Rock walls and weeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock walls and weeds

I have a lot of rocks in my yard, but they're not humongous boulders that you can make impressive walls with. I have stones from a foot or two across (a few) to football sized (some) to fist-sized (plenty). When I was rototilling my yard last year, I pulled up enough rocks to make a big heap on my back yard sidewalk. They've been sitting there ever since. I don't know what to do with them.

I thought of maybe making a small dry-stacked rock wall, or maybe just a low platform, along the edge of my property, to put potted plants on. But if I put rocks on top of the ground, I'm afraid that the weeds will get in there and use the rocks as protection so I can't get at them. How do I build a rock wall and not have to deal with all the weeds?

Re: Rock walls and weeds

begin with a layer of rock salt to kill virtually all plant life for a while then lay your rocks over it. One thing about weeds is that in time it'll all come back so to prevent them from growing keep a mixture of Round Up handy and when you see a sprout popping thru the cracks, shoot it with the spray and you're good for the time being.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks Craig!

Comment

weed barrier cloth underneath too though you may want to dig and pour a real foundation base for the rock wall. go home depot. they have the supplies, books and free classes. you can do it, they can help
        Last edited by poi cocktail :); August 11, 2005, 12:03 AM.
        this space for rent

Comment

I forgot about the weed barriers, they do a good job just make sure you don't puncture them when pouring the slab.

A good concrete foundation will always prepare a stonewall for a solid build. If you're doing a retaining wall remember this rule of thumb: the width of the base should be 1/3 the height of the wall. So a 6-foot high retaining wall should be 3-feet wide at the base and tapering off to your final wall thickness at the cap. And any retaining wall requires a permit regardless of it's height.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thanks guys, but I don't plan to pour foundation and make an actual load-bearing wall. I just want someplace to put those rocks. Maybe I can make a mini heiau.

Comment

Working...
            X