Jessica's Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessica's Law

I writing this thread to ask for HawaiiThreads.com's support to write Governor Lingle to push for a Jessica's Law in Hawaii. This law would really help the Keiki who become victims of sexual crimes. To do what I did and email Ms. Lingle. Follow the email link. Whenever I hear of crimes against children in News I always wish I could do something... maybe by writing the Governor we can.

Aloha!
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Jessica's Law

Gawd that is a lousy Web design. The entry seems to end in the middle of a sentence, with the remainder of the text impossible to read in that dark pink background.

"If offenders serve less than life, they would be required to wear a global positioning system device after their release so authorities can monitor their whereabouts."

Alrighty, then. "Looks like our child molester is at ... uh, 92 degrees north, 63 east ..." What good would that do, unless you make every kid in the world wear a GPS device, too?

Not saying I'm against the legislation; just wondering what practical application this part of it would have.

Comment

It would allow the police to know when a child predator was anywhere near someplace he's not supposed to be; as in near a playground or school. It would also probably help nail one of these guys sooner if it could be proven via the GPS records that s/he was near the scene of a child molestation/abduction. It would certainly help narrow down the likely suspects to a crime against a child.

Up here, one yuppie community just passed an ordinance that says no registered sex offender can live within 3 miles of a school, which pretty much means nowhere in the city. I don't know if it's constitutional or not, but the City Council passed that law the other day.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

People worry so much about where these guys are, but they aren't thinking at all about the 300 guys who haven't been caught for every one who has. These are the guys living next door to you, who live across the street from your kid's school. I think this type of thing (the GPS tracking, sex-offender registries) gives people a false sense of security. Just because you know where one guy is doesn't mean you know where they all are. Most of them are still out there. Most child molesters haven't been caught and never will be. They haven't been through the criminal-justice system. You don't know where they are.

On that happy note ...

Comment

Blech.

I hate child molesters as much as the next person, but it bothers me that people get all crazy and fuzzy-headed whenever the subject comes up. Why are these particular slimeballs so slimy that they need such an extreme degree of surveillance, compared to, say, angry ex-boyfriends who violate temporary restraining orders? Or rapists who target adults instead of children?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Blech.

I hate child molesters as much as the next person, but it bothers me that people get all crazy and fuzzy-headed whenever the subject comes up. Why are these particular slimeballs so slimy that they need such an extreme degree of surveillance, compared to, say, angry ex-boyfriends who violate temporary restraining orders? Or rapists who target adults instead of children?
            Ask that same question to the guests at the Oahu Correctional Facility and see what kind of response you get about child rapists.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
              Alrighty, then. "Looks like our child molester is at ... uh, 92 degrees north, 63 east ..."
              No such thing as 92 degrees north, it ends at 90, but if they happen to be at 90 degress north, they no bother anybody because that will be at the North Pole.
              Originally posted by MadAzza
              Not saying I'm against the legislation; just wondering what practical application this part of it would have.
              If child molesters are that much of a danger to society why are they released from prison?

Comment

Originally posted by helen

If child molesters are that much of a danger to society why are they released from prison?
                oh, helen, yer asking about the legal system, which has nothing whatever to do with justice and is a can o worms, as a subject and a big mess as an institution.

Comment

Working...
                X