PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

kukui_nut
May 20th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Well, isolated here on Maui I can offer that Koho's has one of the best burgers on island (especially the teri-burger). :)

What about Oahu and other islands??

**feels a rumbly in my tumbly, now** :(

helen
May 20th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Jack-in-the-Box's Jumbo Jack as far as good bargin and not messy to eat like either the Burger King's Whopper or the McDonald's Big Mac. Not to mention ease of getting it. Wendy's single burger is a good second as well as Jack-in-the-Box's Ultimate Cheeseburger (price and no veggies makes this sandwich a guilty pleasure).

Some of the other burgers at McDonalds and Burger King are okay but I rarely go to them.

The burgers from the local places are okay if you like to pay higher prices for it.

kukui_nut
May 20th, 2004, 02:31 PM
The burgers from the local places are okay if you like to pay higher prices for it.
Er, yeah, these are the ones I'm talking about as I'm kind of a passionate burger elitist. :)

And having the juice drip down my arms as I shove the burger in my face is a real fetish of mine... :p

pzarquon
May 20th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Hmm. The only two that come to mind are Teddy's Bigger Burgers on Monsarrat near Diamond Head, and Kua `Aina Burger (North Shore preferred, but Ward will do). I've only had the former once, but the latter I can't stay away from!

Timster
May 21st, 2004, 01:45 AM
The Shack - Mililani

Albert
May 21st, 2004, 09:53 AM
My favorite is at Bubba Gump's, Ala Moana.

skchai
May 21st, 2004, 11:18 AM
I agree with pzarquon. Teddy's and Kua `Aina are the best. W & M near St. Louis / Chaminade is also a real institution but their burgers are kind of flat compared to the other two. I actually liked Big City Diner's Kim Chee Burger but have to admit that there was nothing amazing about the burger itself other than having kim chee on the top. . .

Hmm. The only two that come to mind are Teddy's Bigger Burgers on Monsarrat near Diamond Head, and Kua `Aina Burger (North Shore preferred, but Ward will do). I've only had the former once, but the latter I can't stay away from!

helen
May 21st, 2004, 07:10 PM
If this was 25 years ago and on the Big Island I say Cafe 100.

I know that they sell hamburgers at L&L Drive In but if I go there I tend to have BBQ Chicken Plate lunch instead, unless it's a Saturday where the Young Street location has it's daily special of BBQ Chicken and Hamburger Steak.

Leimamo
May 24th, 2004, 07:00 PM
On our way to school every morning, we'd get off the bus at Waianae Bakery and order hamburger deluxe. They had the best hamburger I ever tasted. For French Fries, we'd go to Tasty Freeze, next to Waianae Store, because they served it with a mixture of mustard and mayonaise instead of ketchup (upon request).

*reminiscent smile*

Ok, now I'm homesick and hungry for local foods :(

slickvic
May 25th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Definitley Kua'aina all the way. Teddy's comes in close second though.

-vic

kukui_nut
May 25th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Oh, I gotta add the "Blues" Burger at Ruby's (http://rubys.com/home.html) here on Maui. :)

easTTriver
May 25th, 2004, 02:56 PM
cheesecake factory got some ono burgers too...check it out for lunch.

LikaNui
May 25th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Gordon Biersch, for the burger with bits of bleu cheese in it.

YoungNeil
May 25th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Teddy's gets my vote!

helen
May 25th, 2004, 08:42 PM

Burger, garlic fries and the beer. Went there a few weeks ago, they had three other burger varations for the same price as the standard burger. Two I can't remember but the one I tried was the mushroom and swiss cheese. It was good.

pzarquon
July 9th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Teddy’s Bigger Burgers eatery moving into Waikiki (http://starbulletin.com/2004/07/09/business/engle.html), Erika Engle reports today. They're taking the spot along lower Kapahulu that used to be a Jack In The Box, in the Waikiki Grand Hotel and across from the Honolulu Zoo.

The new space will be almost three times larger and will definitely offer better walk-by traffic... but I don't think the parking situation will be improved much. Sure, there's a big city lot across the way, but that's always packed.

That said, I wish 'em luck. Tasty stuff!

Albert
July 9th, 2004, 09:49 AM
"that used to be a Jack In The Box"

Sheez, first Denny's and now Jack being displaced in that area.

