Hawai'i the Melting Pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai'i the Melting Pot

The US Census Bureau today released results that showed that Hawai'i is comprised of 76.7% of people who consider themselves minority. Of that group, Asians comprise the largest group of the "minority-majority" at 58%. No other State comes close to that percentage, although by around 2050, about half the entire country's population will be comprised of minorities (Hispanics being the fastest growing minority).

What's really ironic is the public policy wonks are all saying that the government needs to provide more opportunities for the minority-majority population so they can better compete in the world's economy.

"Public policy analysts said these states and the country as a whole need to bring minority education and professional achievement to the levels of whites. Otherwise, these areas risk becoming poorer and less competitive in the world market....

William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., said bringing minorities' education and salary levels in line with whites should be a top priority and needs federal support...."

So how something like the KSBE ruling can make sense based on what the people who watch the demographics of the country are saying is beyond me.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Hawai'i the Melting Pot

Originally posted by Miulang

So how something like the KSBE ruling can make sense based on what the people who watch the demographics of the country are saying is beyond me.

Miulang
    It makes sense if KSBE was a "whites only" school. If this was the case the people would be supporting this policy. If Pauahi's will was to create a school for children of Hawaii with preference to Caucasian or part-Caucasian blood "because I loved my caucasian husband so much and married him against my family's wishes" , the multiethnics would be the first ones screaming Discrimination! Just a thought
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

The US Census Bureau today released results that showed that Hawai'i is comprised of 76.7% of people who consider themselves minority. Of that group, Asians comprise the largest group of the "minority-majority" at 58%. No other State comes close to that percentage, although by around 2050, about half the entire country's population will be comprised of minorities (Hispanics being the fastest growing minority).
      Both the Advertiser and the Census Bureau used the term "minority". If you dig into the Census Bureau's news release, you can find that they are using "minority" to mean "all people except non-Hispanic single-race whites", a real mouthful.

I find their Hawai'i statistics page is more interesting.

Comment

Of all the Hawai'i factoids, I find the following the most interesting:
        HI v. US
        Population, percent change, April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2003 3.8% v. 3.3%
        Persons 65 years old and over, percent, 2000 13.3% v. 12.4%
        Asian persons, percent, 2000 (a) 41.6% v. 3.6%
        Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2000 21.4% v. 2.4%
        Language other than English spoken at home,
        pct age 5+, 2000 26.6% v. 17.9%
        Bachelor's degree or higher, pct of persons
        age 25+, 2000 26.2% v. 24.4%
        Mean travel time to work (minutes), workers
        age 16+, 2000 (my guess is it's much worse now) 26.1 v. 25.5

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; August 11, 2005, 12:12 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Of all the Hawai'i factoids, I find the following the most interesting:
          HI US
          Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2000 21.4% 2.4%
          21.4% of Hawai'i people are mixed, compared with 2.4% of all Americans? Now that's an interesting statistic. That's all about why I like my baby names thread; it shows the amount of intermarriage that's happening here in the islands.

Comment

The one that scares me the most is the number of people 65+ in Hawai'i. With the cost of living as high as it is, how do those people afford to live? Probably by living with their kids, which is a very Asian thing to do, but anathema to most Americans. According to some people in public health, Hawai'i will soon have the oldest population in the country, and there aren't enough services to go around to help the elderly now. What's it gonna be like in 5 or 10 years?

Within the last couple of weeks, at least 3 islanders (2 on Oahu and 1 on Lanai) who had dementia or Alzheimers wandered off and died. There are so many families who are stressed by elders in this condition right now and they have no place to help them.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; August 11, 2005, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Another round of stats, this time from the UH which was commissioned by Aloha United Way to do a study of the quality of life of Hawai'i residents.

This study is more "personal" to Hawai'i residents than the Census stuff because it measures things like health status, and does it by County. The one stat that I thought was most interesting was this one: "The state also has more cars and trucks than people to drive them, with an average of 1.2 registered vehicles for every licensed driver..." I guess this means that there are numerous people who use one car for "work" and the "other" car for holoholo!

