Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haoles moving from the mainland

Hey there ,

My wife and I are moving to Oahu (from Texas) at the end of this month...we both received great job opportunities (we are not in the military) and said to each other "why not?". We are a peaceful fun loving couple in our late twenties and cannot wait to get there to chill out, relax and enjoy.

We are both avid surfers and scuba divers and in the process of reading up on the island I have a few questions:

1. What are a few good safe places for haoles to live? From what I have gathered it seems to be a good idea to avoid the west side of the island altogether(please correct me if I am wrong). What places should we avoid?

2. We are looking to rent a small house and are expecting to pay anywhere from 1800 to 3000 per month. Is this a safe range to assume?

3. We have both been surfing for a few years now and are experienced on 3 to 8 foot waves (trough to crest). What are some good places for us to start surfing over there? We have nothing but respect for the locals and do not want to cause any trouble...we are just looking to have a good and safe time. What areas should we avoid?

As you can tell the wife and I just want to enjoy our time on Oahu (might be a year, might be forever) and since I have heard as many horror stories about localism as good stories, I just want some tips on a few good ways to integrate ourselves peacefully and with the utmost respect.

Thanks!

Re: Haoles moving from the mainland

With the amount of money you have budgeted for housing, you should be able to find houses for rent in neighborhoods like Kaimuki, Kapahulu and Palolo Valley. All are good neighborhoods, and are centrally located within Honolulu. The tricky part is actually getting here and having a landlord offer you a lease.

Surf anywhere in town with the right attitude, and you should have no problems. It's the country boys who like to get punchy...

Good luck with your move. Welcome to paradise!

Comment

Working...
    X