Linkmeister
July 9th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Maybe I'm biased (hey, I worked upstairs!), but Fridays at Ward used to have great burgers when they first opened. One for every day of the week. The Wednesday burger was mushrooms and onions with cheese, as I recall. :D

Last few times I've been there, though, they seem to have gotten away from that kind of menu altogether.

lurkah
July 9th, 2004, 02:51 PM
For French Fries, we'd go to Tasty Freeze

<offtopic>Tasty Freeze had DA BESTEST orange freeze too.http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/ono.gif</offtopic>

helen
July 9th, 2004, 07:14 PM
"that used to be a Jack In The Box"

Sheez, first Denny's and now Jack being displaced in that area.

Actually it's the other way around. That Jack-in-the-Box was closed before June.

AuntieNellieKulolo
July 12th, 2004, 02:39 AM
HK Restaurant on S. King near the old stadium had excellent teri burgers, but I heard they closed recently... :(

MOS Burger was good too.

Recently I went to a place in Maryland called Silver Diner and had what they called an 'Aloha Burger', basically a teri burger with some type of pineapple relish. Could have used more mayo, otherwise not bad at all.

Albert
July 12th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Helen wrote:

"Actually it's the other way around. That Jack-in-the-Box was closed before June."

Just goes to show how often I go to Waikiki.

helen
July 12th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Is MOS Burger still around?

AuntieNellieKulolo
July 13th, 2004, 01:59 AM
I don't think so. They opened on Ward for a while (about a year I think), then they were at Market City, then closed. I noticed both locations didn't have the teri burger on the menu. I used to go when they were at the AMC food court, back when Cactus Jack's(home of the heavenly bean chimichanga and pineapple salsa) and Jo-Ni's were also there. Why do my favorite places have to close??? :mad:

pzarquon
July 13th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Ward? Market City? Shows how out of touch I am. (Eh, Albert? :)) The last two MOS Burger outlets I've seen were on University in the YMCA building years and years ago, and then in the increasingly high-rent Ewa end of Waikiki on Kalakaua. Never had one yet... mostly 'cause my friends at UH always called 'em "moss burgers."

Fernymack
July 20th, 2004, 05:02 AM
still get dinners in Hawaii Kai?? good burgers there.....

helen
July 31st, 2004, 09:41 AM
I tried the Classic Burger with cheese at Big City Diner in the Ward Theater complex. It was around $8 with fries. Kind of big burger but not messy to eat.

Albert
July 31st, 2004, 01:29 PM
Helen reported:

"It was around $8 with fries."

Yikes, think I'll stick with Jack-in-the-Box.

helen
July 31st, 2004, 04:49 PM
I would stick with Jack-in-the-Box too, but it was 11:30 pm, I just gotten out of watching Thunderbirds and I didn't have anything to eat since lunch time and Big City Diner was open to 1am on Friday nights and there was no line to get in.

I think the next time I go there I might try something else but I know the burger is okay.

pzarquon
August 1st, 2004, 07:00 AM
Well, that's the price of a "gourmet" burger. Heck, the very best burgers will easily put you above $10. I imagine to some folks, paying so much for what's essentially ground beef and bread is ridiculous, but when I'm reallyin the mood, a $8 Kua`aina burger combo is just too tastly to resist.

I figure, if a cheap-ass fast food burger combo costs me $5 for both the cheap-ass burger and the cheap-ass fries, a $3 premium is pretty reasonable to upgrade the components several fold. The price variation between low-end and high-end is definitely easier to take than in, say, sushi, or wine.

BKHale2007
August 2nd, 2004, 03:00 PM
Itsu's Fishing Supply is known for its shave ice, and for its kim chee burgers.

fvck3k
September 1st, 2004, 10:12 AM
Hmmmm...burgers in Hawaii? Kua'Aina and Shiro's. In Vegas...Inn & Out

Albert
September 1st, 2004, 01:47 PM
Well, now we have a "Cheeseburger Factory" at UH-Manoa. I haven't tried it yet, still baffled about whether to try it or:

Yummy Korean B-B-Q
Lahaina Chicken Company
Mama's Spaghetti House
Bear's Drive-Inn

All of which, along with Papa John's pizza, have opened recently at UHM.

helen
September 1st, 2004, 08:13 PM
So where on UH are these new places?

Albert
September 2nd, 2004, 10:21 AM
Helen asked:

"So where on UH are these new places?"