Miulang

Comment

The one that scares me the most is the number of people 65+ in Hawai'i. With the cost of living as high as it is, how do those people afford to live?
                Miulang
                Isn't it possible too, aside from elders living with their families, that a good percentage of those peeps are rich haoles from the mainland who have chosen to retire in Hawai‘i? I have talked with several of these peeps during the last week... (don't even get me started!)
                Aloha,
                Mokihana

Comment

Another round of stats, this time from the UH which was commissioned by Aloha United Way to do a study of the quality of life of Hawai'i residents.

This study is more "personal" to Hawai'i residents than the Census stuff because it measures things like health status, and does it by County. The one stat that I thought was most interesting was this one: "The state also has more cars and trucks than people to drive them, with an average of 1.2 registered vehicles for every licensed driver..." I guess this means that there are numerous people who use one car for "work" and the "other" car for holoholo!

Miulang
                  Do you think they are counting only licensed cars or are including the ones being used as flower pots in people's yards? And are those holoholo cars vans?

Comment

What's really ironic is the public policy wonks are all saying that the government needs to provide more opportunities for the minority-majority population so they can better compete in the world's economy.

"Public policy analysts said these states and the country as a whole need to bring minority education and professional achievement to the levels of whites. Otherwise, these areas risk becoming poorer and less competitive in the world market....

William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., said bringing minorities' education and salary levels in line with whites should be a top priority and needs federal support...."

Miulang
                    I see two distinct issues that deserve separate thread discussions:
                    1)What "Asian" means
                    2)The KS ruling

What is the point of this thread, so I know from which perspective to reply?

pax

Comment

Interesting report released by KSBE that states the population of people with kanaka maoli pedigree might double by 2050.

"..."Based on past data points and current trends, these forecasts point out that from what we know and what we've seen, the Native Hawaiian population is not expected to decline, but is, in fact, expected to increase," said Nolan Malone, the author of the study titled Laupa'i Kanaka, Native Hawaiian Population Forecasts for 2000 to 2050.

Statewide, the number of Native Hawaiians will rise from 239,655 in 2000 to 536,947 in 2050, the study said. Across the nation, Malone said, the number of Native Hawaiians will rise from 401,162 to 987,602. That means the larger increase will be on the Mainland, where the number would go from 161,507 to 450,655, a near tripling, the study said...."

My only question about the stats is, are they counting everyone with any kanaka maoli blood quantum in the rates, because I can't imagine many pure kanaka maoli families still being out there. It is exciting to know, though, that if all of this population learns about its heritage and history, maybe someday down the road they can exert more pressure on government to help them gain parity with everyone else.

Miulang

Comment

My only question about the stats is, are they counting everyone with any kanaka maoli blood quantum in the rates, because I can't imagine many pure kanaka maoli families still being out there. It is exciting to know, though, that if all of this population learns about its heritage and history, maybe someday down the road they can exert more pressure on government to help them gain parity with everyone else.

Miulang
                        Native Hawaiian is defined in the study as any person who has a drop of Hawaiian blood.
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

I have a question. Can a person be a native Hawaiian but not be a native of Hawaii? I ask because I'm sure a person can be a native of Hawaii but not be a native Hawaiian.

Comment

sure
                            native of Hawaii means, of course, born here.
                            (which of course, could be any person of any race)
                            native Hawaiian would be someone with Hawaiian koko, and born here.
                            non native Hawaiian: Someone with Hawaiian blood but not born or raised here.
                            Last edited by kimo55; September 27, 2005, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani
                              I have a question. Can a person be a native Hawaiian but not be a native of Hawaii? I ask because I'm sure a person can be a native of Hawaii but not be a native Hawaiian.
                              Yes.

Being a native Hawaiian is an ethnic classification. It means that you're a descendant of those Polynesian peoples who colonized the Hawaiian Islands pre-1778.

Being a "native of Hawai‘i" describes your personal history: you've been born and raised in the Hawaiian Islands. For example, I am a native of Hawai‘i but I am not and never will be a native Hawaiian.

There are some people whose native Hawaiian ancestors left Hawai‘i and moved elsewhere... say, Las Vegas. They're native Hawaiian by blood, but they're natives of Nevada by the circumstances of their birth.

Comment

Working...
                              X