The Best Chow Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Chow Fun

I have had all kinds chow fun and everyone makes it a little different. My favorite is the kind I used to get at the County Fair on Maui in the cone cups. I dunno what group made it though. And my other favorite is the kind at Cupies.

Anyone have a good recipe for chow fun like the cupies one or the county fair one if you know which one I mean?
    Haolewaiian Girl
    >~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~<

Re: The Best Chow Fun

Originally posted by HaolewaiianGirl
    I have had all kinds chow fun and everyone makes it a little different. My favorite is the kind I used to get at the County Fair on Maui in the cone cups. I dunno what group made it though. And my other favorite is the kind at Cupies.

Anyone have a good recipe for chow fun like the cupies one or the county fair one if you know which one I mean?
    Aha! You one Maui girl, too (me too!). I know what you mean about da chow fun from the County Fair. Cupie's has a new owner (my bro was classmates with the former owner) but the grinds just as onolicious now as before. You remember the flying saucer sandwiches and the pronto pups too? You know who else used to make ono kine chow fun? Wailuku Hongwanji. Every year at obon time, we'd go to watch the dancers and of course get chow fun!

Maybe Oggboy can find a recipe for chow fun that he can share with us. He's on Maui and works for Ruby's Diner in Kahului.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, I always remember all the best grindz.

haha! Oh my gosh! I knew! About Cupies having new management! That's so funny. I've been living on the mainland for 5 years. Whenever we come home and anybody asks what we wanna do when we get off the plane, we always ask to go Cupies. But last time, a few months ago, we went and the chow fun was different! I could tell by the taste they changed management or something. I mean, was good still, but not the same. The old way was my favorite.

Yeah, if you would ask, I'd be sooooo happy! That old chow fun was the best!
      Haolewaiian Girl
      >~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~<

Comment

Here is a chow fun recipe from "Our Favorite Recipes" by the Maui County UE Club. That group is the one that published about 6 different cookbooks over the years. This one came from their first (yellow cover) cookbook. I think it's the closest to what the Maui County Fair chow fun was like. As I recall, that chow fun didn't use char sui, which is what's called for in most chow fun recipes I've seen.

3/4 lb. pork

Seasoning for pork:
        1 small slice ginger, crushed
        1 tsp. salt
        1 Tb. shoyu
        1/2 tsp. sugar

Seasoning for chow fun:
        1 slice ginger, crushed
        1 tsp. salt
        1 tsp sugar
        2 Tb. shoyu
        1/4 tsp. aji-no-moto (optional)
        dash of pepper

Chow fun ingredients:

1 Tb. oil
        2 rolls look fun
        1 c. finely sliced string beans
        1 c. finely sliced celery
        1 10-oz pkg beansprouts, rinsed
        1 c. green onion, sliced in 1" pieces
        2 Tb. toasted sesame seeds

Slice pork and marinate with seasoning. Let stand 15 minutes, then saute in oil until brown. Add look fun which has been sliced into 1/4" wide strips. Add seasoning and vegetables and stir. Fry until done. Add sesame seeds. Garnish with finely sliced ham and egg strips. Top with Chinese parsley. Serves 6.

Now when I make chow fun, I add about 1 tsp oyster sauce to taste for the seasoning, because I don't use MSG in anything. And I omit the celery, but do add finely julienned carrots for color. I also omit the sesame seeds and the ham and egg strips and Chinese parsley. Still comes out onolicious.

And since we were talking about the County Fair (will be next month), here's a recipe for Pronto Pups. You can use Bisquik mix, but I like making stuff from scratch whenever possible. This recipe also came from the Maui County UE Club:

1-1/2 c. unsifted all purpose flour
        2 tsp. double acting baking powder
        3 Tb. sugar
        1 egg
        1 tsp. salt
        water

Combine all the ingredients and add enough water to make a soft dough (not runny like for pancakes). Put barbecue sticks in canned Vienna sausages or hot dogs and dip in dough and fry in deep fat until slightly brown.

Miulang

P.S. Writing down these recipes reminded me that I was getting hungry, so I'm going to make pork adobo tonight!
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

P.S. Writing down these recipes reminded me that I was getting hungry, so I'm going to make pork adobo tonight!
          Oh, how come? Panzo was good boy today?

I think da next time I fly back home, one of da first places I going grind is Libby Manapua on Kalihi St. for their chow fun, half moons and pepeiao...anden I going mosey on down to Young's Fishmarket on Kalani St. for their ono poke, hot laulaus and pasteles...with one big bowl poi added in to induce da final stages of Hawaiian Paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
            Oh, how come? Panzo was good boy today?