In the "Yummy Food Court" at Campus Center. (I had no idea Yummy Korean B-B-Q owned all those franchises, hardly would associate Korean B-B-Q with Mama's Spaghetti). :)

As for the burger from their Cheeseburger Factory, I'd say on a par with a Jumbo Jack, but more than twice as expensive.

Serenity
September 2nd, 2004, 07:14 PM
Speaking of burgers.....

I remember that there was once a place
that makes really cool burgers...
but they are vegy burgers with the works...
you couldn't even tell. They tasted like real burgers.
They use to be in the Aloha Tower at the food court,
long time ago. Does any one remember that place?
(I forgot the name of the place.)
What happened to them?
Did they close their business altogether or
did they actually move? :confused:

helen
October 10th, 2004, 03:33 PM
I figure, if a cheap-ass fast food burger combo costs me $5 for both the cheap-ass burger and the cheap-ass fries, a $3 premium is pretty reasonable to upgrade the components several fold. The price variation between low-end and high-end is definitely easier to take than in, say, sushi, or wine.

I think the Kobe burger which is available on the mainland runs for about $50.

Mocha
October 10th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Kobe beef itself is expensive! I once saw Kobe beef in Japan...ridiculous prices!
Meat in Japan is very marbled...guess the Japanese enjoy their meat with fat! ;)

Kalihiboy
October 11th, 2004, 12:42 AM
MO'S Burger is still around in Waikiki, however the Burger King that used to be near it closed down. Alot of BK's have closed down in recent years.

Makiki Boy

helen
October 11th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Had a couple of cheeseburgers from L&L Drive In today. $5 for the burgers and a small cup of soda.

glossyp
July 9th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Okay, I'm digging up this old thread looking for fresh input. The usual suspects of Kua Aina and Teddy's have been named but what are other places (no national chains please since that thread is already going) that serve excellent, inexpensive ($6 or less) burgers? Maybe it's not their speciality but they do a good job. My current vote is for the double cheeseburger at Nico's $5.75 including fries - and it's an excellent burger.

Kalihiboy
July 10th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Where abouts is Nico's?

The cheesburger at the Pineapple Room aka Alan Wongs at Ala Moana is expensive but tastes pretty good.

Wish we had a Fuddruckers here. I understand a Cheesburger Factory opened up at Ala Moana recently.

KalihiBoy

glossyp
July 10th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Nico's is at Pier 38. From Nimitz turn makai at the New Eagle Cafe/old Xerox building intersection. It's in the Pacific Ocean warehouse just before the fish auction house.

edited to add: You're right about the Cheeseburger Factory at Ala Moana, it's in the food court. Has anyone tried it yet?

helen
July 10th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I tried the Cheeseburger Factory at the Ala Moana Food Court last week, stay away from the onion rings. The burger wasn't that bad.

kimo55
July 10th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I tried the Cheeseburger Factory at the Ala Moana Food Court last week, stay away from the onion rings. The burger wasn't that bad.

wasn't what bad?
compared to what, again?

glossyp
July 14th, 2005, 10:31 AM
My current vote is for the double cheeseburger at Nico's $5.75 including fries - and it's an excellent burger.

Unfortunately :( , I have to revise this opinion. After several times ordering the burger there, we went yesterday and they are now using pre-formed, commercial patties instead of the hand made ones. Makes the burgers flat and dry. This really bums me out.

1stwahine
July 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Hmmmm. I thought I answered to this thread but after checking, I didn't. So, here's my 2cents of where the best cheeseburgers are at!

Uptown Cafe on School Street

Janes Fountain on Liliha Steet

and I also enjoy the Cheeseburgers at Byrons Drive Inn.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule! ;)

pinakboy
July 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Jack-in-the-Box's Jumbo Jack as far as good bargin and not messy to eat like either the Burger King's Whopper or the McDonald's Big Mac. Not to mention ease of getting it. Wendy's single burger is a good second as well as Jack-in-the-Box's Ultimate Cheeseburger (price and no veggies makes this sandwich a guilty pleasure).

