Old Bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Bottles

My late husband worked in the construction business. His job was going underground doing pipe work. On the many jobs he had, he collected an assortment of soda bottles, milk bottles, medicine bottles, etc. I once tried to price them by using a Hawaiian Collection Bottle information book.

I have displayed them on the last shelf in my kitchen area since he passed on. My kids keep telling me not to give them away or sell it. I don't want to sell them but am interested in their value.

Does anyone know of any other book out there that I can purchase or someone I can pay to appraise them.

Mahalo,
    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Old Bottles

there is a bottle collector's club here in town. No current book as of yet. just old ones.
    Go see metcalf at hawaii stamp and coin bishop st. he knows about bottles. corner hotel and bishop i think. good luck.

Comment

and try this

http://tinyurl.com/dxxmf

where you may view this info:

Hawaii Historical Bottle Collector's Club
      P.O. Box 90456
      Honolulu, Hawaii 96835
      or 2124 S. Beretania St., Honolulu, HI 96826
      Meeting Place: McCulley-Moiliili Public Library, 2211 S. King Street, Honolulu
      Second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m.
      Last edited by kimo55; August 14, 2005, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        there is a bottle collector's club here in town. No current book as of yet. just old ones.
        Go see metcalf at hawaii stamp and coin bishop st. he knows about bottles. corner hotel and bishop i think. good luck.
        Thanks Kimo. I'll take pictures of some. Especially the Milk bottles. I got one soda bottle clear bluish in color that someone wanted to buy from me $200.00. I also have stamps too which my husband found. We put them in catagories. Hawaiian and Americana.

I will definitely go see metcalf sometime this week!

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          Thanks Kimo. I'll take pictures of some. Especially the Milk bottles. I got one soda bottle clear bluish in color that someone wanted to buy from me $200.00. I also have stamps too which my husband found. We put them in catagories. Hawaiian and Americana.

I will definitely go see metcalf sometime this week!

Lynn
          Don Metcalf. Nice fella.
          respected Hawaiiana-in-general appraiser.
          he and his blonde girlfriend/wife run da shop.
          (just so you know who yer talking with)
          She knows alot too.

Comment

Hello,
            Can you post the pics on here? I could you an idea of what they're worth as I collect them.

Comment

Photo 1
              Photo 2
              Photo 3
              Photo 4
              Photo 5
              Photo 6
              Photo 7
              Photo 8
              Photo 9
              Photo 10
              Photo 11
              Photo 12
              Photo 13

I'll appreciate it. If you need close-ups on any of um' ...let me know. I also have stamps and coins too.

Auntie Lynn

10:00 p.m. All pau. Posted.
              Last edited by 1stwahine; December 29, 2005, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Howzit Auntie:

That's quite an assortment of bottles your husband happened to find during his labors in construction. I've never had any luck, in terms of finding complete, undamaged bottles, at any time, during my lifetime vocation of being a plowboy. I've found plenty of broken glass, though. I know some the glass I've uncovered were once bottles; I've seen pieces of the Pepsi bottles you've highlighted in one of your pictures online, after I had plowed out some pasture. And I've plowed up plenty of green glass from the old 6.5 oz. Coca-Cola bottles.

About the only things of value I've ever uncovered while plowing was a rusted canister of mostly old pennies. There were around $5's worth of pennies, from the 1920s to 1940s with a few dateless Standing Liberty Quarters and Winged Liberty Dimes thrown in. All told, they had no value, numismatically anyway...just their face value and small premium for the value of the silver in the few silver coins. Many of the coins were in rough, corroded condition.

The only thing I ever found of any collectible value while farming was an old silver 1883 quarter issued by the Kingdom of Hawai'i. The coin is in decent shape. It is not a particuarly rare coin, at least I am told by those who are knowledgable about Hawaiian coinage (which I am not), but it was a neat find all the same.

Comment

Aloha Surfingfarmboy! I never really had an appreciation for these bottles! After taking the pictures and seeing it from another perpective...my feelings have changed. I'm going to take it all down and give it the cleaning it deserves. What a fool I've been. Even if it may not be worth anything, my husband found it with his sweat and interest at heart. My children were right. They are treasures to be kept in our family forever!

Auntie Lynn
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; December 30, 2005, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine

Aloha Surfingfarmboy! I never really had an appreciation for these bottles! After taking the pictures and seeing it from another perpective...my feelings have changed. I'm going to take it all down and give it the cleaning it deserves. What a fool I've been. Even if it may not be worth anything, my husband found it with his sweat and interest at heart. My children were right. They are treasures to be kept in our family forever!
                    Spoken like a true lady of leisure.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                      Spoken like a true lady of leisure.
                      ...this is only the start!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Mahi'ai,

Check out the prices for Hawaiian quarters on eBay.

http://search.ebay.com/hawaii-1883

I have a couple of them, myself. Also have couple dimes, 50-cent piece.

Aloha,

Blaine
                        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                        X