Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Hacks Allow OS X on PCs

Source

"There is nothing at all that prevents the version of Mac OS X that runs on the developer transition machines from running on any PC with compatible components," Jeff Harrell writes for The Shape of Days. "The Intel-based Power Macintoshes that Apple is showing at their developer conference are based on an Intel motherboard, generic Intel graphics and off-the-shelf Pentium 4 CPUs... I estimate that we’re down to a matter of hours before Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hardware is available for download on Internet software piracy sites and peer-to-peer piracy networks. (Update: A reader who for obvious reasons wishes to remain anonymous just demonstrated to me that the software is, in fact, already available on Internet software piracy sites.) If I can think through this stuff, Apple’s management can think through this stuff. This is the most awe-inspiring stealth marketing move I’ve ever seen."

"According to reports, Apple’s bundled iLife applications, major selling points for the Mac operating system, are already Intel-native and run at full speed... Given Apple’s experiences with software piracy, particularly the rampant software piracy that spread developer builds of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger all over the Internet this past spring, Apple’s management from the top down knows full well that this developer preview will be in the hands of every kid with a cable modem within days of its release. Most of them will be able to install it on their own computers and run it and the full suite of iLife ’05 applications at full speed, and run most existing Mac software in translation. As a result, Apple will give thousands, possibly millions, of people a taste of Mac OS X running full speed on their own PCs. Apple’s giving their potential future customers a free taste, that’s what they’re doing. It’s a try-before-you-buy deal," Harrell writes.

I guess someone (or people) has to try it. If this is available to other x86 computers, then I'll buy it.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Apple Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hits piracy sites

Don't get your hopes up...every supposed "leak" of the Intel 10.4.1 has been shown to be a fake.

Comment

Originally posted by melorama
      Don't get your hopes up...every supposed "leak" of the Intel 10.4.1 has been shown to be a fake.
      There was a great story about some guy who loaded it, and after the reboot got an eyefull of the goatse.cx guy.
      I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

So in other words, he tried to use a security hole to put an Apple OS into his PC, and instead got shown another hole big enough to put an apple into?

Comment

Well, apple now needs to compete with Windows, and Linux and linspire, so they'll need to get a port done sooner or later.

And since they'll be on a x86 platform now, will they need a firewall and antivirus scanner?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
            Well, apple now needs to compete with Windows, and Linux and linspire, so they'll need to get a port done sooner or later.

And since they'll be on a x86 platform now, will they need a firewall and antivirus scanner?
            The hardware architecture has nothing at all to do with the need for a firewall, or a virus scanner (eg: linux and *bsd also run on x86). It's still going to run OSX. Where they may start to run into problems is if they start to have native support for windows applications.

Comment

Originally posted by kamapuaa
              The hardware architecture has nothing at all to do with the need for a firewall, or a virus scanner (eg: linux and *bsd also run on x86). It's still going to run OSX. Where they may start to run into problems is if they start to have native support for windows applications.

thanks for vocalising that. I knew vaguely this was the case but didn't quite know how to frame it.
              But that's it!

Comment

looks like someone is running the Mac OS X in VMware

Comment

dontcha jus love VMware??!!
                  Reggie aka pinakboy
                  Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                  Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                  Recipe Tube TV!
                  Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Originally posted by pinakboy
                    dontcha jus love VMware??!!
                    Yep. I guess that's why our school uses it instead of recycling old machines.

Comment

Mac Hacks Allow OS X on PCs
                      "Imagine if your next Mac cost you only $300, and ran faster than any G4 or G5 you've ever used."

Comment

Re: Mac Hacks Allow OS X on PCs

Originally posted by lurkah
                        "Imagine if your next Mac cost you only $300, and ran faster than any G4 or G5 you've ever used."
                        Another reason why Apple should stop trying to protect its OS and just let any x86 owners to buy it.

1) More money for them because people will be buying another OS that will compete w/ Windows (and possibly, they'll buy software, iPods, and other products from the store)
                        2) Less pirated software being distributed because who'd want to download a whole DVD?
                        3) Apple can lay the smackdown on MS and show how a real OS can be!

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                          Another reason why Apple should stop trying to protect its OS and just let any x86 owners to buy it.

1) More money for them because people will be buying another OS that will compete w/ Windows (and possibly, they'll buy software, iPods, and other products from the store)
                          2) Less pirated software being distributed because who'd want to download a whole DVD?
                          3) Apple can lay the smackdown on MS and show how a real OS can be!
                          1. Historically, apple has been a hardware manufacturer. There was a bried period when they allowed clone 68040 systems to be built (I think it was umax and power computing). The steve put an end to that pretty fast.

The reason why macos "just works" is that it's developed for a very small subset of parts. This reduces their testing and QA workload significantly. Imagine the hell of non-tested 3rd party drivers that would result from people trying to run osx on generic whitebox PCs. Also, what would they do about support? They certainly don't have the infrastructure in place to handle the volume of service requests that would stem from people trying to get their old EISA Sound Blaster 16 cards to work with iTunes.

2. Have you heard of bittorrent?

3. *sigh*

Just my $0.02.

Comment

2. Have you heard of bittorrent?
                            Yes I have, and it took me way too long to download something (plus, I got a bad night's sleep because my computer was on)
                            3. *sigh*
                            Just my $0.02.
                            Linux (or any of MS's competitors) doesn't have the "mainstream" feel or hardware compatibility for most hardware/software yet, even though its open source. Apple's Mac OS is already established as an alternative to Windows, but until now, you needed to buy a whole new computer if you're coming from a PC. With the availability of Mac OS X for the PC, Apple will probably use its resources and probably expand their marketshare to an even bigger audience, and hopefully put the strain on MS to create better products.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                              Yes I have, and it took me way too long to download something (plus, I got a bad night's sleep because my computer was on)

Linux (or any of MS's competitors) doesn't have the "mainstream" feel or hardware compatibility for most hardware/software yet, even though its open source. Apple's Mac OS is already established as an alternative to Windows, but until now, you needed to buy a whole new computer if you're coming from a PC. With the availability of Mac OS X for the PC, Apple will probably use its resources and probably expand their marketshare to an even bigger audience, and hopefully put the strain on MS to create better products.
                              Apple has put to much time and money into their R & D to let their software be hacked for beige boxes. Besides, why not just go out and buy a Mac, it's completely different experience from Windows. I've been on Macs all my computing life, and I think I know a little the way Steven Jobs thinks. I just don't think he wil allow it. When Jobs came back to Apple, one of the first things he did was stop the Mac clones. This is the way Apple has thought from the very start of their conception Notice how all the sites that said they Hacked OSX are now gone, or down? Perhaps Apple already reemed these guys a new you know what with their Lawyers!?

Comment

Working...
                              X