Some of the other burgers at McDonalds and Burger King are okay but I rarely go to them.

jumbo jack
ultimate cheeseburger
whopper

cheap eats! :D

didja kno dat at Jack's u can ask the order taker thru da drivethru for condiments like lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and mayo for FREE?? :)

I order my ultimate cheeseburger and add the lettuce, onions, tomatoes and more mayo everytime!! dang messy but good eh??!! :rolleyes:

bitachu
July 15th, 2005, 10:10 AM
I personally like Like Like Drive Inn's Burgers. I loved the type of patty that they make.

kupomog
July 15th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Crap, I love to eat homemade style burgers, but I don't eat them if they have little onions mixed in with the meat. I just can't do it...but that's usually how most burgers are with the exception of national chains. I need to find a place that serves good burgers with no onions in 'em.

tvguy
July 16th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I still swear by W&M......good if you can find parking!

Linkmeister
July 17th, 2005, 09:21 PM
I'd seen Carl's Jr. all over Southern California when I worked in LA, but never went to one. Finally got to the one at the Pearlridge Uptown Food Court a month or so ago, and it's pretty good. The best offering it has might be the deep fried zucchini slices, though; I've never seen a fast food franchise offer those.

Keith H.
July 25th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Okay, I'm digging up this old thread looking for fresh input. The usual suspects of Kua Aina and Teddy's have been named but what are other places (no national chains please since that thread is already going) that serve excellent, inexpensive ($6 or less) burgers? Maybe it's not their speciality but they do a good job. My current vote is for the double cheeseburger at Nico's $5.75 including fries - and it's an excellent burger.

Took a overnight trip to Kauai recently and had lunch at Bubba's in Hanalei. Long lines and slow service, but a really good burger.

glossyp
October 4th, 2005, 04:24 PM
First of all, I must say thanks for everyone for their posts. Even though I didn't start the thread, it has been very helpful with a project we worked on throughout the summer. The results of our search are in and here is a link for anyone who is interested. Burger Wars Summer 2005 (http://www.hawaiidiner.com/reviews/review.php?review=75)

Lalalinder
October 4th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I like the Koko Burger at Koko cafe in the Hale Koa. Delicious! Especially delivered by room service after a long, wonderful day in Paradise.

Pomai
October 4th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Here's my picks...
• Pepperjack Cheese Burger - Matters of Taste, Gentry Center on Nimitz
(Fantastic hand-made char-grilled delight, served with a pickle and carrot stick)
• Beachside Burger with Pepperjack Cheese - Duke's Barefoot Bar, Waikiki
(Another char-grilled delight. Tasty onion roll bun. And their Beachside waffle-cut fries are da' best... Plus a beachfront view to boot!)
• Swiss N' Shroom Burger - Shack Hawaii Kai (I don't consider them a "national chain)
(Excellent char-grilled flavor, and sitting on the marina with this and a side of their curly fries is next to heaven on earth)
• Magic Mushroom Burger - Big City Diner
(Can you tell I like mushroom burgers? Nice ambiance, and skin-on fries are ono!)
• Char-Grill Burger - Jameson's Haleiwa
(Hand-pattied delight, nicely char-grilled with an onion bun, and excellent waffle cut fries)

Most of these picks are in the $6-9 range including the fries. Sorry, pretty tough finding a local spot in a prime location under that price.

Does anyone remember BURGERLAND on Monsarrat? It's now Diamond Head Grill and Market. They had the best tasting local style burgers!

pzarquon
October 4th, 2005, 06:10 PM
The results of our search are in and here is a link for anyone who is interested. Burger Wars Summer 2005 (http://www.hawaiidiner.com/reviews/review.php?review=75)Very cool. Who would've thought eating hamburgers would be so much work? :p Some unexpected findings, too.

I have to admit, I was someone who propagated the mythology of the Kua 'Aina burger, and I probably still like 'em better than I should. But I totally agree on the Kulia Grill award. Even pre-prepared, wrapped and waiting, they're absolutely delicious - great from the bread to the moistness of the meat to the complimentary choice in cheese (I always get the cheeseburger). And those "experimental" chips blow Kua `Aina's soggy nest of potato strings away.

I've been hearing a lot about Nico's lately. Guess that means I'll have to make a special effort to check 'em out, for both the seafood and the burger!

Pomai
October 4th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Kulia Grill.. hmmm, what a find!

Can't beat the price, location and quality of ingredients, according to the HawaiiDiner.com write-up.

I'm determined to have lunch there some time this week! Will post about it after.

How ironic also, as I just started a thread about the new JABSOM center.

