oldboy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldboy

any fans of oldboy here? were you thinkin of buying the dvd when it becomes available on aug 23rd? if so, may i suggest you hold your horses? why? cuz if you're really a hard core fan of this most awesome movie, then you may want to buy it from the u.k. say what? yeah, i know it's late but i'm not making this up. i was gearing up to order it from amazon when i read this review:

"This is one of the most original and well done movies I've ever seen. I am not going to be able to say anything about it that hasn't already been said, other than...where is everything? Why is it that we (USA) get the crappiest, cheapest versions of foreign films on DVD??? Where are the deleted scenes, the documentaries, the making of and the commentary. Go on over to Amazon.co.uk and by the 2 disc version. It's a little more but well worth it...."

so i went to the u.k. branch and guess what? the guy is right. check it out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...056845-3099634

for those of you who haven't seen it yet, you can read a synopsis of it at the u.k. link above or just do a search on the web. just don't read too much cuz if you plan to watch it, you'll enjoy it more if you don't know what's coming at you. awesome movie. and that's my two cents worth...
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: oldboy

Just make sure you've got a DVD player that can play movies with a different region code...

Comment

howzit palolo joe. thanks for mentioning that. in my case, i never give it a second thought cuz i've got 2 dvd players and both are unlocked and can play any dvd from any region.

but it's good that you mentioned it cuz there are some readers who need to consider that if they don't have a region-free player.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Yup, had a friend who didn't grasp that concept... then couldn't figure out why all the DVDs he got from Asia wouldn't play in his DVD player.

Comment

ha! ha! poor guy! did he get around to buying a region-free player? if not and if he wants to sell his asian dvds, tell him to email me! it's so good to watch non-mainstream/non-hollywood movies.

Comment

You know how you can only switch the regional code so many times before it gets "stuck" on one code? He did that, and ended up having to buy another DVD player to watch movies from the US. Portagee, I tell you...

Comment

ha! ha! yeah, i know what you're talking about. poor guy! i wish i were there when it happened to see him slap his forehead and say, "ai kudish!!!"

Comment

fans of old boy may find this article interesting....

Venice embraces South Korean "Vengeance" film

By Mike Collett-White Mon Sep 5, 9:53 AM ET

VENICE (Reuters) - After storming the box office at home, "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" by South Korean director Park Chan-wook has won over the Venice Film Festival where it is one of three Asian films in competition....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050905/...ice_korea_dc_1

Comment

i'm puzzled. in an earlier post, i referred to a comment by someone at amazon.com regarding the british version of the old boy dvd. basically, he/she said that the u.s. version didn't have any extras. well, tower video has the dvd for rent now and it DOES contain an interview with the director, director's and cinematographer's commentary, deleted scenes, etc.

oh well. the good news is that it's available for rent now. enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                  X