X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing with Aloha

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...569705-3783136

Aloha everyone,

Has anyone read this book? I was in Borders this weekend and I saw it on the shelf. My boss' birthday is this week, and she is all about (((personal empowerment))) which is kinda cool sometimes, and a bit much at other times, but that is another post...

pax

Re: Managing with Aloha

wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
      I am guessing you and I had the same first reaction (I for one choke whenever I hear "aloha spirit" this and "aloha spirit" that).

But my boss loves self-help stuff, talks it and LIVES it. Sometimes, its a great aspect of her personality and managing style and it is worth being around. Other times, its a bit too intense for me. I ~hate~ self-help books/movement/speeches, etc.

But if anybody HAS read it and thinks its a good fit for someone who greatly enjoys that sort of thing, I would appreciate hearing so.

pax

Comment

Here's Rosa Say's website. There's even a blog.

I'm skeptical of books like these, too. Seems the only other people who love them are those that believe in management as a religion. (One of those categories of books where most of the reviews are by authors of simiar books!)

Most consultants in this space are basically selling common sense in repackaged form. Sometimes the lightbulbs go off, I suppose, but most of the time, after the giddy haze fades, you find you didn't hear anything you haven't heard before.

At least she notes she was born and raised here. Otherwise I would've just figured this was "Who Moved My Cheese?" with some alohawear thrown in for color.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Here's Rosa Say's website. There's even a blog.

I'm skeptical of books like these, too. Seems the only other people who love them are those that believe in management as a religion. (One of those categories of books where most of the reviews are by authors of simiar books!)

Most consultants in this space are basically selling common sense in repackaged form. Sometimes the lightbulbs go off, I suppose, but most of the time, after the giddy haze fades, you find you didn't hear anything you haven't heard before.

At least she notes she was born and raised here. Otherwise I would've just figured this was "Who Moved My Cheese?" with some alohawear thrown in for color.
          Mahalo for the links! Again, I can take or leave that stuff, and even though I am a wahine, I lack whatever chromosome it is that gets in touch with my inner-Oprah. But the boss? She is all about the cheese maintenance, laws of leadership, Covey planners, you name it.

pax

Comment

In case it matters to anyone, Rosa Say is State Senator Calvin Say's sister-in-law.

Comment

Aloha mai kakou,

Mahalo for clicking in to my website and my blog , and giving me the benefit of the doubt. Pzarquon, thank you for sharing the links.

I do understand some of your reluctance … I wrote MWA so that we here in Hawaii will have a business book we can use in the context of our own culture and challenges. I’m a management coach, and plain and simple, I want managers to get better. If they’re already good, I want them to aspire to being great. Pua‘i Mana‘o, I’m very glad to hear your boss is trying to do just that.

May I offer all of you another link? I have a free downloadable manifesto available on ChangeThis.com which gives an overview of MWA in 28 pages. Perhaps it will answer some of your questions on why I wrote it, while giving you a more comprehensive form than surfing through the many pages of my blog and two websites.

However that said, you are all welcome to join in the discussion at Talking Story or email me directly - do consider it! There is an entire Ho‘ohana Community of MWA readers waiting there to welcome you. This month we are talking about the entrepreneurial mindset .

By the way, I don’t see Calvin as often as I’d like to since we live on two different islands. Glen, do say hello to him for me if you see him. He’s a great guy.
              My aloha to all of you, Rosa

Comment

Originally posted by Rosa Say
                Mahalo for clicking in to my website and my blog , and giving me the benefit of the doubt. Pzarquon, thank you for sharing the links.

Wow! The author herself posts here!! (Glad I didn't dis the book).

So now I am in a quandary: my gut says "buy the book for the boss and print this thread for the personalized factor. BUT, if I do that, then she would know where I cruise on the internet, and what my moniker is.... gyahhh....

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o

So now I am in a quandary: my gut says "buy the book for the boss and print this thread for the personalized factor. BUT, if I do that, then she would know where I cruise on the internet, and what my moniker is.... gyahhh....
                  White-Out would work.

Comment

Until her boss flips the paper over and holds it up to a light, exposing what's underneath the correction fluid.

Comment

I was jussss aboout to say how smart da lurkah was, when I seen dat Joe is waaaay mo' smart.

*sigh*

pax

Comment

I was jussss aboout to say how smart da lurkah was, when I seen dat Joe is waaaay mo' smart.

*sigh*
                        *sigh* Only amateurs would leave any readable textual remnants under the White-Out. I'd obliterate the text in question first before covering it up, thereby saving the niele maha 'oi busybodies from their snoopy selves.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                          *sigh* Only amateurs would leave any readable textual remnants under the White-Out. I'd obliterate the text in question first before covering it up, thereby saving the niele maha 'oi busybodies from their snoopy selves.

I am laughing so hard at thinking about the whole thing, because the freakin' AUTHOR read my post, and I am STILL never going to be able to tell her because doing so would 1)say where I cruise on the net 2)what my nick is, and 3)that I think my boss is on a (((personal empowerment))) trip.

White-out possibilities aside, I. Just. No. Can.

hence da sigh.

pax

Comment

3)that I think my boss is on a (((personal empowerment))) trip.
                            But, is #3 really true? If so, then you might consider that you'd really be doing her a big favor by having her read the entire thread verbatim which would hopefully shock her back into reality and thereby save her from going to eternal anal hell. So, go ahead. I am empowering you to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                              But, is #3 really true? If so, then you might consider that you'd really be doing her a big favor by having her read the entire thread verbatim which would hopefully shock her back into reality and thereby save her from going to eternal anal hell. So, go ahead. I am empowering you to do so.
                              Where is the "two slaps!" icon when you need it?!?

The thing is, this boss sees life waaay more pixelated than I do. If I showed this to her, she would *~feel~* this need to EmPowEr and de>e>pen our reLAtionShiP by processing® further.

I love her, but she can be a tad uh, profound.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X