More and more I'll have to "eat" my words.
:rolleyes:

shaveice
October 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM
i'm not a big cheeseburger fan but i can vouch for the chips: excellent!

thanks for the link to the story; talked to carol (the manager) today and she hasn't seen the story yet. she's one super nice lady: she works really long hours, always has a smile on her face, and goes out of her way to be helpful.

pzarquon
October 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM
thanks for the link to the story; talked to carol (the manager) today and she hasn't seen the story yet. she's one super nice lady: she works really long hours, always has a smile on her face, and goes out of her way to be helpful.The news of Hawaii's best burger is getting around! On the KHON morning news today, Manolo Morales chose Kulia Grill as his spot for his food segment, and he specifically highlighted its winning of HawaiiDiner.com's "Burger Wars" project. He even ordered the chips because glossyp specifically recommended it.

Congrats on the TV mention, and definitely kudos to the Kulia Grill folks. The praise is well-deserved for such great, thoughtfully prepared food.

shaveice
October 6th, 2005, 02:49 PM
this morning when i dropped by k.g. i felt like slapping my forehead cuz carol mentioned that morales would be there doing the show. sorry; forgot to post that info last night :(

kevin_jay
October 6th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I have to vote for Cheeseburger in Paradise on Maui

Pomai
October 6th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I have to vote for Cheeseburger in Paradise on Maui
DIG DEEP in your wallet if you plan on visiting Cheeseburger in Paradise Waikiki (the one across the beach, near Pacific Beach Hotel).

Everything is served ALA CARTE: Hamburgers start about $9.00 (each). Add fries - $3.50, plus Drink - $2.50.

You're talkin' avg. $15.00 (plus tip) per person for BURGERS & FRIES. :eek:

Glen Miyashiro
November 2nd, 2005, 08:31 AM
I finally made it over to Kulia Grill at JABSOM the other day, and it was worth the trip. The cheeseburger was tender and juicy and really great. And the chips. I wish they'd make up extra bags of those chips for takeout orders. Thanks for the recommendation, guys!

shaveice
November 2nd, 2005, 01:49 PM
glenn, i totally agree with you about the chips being very good but i don't understand the thing about taking it out cuz you can buy as many as you want and take it home with you. i often do that cuz my wife loves it, too. maybe you mean they run out of 'em too quickly?

Glen Miyashiro
November 2nd, 2005, 01:52 PM
Well, it's kinda nitpicky but the chips are served in those little trays, which aren't great for transporting. If they also had 'em for sale in paper bags, maybe, that would be good. Or maybe I should just bring my own bags and dump 'em in. :D

shaveice
November 2nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
oh, i see what you mean. it's not quite the same (or as good) as a paper bag but they'll give you a plastic bag if you ask for em. carol, the manager, told me to leave the plastic bag open so that the chips won't get soggy.

btw, their menu has expanded within the past two weeks or so. they're serving some good stuff in addition to their burgers ;-P

cezanne
November 5th, 2005, 06:24 AM
My wife and I had lunch at Kulia Grill yesterday to try the cheeseburgers. Teddy's is good but Kulia's tops it in our opinion. Now if there was a good combo it would be Kulia's burger and Teddy's fries or onion rings. :)

OT: re the taro lo'i sculpture outside. My wife thinks its unfinished (still gotta put the leafs(leaves?) on top of the stems), I think its finished (that the stems represent new plantings)... what yall think? Maybe the state couldn't afford to put leaves?

Pomai
November 9th, 2005, 08:02 AM
In the D section of today's Star Bulletin, there's an article (http://starbulletin.com/2005/11/09/features/story01.html) about the late Andy's Drive-Inn in Kailua. Primarily how they were famous for their RED and YELLOW SAUCES found today at the current Byron's Drive-Inn

It's pretty easy to figure out the basic recipe is Mayo and Mustard for the yellow sauce.

For the red sauce, they suggest using Ketchup and Relish. But we beg to differ. We've found a tastier option to Ketchup is TOMATO PASTE and relish. Try it and you'll agree!

We think Zippy's uses off-the-shelf Thousand Islands Dressing on their burgers.

I remember the late Kenny's Burgerhouse used a similar sauce to Andy's.