I think da next time I fly back home, one of da first places I going grind is Libby Manapua on Kalihi St. for their chow fun, half moons and pepeiao...anden I going mosey on down to Young's Fishmarket on Kalani St. for their ono poke, hot laulaus and pasteles...with one big bowl poi added in to induce da final stages of Hawaiian Paralysis.
            No, I making adobo tonight because Safeway had one sale on boneless pork spareribs (buy one package and get one free) and I already made sweet sour spareribs da odda night, das why I making adobo tonight.

If I get time, I going make some manapua foa bring down to you and Moki when we see you in Kalama Friday for da John Keawe concert. She neva PM me yet about where we going meet for grind before da concert, though.

Miulang

Comment

No, I making adobo tonight because Safeway had one sale on boneless pork spareribs (buy one package and get one free) and I already made sweet sour spareribs da odda night, das why I making adobo tonight.

If I get time, I going make some manapua foa bring down to you and Moki when we see you in Kalama Friday for da John Keawe concert. She neva PM me yet about where we going meet for grind before da concert, though.
              Why you always gotta do that to me? Sweet-sour spareribs is one of my weaknesses. Brings back sweet-sour memories of grinding dem ono spareribs covered in sweet-sour gravy on a bed of shredded cabbage over rice kine plate lunches from da lunchwagon down Kewalo Basin while sitting ontop da telephone pole logs and watching all da fishies swim around in da watah.

I hope eedah you guys or Moki going know your way around Kalama because I nevah been there before and it might turn into one case of da blind leading da blind leading da blind.

Comment

Brings back sweet-sour memories of grinding dem ono spareribs covered in sweet-sour gravy on a bed of shredded cabbage over rice kine plate lunches from da lunchwagon down Kewalo Basin while sitting ontop da telephone pole logs and watching all da fishies swim around in da watah.
                Eh lurkah, sorry eh brah... but dat one went close down. One nadda one bites da dust.

Comment

I hope eedah you guys or Moki going know your way around Kalama because I nevah been there before and it might turn into one case of da blind leading da blind leading da blind.
                  Kalama easy to get around in...get one main street, and dat's about all! (we stopped there last 4th of July weekend and had lilikoi milkshakes at one of da restaurants in town). Da guys at Auntie Gloria's said wen I wen go buy my concert tickets dat da high school up da hill...and Wiliama said going get plenty signs and peeps directing traffic lidat. We staying ovanight at da Kalama River Inn because I no like drive all da way back to Seattle afta da concert. Dis way too can stick around Sat. morning for da ho'olaulea and canoe races before gotta hele back to da big city for da Keali'i Reichel concert Sat. night.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

One nadda one bites da dust.
                    Like sands through the hourglass...so go the places in my memory...

Anybody else out there remember da old Japanee lady that used to sell boiled peanuts while sitting outside da Honolulu "Termite Palace" Stadium on S. King St. before it all turned into Stadium Park?

We staying ovanight at da Kalama River Inn because I no like drive all da way back to Seattle afta da concert. Dis way too can stick around Sat. morning for da ho'olaulea and canoe races before gotta hele back to da big city for da Keali'i Reichel concert Sat. night.
                    I was telling Panzo that also on Saturday get da thing down at da Beaverton Uwajimaya's with several hula halau performing and music with Braddah Waltah Aipolani. But I guess that Uwaji's not going be much of one draw for you guys since you get your Uwaji's in Seattle. How spoiled can you get?

Comment

I was telling Panzo that also on Saturday get da thing down at da Beaverton Uwajimaya's with several hula halau performing and music with Braddah Waltah Aipolani. But I guess that Uwaji's not going be much of one draw for you guys since you get your Uwaji's in Seattle. How spoiled can you get?
                      Yeah, but da Beaverton Uwajimaya is da oni one dat get dakine Hawaiian festival. I dunno why...maybe da manager of da Beaverton Uwaji is one local. Da main store in da ID oni get stuff like "Philippine Week" and regular Japanese events, but no moa Hawaiian kine program. We can buy fresh pork and chicken laulau's ($3 apiece) and get fresh poi, but no moa dakine laulau plates like in Beaverton And I gotta make my own lomi salmon because we no moa ready made lomi at da Seattle Uwajimaya. We DO have haupia cake, dobash cake, lilikoi cake, guava cake, and chantilly cake from Kauai Bakery though, and Beaverton probably doesn't (neener neener).

Miulang

Comment

We DO have haupia cake, dobash cake, lilikoi cake, guava cake, and chantilly cake from Kauai Bakery though, and Beaverton probably doesn't (neener neener).
                        What does this have to do with "The Best Chow Fun"? Try stay on topic sometimes.

I've never been to Grace's Inn on S. Beretania. Anybody know how da kaukau tastes over there and how their chow fun is?

Comment

Working...
                        X