How $25 Million can be a bad thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How $25 Million can be a bad thing

...or 'Why does PLK Air Services Group LLC want to take over the Kona Coffee Industry using state funds?'

The Hawaii legislature passed bill HB1556 that allows PLK Air Services Group LLC to raise $25 million though bonds to create a processing center for Kona Coffee and macnuts on state land near the Kona airport.

Why was this bill passed unopposed?

Why was the Governor's veto screwed up (by accident or on purpose(?)) allowing the bill to pass.

'...This bill seems to allow PLK Air Services to completely take over a
    huge part of the Kona coffee industry ... from people who are
    already doing all of these jobs--processing, roasting, and packaging. Is
    there any precedent for the government to allow such a thing in any other
    industry? We've spoken to people in each of these areas, who were
    completely surprised by this. How could a bill pass without testimony from
    the people who would lose their jobs? However, the paragraph states,
    somehow testimony was given that we are in dire need of this
    processing/roasting/packaging/shipping facility.'

'...These (existing farms and processors) are all people who have poured their hearts, souls, and THEIR OWN money into growing their businesses. We need to let our State Legislature know that they voted to finance a private enterprise to take business from our neighbors, who not only are doing the job but who also helped build the coffee industry in our area. We believe that all of us in the Kona coffee community, and the Hawaii coffee community as a whole, need to to let Governor Lingle know that there is not a pressing need for such a facility in Kona...' Excerpt from a letter to the Kona Coffee Council.

Details

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Re: How $25 Million can be a bad thing

I read your blog, Dave, and I, too, am puzzled how this bill flew under the radar. I tried to Google "PLK Air Services Group" and only came up with a Russian company. However, I did discover who the "2 concerned parties" in the application were:

"Tommy Greenwell reported that he had heard about this the day before and that he understands that it is a joint venture by Al Cam former Manager of Mauna Loa Coffee and Don Perry a farm owner. Further discussions shed no new light on the subject...."

Do you belong to the KCC? Do you know who Al Cam and Don Perry are? Maybe knowing who they are might help uncover the motives of PLK.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Ha. The truth about "PLK Air Services" is coming out now. It's just another way for a middleman to reap some hefty profits off the independent Kona coffee growers and macnut growers who say they don't need a large roasting plant in Hilo.

"...Also this week, one of the original sponsors of the measure backing the project's bonds, state Rep. Josh Green, D-Honokohau-Keauhou, said in an e-mail to coffee executives that he had been asked to support the bill only because it would "support Kona businesses."

"I now realize the intent of the bill was misrepresented that day," Green wrote.

With the tide apparently turning against him, Kam is engaged in a bitter fight to keep his project on track...."

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Do you belong to the KCC? Do you know who Al Cam and Don Perry are? Maybe knowing who they are might help uncover the motives of PLK.
        Miulang
        Yes, we belong to KCC but living an hour out of town makes it difficult to participate to a degree I would have liked to over the past 4 years. No, I don't know who Al Cam or Don Perry are.

I am glad this has gotten some media attention. It seems, to often, that a capitalist gets beneficial legislation passed based on a dubious claim that it will benefit the community but in reality is an entirely commercial venture or worse unfair competition. (insert George Bush and The Arlington Sports Facilities Development Authority)
        Link

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Working...
        X