This past weekend I tried a Teddy's Burger with Sauteed Mushrooms on it (a first for me.. adding mushrooms that is). Gotta say, it was an exceptional Mushroom Burger, except next time I would have them omit their sauce. It really took away from the otherwise fantastic and plentiful Mushroom toppings. Next time I would request plain Mayo' instead. Teddy's sauce taste like a combination of mayo', mustard and ketchup mixed together. Good on their plain burgers, but not with the mushrooms.

Moto
November 9th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Hamburger Deluxe at Forty Niners in Aiea is great. These are homemade and not 100% hamburger (bread and other ingredients mixed in). It gives it character. It won't bust your budget. I eat the Hamburger Deluxe and Saimin (which is great there too) and the cost is under $7. Not a large place and they're only open for breakfast and lunch.

tvguy
November 16th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Tonight KITV did a very entertaining piece on Jorge Garcia from "Lost" at HIS favorite burger place....W&M. Apparently Hurley also enjoys Fried Poke and is trying to make sure he finds the right place to Sample a Loco Moco.

Linkmeister
November 17th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Hamburger Deluxe at Forty Niners in Aiea is great. These are homemade and not 100% hamburger (bread and other ingredients mixed in). It gives it character. It won't bust your budget. I eat the Hamburger Deluxe and Saimin (which is great there too) and the cost is under $7. Not a large place and they're only open for breakfast and lunch.

And closed Tuesdays. (That's the road I use to get to H-1, rather than Kamehameha Highway.)

Glen Miyashiro
November 17th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Where are you supposed to park at Forty Niners, anyway? I have passed by there many times but have never stopped in.

Linkmeister
November 17th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Where are you supposed to park at Forty Niners, anyway? I have passed by there many times but have never stopped in.

Gee, Glen, it's got easily five parking spaces! :D

I dunno. I expect you could park on the street or maybe across the way (as long as there's no sticker price on your car, or the tenant might try to sell it.)

wala'au haole
February 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM
KUA AINA burgers in Haleiwa rocks!!!! This is definitely (IMHO) *THE* best burger on Oahu!! No ka oi! Best of da bestest! Must try the Mahi Mahi burger w/ ortega...broke da mout!

1stwahine
February 13th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Two years ago the Best Hamburger in the islands was at a little hole in the wall diner on Hotel Street called Benny's Resturant. Someday, the recipe will be shared so all can enjoy the succulent hamburger that Benny's was known for.

...how do I know this?

Secret! :p hahahahaha

Auntie Lynn

Leo Lakio
February 13th, 2006, 12:36 PM
KUA AINA burgers in Haleiwa rocks!!!!
Never been to that one, but we did have a great experience when we were in Tokyo in June of 2004. We had been in many parts of the city that day, eventually taking a boat ride up the Sumida River and over to Odaiba. Towards the end of the day, while looking for dinner, we found a Kua Aina burger joint out there.
Nothing like being greeted by a thickly-accented "Aroha!," then eating a burger while listening to Hawaiian music in Japan (good music, too - I think the staff wondered about us when we were singing along to Keali`i Reichel, Sunday Manoa and others), and looking out at a miniature Statue Of Liberty. Another universe, I tell you.

LikaNui
February 13th, 2006, 12:44 PM
KUA AINA burgers in Haleiwa rocks!!!! I agree, even with the looooong waiting line there. Get one avocado tree right behind the shop, too.
Also A Kua Aina shop across from Ward Warehouse in town.

helen
February 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Also A Kua Aina shop across from Ward Warehouse in town.
It moved last month, it's now in Ward Center (same building as Borders).

mauiwahine05
February 13th, 2006, 01:46 PM
you GOTTA try Millyard Cafe on MAUI right by wei wei bbq. THE BEST HAMBURGAHHH EVER!!! cheap too! the hamurger steak plate is mean! and comes with grilled onions, rice and mac salad...also available in mini plate.

LikaNui
February 13th, 2006, 02:04 PM
It moved last month, it's now in Ward Center (same building as Borders). Thanks for the news, Helen! (Shows ya how often I go town side. :p ) Hopefully they've got more seating in the new location.

Dale
February 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the news, Helen! (Shows ya how often I go town side. :p ) Hopefully they've got more seating in the new location.

Bigger area, but no lua!!! You have to walk into the main complex or go bushes!!! Aya those people!!!

p0id0g
February 19th, 2006, 09:32 PM
any word on where the new Fatburger will be opening? my buddies and i were up in Reno this past november for the WAC vball tournament and we drove all the way to South Tahoe just to go to Fatburger because they are just that good. Fatburger.com says that an oahu location is "coming soon".... I can't wait!

