Moving away from the homeland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving away from the homeland

It's really sad when you see the outmigration of people whose heritage is tied to their homeland. Some would say, "well, if you can't afford to live here, leave". Apparently that's what a number of kanaka maoli and Pacific Islanders are doing.

"...The number of Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders living in Hawai'i declined during the past four years even as all other race categories increased, according to estimates released yesterday by the U.S. Census Bureau.

The Census Bureau estimated that on July 1, 2004, there were 279,651 people who could consider themselves Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders. That was down 1.3 percent from the 283,430 in the category on April 1, 2000...."

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Moving away from the homeland

Miulang... you left Hawaii too . Is there anyway you would return? I would like all of the Kamaaina to return.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
      Miulang... you left Hawaii too . Is there anyway you would return? I would like all of the Kamaaina to return.
      Oh yeah, I probably will, within the next 5 years or so...if there's anything left to return to. If I come back, you can bet I'll be sitting in on County Council meetings, etc. and be very active in my community. I don't want Hawai'i to become even more what the Mainland has become...and I'll do my little bit to try to ensure that that doesn't happen.

My heart really grieves for all the things the locals have lost since I left the 'aina. Us expats on the Mainland try to preserve and practice the Aloha spirit up here. We are all one extended ohana bound together by an electronic lei of aloha for the 'aina and its people. Whenever we hear of another family owned business closing shop because of economic pressure, or we hear of another island landmark that has been torn down to make way for "progress", that's when we all really think about heading for home.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Oh yeah, I probably will, within the next 5 years or so...if there's anything left to return to. If I come back, you can bet I'll be sitting in on County Council meetings, etc. and be very active in my community. I don't want Hawai'i to become even more what the Mainland has become...and I'll do my little bit to try to ensure that that doesn't happen.

My heart really grieves for all the things the locals have lost since I left the 'aina. Us expats on the Mainland try to preserve and practice the Aloha spirit up here. We are all one extended ohana bound together by an electronic lei of aloha for the 'aina and its people. Whenever we hear of another family owned business closing shop because of economic pressure, or we hear of another island landmark that has been torn down to make way for "progress", that's when we all really think about heading for home.

Miulang
        I know dat deah is no way dat I can evah return home permanently. Dis grieves me no end. So I stay one active part of da electronic lei of aloha dat u talk about, Miulang, an hope dat through dat I will be able to stay connected to da ‘āina dat I love so much.
        Aloha,
        Mokihana

Comment

Working...
        X