants on. But if I put rocks on top of the ground, I'm afraid that the weeds will get in there and use the rocks as protection so I can't get at them. How do I build a rock wall and not have to deal with all the weeds?

craigwatanabe
August 9th, 2005, 10:24 PM
begin with a layer of rock salt to kill virtually all plant life for a while then lay your rocks over it. One thing about weeds is that in time it'll all come back so to prevent them from growing keep a mixture of Round Up handy and when you see a sprout popping thru the cracks, shoot it with the spray and you're good for the time being.

Eric
August 10th, 2005, 07:39 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks Craig!

poi cocktail :)
August 10th, 2005, 11:56 PM
weed barrier cloth underneath too though you may want to dig and pour a real foundation base for the rock wall. go home depot. they have the supplies, books and free classes. you can do it, they can help :D

craigwatanabe
August 11th, 2005, 05:41 PM
I forgot about the weed barriers, they do a good job just make sure you don't puncture them when pouring the slab.

A good concrete foundation will always prepare a stonewall for a solid build. If you're doing a retaining wall remember this rule of thumb: the width of the base should be 1/3 the height of the wall. So a 6-foot high retaining wall should be 3-feet wide at the base and tapering off to your final wall thickness at the cap. And any retaining wall requires a permit regardless of it's height.

Eric
August 11th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys, but I don't plan to pour foundation and make an actual load-bearing wall. I just want someplace to put those rocks. Maybe I can make a mini heiau. :)