D'Alani
February 20th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Two years ago the Best Hamburger in the islands was at a little hole in the wall diner on Hotel Street called Benny's Resturant. Someday, the recipe will be shared so all can enjoy the succulent hamburger that Benny's was known for.

...how do I know this?

Secret! :p hahahahaha

Auntie Lynn
Eh Aunty, I bet was your recipe no?...or was that your restaurant? Must have been so onoliscious!!

1stwahine
February 20th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Eh Aunty, I bet was your recipe no?...or was that your restaurant? Must have been so onoliscious!!

Yes to three questions! :D hee hee hee

Auntie Lynn ;)

Moto
February 21st, 2006, 05:43 AM
And closed Tuesdays. (That's the road I use to get to H-1, rather than Kamehameha Highway.)

Now closed on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Just went there yesterday after the Great Aloha Run, and their Hamburger Deluxe is still great and affordable at under $3.00.

As far as parking, I usually street park on the side street past the restaurant. It is difficult to exit the parking lot with the backed up traffic from the traffic light on Kamehameha Highway

I<3mydoggies
April 11th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Yum, a thread after my own heart. :D I'd have to suggest you guys try Kiawe Grill. They are located on the side of Diners - Kalihi. They grill your burger with Kiawe wood anyway you like it! Homemade and thick! If you are in for adventure you could even try their buffalo or ostrich burger.

kimo55
April 11th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Buffalo? ostrich?
yow.
I'm not that adventurous but their reg. burgers sound like they would be very ono.

Miulang
April 11th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Buffalo? ostrich?
yow.
I'm not that adventurous but their reg. burgers sound like they would be very ono.
Ostrich and buffalo are actually better for you than beef, and they're pretty ono, too (taste better than ground turkey to me). I'm waiting for the next time we can afford to go a local place up here called the Sakura Bistro so I can some nice sauteed alligator! (Last time we went, they were all sold out! :mad: ) I've heard alligator tastes like chicken....

Miulang

kimo55
April 11th, 2006, 05:53 PM
eh, i know beef is awful for ya. So could swine be. But hey. ya only go round once in life and kalua pig is so ono and a good burger can make my day.

besdies; i tried vegetarianism and i got so hypersensitive to daily life... smoke, pollution, noise, the slightest bit of fast food...
it couldn't be done.

Creative-1
April 11th, 2006, 11:12 PM
No one's mentioned Liliha Bakery. Their burger is excellent. Hand formed. Put into their own buns. Tarter sauce. It's only a couple bucks.

kimo55
April 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Hand formed.
ugh.
hand formed.
avian flu,
necrobacilliss bacteria,
here we come.

Dave
April 27th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Jack in the box makes some good burgers for fast food, Teddys are nice and meaty, but Burger in paradise takes the cake for nicest ambiance ;) I mean you can't beat it being right on the beach!

Palolo Joe
April 27th, 2006, 04:14 PM
ugh.
hand formed.
avian flu,
necrobacilliss bacteria,
here we come.
How else are they supposed make hamburger patties? With their feet?

SusieMisajon
May 17th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Used to be this place, called 'Ferdinand's'...only burgers. Had one big Toro, sitting under a cork tree, too.

Pomai
June 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM
FYI..

Teddy's now serves an 18 OUNCE MONSTER BURGER!
http://www.96seven44.com/images/teddysmonsterburger.jpg
You can't see it in that photo, but there are THREE patties stacked up inside that monster!
I wanted to cut it in half to show the inside, but my nephew was in too much of a hurry to eat it.

I took my nephew visiting from the mainland to Teddy's in Waikiki this past week when he brought upon this interesting revelation to me. When I asked him what he ordered he told me the EIGHTEEN OUNCE MONSTER DOUBLE COMBO. I first doubted him when he told me that and then was shocked to learn IT'S TRUE. There it was staring at me on the menu! Since when did Teddy's offer this heavyweight? Last I remembered, the largest they had was a 9 ouncer.

The MONSTER DOUBLE COMBO is made up of THREE 6 oz. patties stacked on each other, served with the standard Super Sauce, fresh Lettuce, tomato, pickles and onion, fries and drink. For $10.85 it really actually is a pretty good deal in comparison to other "gourmet" burger joints.

