This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot Culture: Making Friends in Hawaii

I have a somewhat "sensitive" question. Please dont give me stink eye for asking this-i am not being judgemental, just wanting to hear what yall have to say about this "issue". My sister who has been a resident on Kauai for 18 years (she's 37) tells me that if you dont smoke pakalolo you will find that you are left with a very small percentage of the population who you would feel comfortable getting to be closely acquainted with as friends, because such a majority do smoke pakalolo. (My sister doesnt partake in pakalolo. She does have a few very good friends, but not many, unlike me who has a big social circle where I live here on the mainland. Here, I dont know of a single person who does smoke pot, but then again, most of the people I know are government employees, mostly nurses, or soldiers and their wives..and of course we dont live in a place where pot is a big crop.
    I am not a "prude" or "bible-thumper" or a big health nut. I like to drink socially, go to bars, and do smoke cigarettes (but trying to quit before I get out there cuz it's so anti-smoking everywhere in Hawaii compared to here in the "tobacco farming" country of the South). But I dont do drugs. Dont like them and plus I couldnt do them anyway-I am an RN and wouldnt risk my license to practice-nursing is how I make a living and my career is very important to me. I dont look down on the choices others make and am not judgemental, but I personally just wouldnt feel comfortable if I were at someones house and they were smoking pakalolo. I am thinking (I may be wrong), but being in the profession I am in, I might find a different set of "social circles" than my sister finds herself in-because I would be working with and networking with medical professionals....
    So......my question is, will I really be very outcast because I dont smoke pot or what? I am a friendly warm happy person, and though I will be stoked to be finally living near my sister and family, I hope that I will find some friends too!
    Mahalo for any opinions/advice/feedback! And I hope I aint getting any long distance stink eye ha ha, cuz sometimes ya know when you try to express yourself over the internet, it can come out sounding different!

Re: About making friends in Hawaii

i dont see why anyone would put you as an outcast just cuz you dont smoke herb. if your a sweet warm and loving person , you should get along just fine with the pakalolo people cuz they usually are that way too. i think
    Ebb And Flow

Comment

Man I love grass,too bad I end up needing a bunch of meth/coke to go with it after awhile.Eight years clean/sober now though and know for a fact that there are plenty of sober people in HI

Comment

Originally posted by kauaitita
        So......my question is, will I really be very outcast because I dont smoke pot or what? I am a friendly warm happy person, and though I will be stoked to be finally living near my sister and family, I hope that I will find some friends too!
        You want people who generally smoke to be at ease with you and at the same time say that you'd be uncomfortable in the house of a pot smoker. Lighten up, we're not recruiting. You need to see for yourself that someone can be solid and smoke.
        Last edited by sinjin; August 15, 2005, 12:04 PM.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I'm stunned. All these years and I never realized that those Kaua'i people are all a bunch of potheads.

Comment

I don't believe it! I have family there. I went to summers on Maui and Kauai...never seen anybody smoke in front of me! Home is Oahu...seen and did some smoking too. Next month, four years clean!

It's up to you whether or not you want to be associated with the likes of the "crowd." See for yourself, judge for what you see of your own eyes and ears. Social crowds and choosing one's friends are far less then the enticing of drugs to you from them.

Don't fret. You neva come yet. Above all, stay clean!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

hey or just don't inhale,it works for presidents! He couldn't say if it twernt true cough cough.

Comment

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT NOT ALL PEOPLE FROM KAUAI SMOKE THE CALI, SENSI, OR AS WE SAY IN HAWAII NEI PAKALOLO. I FOR ONE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO MAKE ALOT OF FRIENDS, AND YES MAJORITY OF THEM DO SMOKE WEED. I MYSELF AM STRONGER THAN THAT AND KEEP MY SENSES ABOUT ME AS I USE TO SMOKE GANJA AS A TEEN AND MOST OF MY ADULT LIFE. SO THERE IS A CRAVE FOR THE SMELL OF IT BUT I KEEP PUSHING FOR A CLEANER LIFE. WEED HAS DONE ALOT OF GOOD FOR ME IN THE PAST. THAT WAS THEN AND THIS IS NOW, I HAVE ENJOED WATCHING THE SILLY THINS THAT HAVE BEEN DONE BY MY FRINDS AND LAUGH ALONG WITH THEM. ON A SERIOUS NOTE, I HAVE ONE FRIEND WHO HAS CANCER FOR BOUT A YEAR AND IS CURRENTLY DOING VERY WELL AND MANAGING TO DO SO WITH THE USE OF SMOKING KAUAI'S FINEST KRYP. IT HAS SLOWED THE CANCER DOWN TREMENDOUSLY.SO THERE ARE GOOD TIMES AND GOOD PEOPLE HERE ON THE GARDEN ISLE. POINT IS: ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS JUST BE YOURSELF AND MOST OF ALL RESPECT DA LOCALS.... PEACE, LOVE AND JAH BLESS. AAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHAAAAAAZZ ZZ!!!
                Last edited by braddah_eds; August 5, 2006, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by braddah_eds
                  I WOULD LIKE TO SAY[...]
                  With all due respect, please don't 'say' it in all caps. Pretty puh-leeeze! So much harder to read. Thank you, mahaloz and all that.

Comment

MANAGING TO DO SO WITH THE USE OF SMOKING KAUAI'S FINEST KRYP. IT HAS SLOWED THE CANCER DOWN TREMENDOUSLY
                    I don't think it slows cancer down

How ever it can help a person recover and ease the pain from Chemotherapy, so I do see its medicinal purposes.

However, friends are friends for what they inspire you to become! If you have friends that inspire you to become a pothead...then I'd re-evaluate those friendships.

Comment

yea. no caps. against all kine rules.
                      but i will add;
                      pot helps aleviate asthma.
                      (stopped mine, decades ago.)
                      helps cure cataracts.
                      and helps stop pain casued by cancer I hear.

Comment

(stopped mine, decades ago.)
                        helps cure cataracts.
                        and helps stop pain casued by cancer I hear.
                        and makes people type sentences that you almost have to be high to read!
                        j/k

Comment

thats frum werking all nite on videos till 3 ayem and waking up with no cough ee yet.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                            I don't think it slows cancer down

How ever it can help a person recover and ease the pain from Chemotherapy, so I do see its medicinal purposes.
                            Some great side effects of marijuana for cancer patients are that it reduces nausea and increases appetite.

There is a derivative of marijuana that is prescribed for those symptoms called "Marinol." Controlled substance.

I have given it to both AIDS and cancer patients. IME, I've not seen it do wonders for either nausea or appetite.

Some patients have shared with me that pakalolo works much better for them. I'm all for that.
                            Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; August 5, 2006, 10:49 AM. Reason: grammar and usage errors...;-D

Comment

I have given it to both AIDS and cancer patients
                              Then as someone with obvious medical experience...

Do you have any facts that shows that it can "slow cancer down?"

Just curious... I'm all for medicinal use! And hey... I'd rather be a passenger in a car that someone was driving "Stoned" from Pakalolo then someone who has had 5 cups of coffee!

Comment

Working...
                              X