Amazingly my (still growing) teenage nephew wolfed down the entire sandwich, PLUS the heap of fries it came with. :eek:

I must say, Teddy's consistently excellent flame-grilled burgers plus great fries, friendly service and reasonable prices keeps them at the top of my list.

http://teddysbiggerburgers.com

Samurai123
June 6th, 2006, 05:09 PM

I just ate this burger and you were absolutely right on! Really great burger and those garlic fries - Yummmmm!

WindwardOahuRN
June 6th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Well, that's the price of a "gourmet" burger. Heck, the very best burgers will easily put you above $10. I imagine to some folks, paying so much for what's essentially ground beef and bread is ridiculous, but when I'm reallyin the mood, a $8 Kua`aina burger combo is just too tastly to resist.

As far as the beef variety goes, I have to vote with Kua 'Aina. Really annoying that they almost never have avocado, though. What really pissed me off was when they would claim that at the old North Shore location when there was a loaded avocado tree right outside the place.

If you want to go veggie, try the portobello burger at Big City Diner.

LikaNui
June 7th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I just ate this burger and you were absolutely right on! Really great burger and those garlic fries - Yummmmm! You're welcome. And thanks for reminding me -- I haven't been there for a while and had sort of forgotten about it.

LikaNui
June 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM
As far as the beef variety goes, I have to vote with Kua 'Aina. Really annoying that they almost never have avocado, though. What really pissed me off was when they would claim that at the old North Shore location when there was a loaded avocado tree right outside the place. Surprisingly, I actually did find an avocado on that little tree not once, but twice. Every other time... empty tree.
Still a darned good burger, just better with avocado.

Creative-1
June 7th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I had the burger at Town (in Kaimuki) this week and it was soooooo ono!

The showstring fries are good too.

Pomai
June 23rd, 2006, 08:43 AM
The Honolulu Advertiser published a story today about Honolulu's 2006 Burger Kings (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060623/ENT04/606230307/1131/DINING). It includes a poll of this year's top contenders which are:

Bob's Bar-B-Que
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
Islands Restaurant
Kua 'Aina
Nico's
The Pineapple Room
Town
W&M

They purposely left out last year's Ilima Award winner, Teddy's.

There was also a report (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060621/ap_on_fe_st/100_burger_1) recently of a Florida restaurant serving up a $100 20 oz. gourmet burger deemed the "beluga caviar of sandwiches".

I still vote Duke's Waikiki's flame-grilled Beachside Burger ($7.50) and spicy, waffle-cut Beach fries ($2.95) as one of the best in town.

Does anyone know of a burger joint in Hawaii that serves a burger heavier than Teddy's 18 ouncer? Just curious.

glossyp
June 23rd, 2006, 12:32 PM
The Honolulu Advertiser published a story today about Honolulu's 2006 Burger Kings (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060623/ENT04/606230307/1131/DINING). It includes a poll of this year's top contenders which are:

Bob's Bar-B-Que
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
Islands Restaurant
Kua 'Aina
Nico's
The Pineapple Room
Town
W&M

They purposely left out last year's Ilima Award winner, Teddy's.

IMO, leaving out Teddy's makes the vote irrelevant - just because they won the Ilima award doesn't negate the importance of Teddy's in the burger world - it just makes the poll seem contrived.

Foodie friends who were here recently tried burgers at Teddy's, Pineapple Room, Nico's and town - Teddy's came out way on top with town and Pineapple Room in a tie.

kimo55
June 23rd, 2006, 12:40 PM
i found teddy's burfer to be bland, overpriced.
the fake 50's decor was too topheavy. and for a place that tries to convey a 50's feel it is strange they use a contrived overused 90's phrase in their tagline.

"reinventing the burger joint"

so when will they be done with this "reinventing" process?
should we wait until they finish reinventing it? is that why it was so bland last time we went?

lavagal
June 23rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
To me, heaven is a RAINBOW ROYAL from Rainbow Drive-Inn on Kapahulu. I'm actually quite pleased this made-to-order double cheeseburger with manoa lettuce, crispy fresh slice of onion, tomato slices and "special sauce" DIDN'T make the list.

The thing I never liked about Kua Aina burgers is the huge heaping of bad attitude one gets on the side. I always say if you can't smile when you're dealing with the public as part of your career, then find another job. No one should get paid to crap on customers.

LikaNui
June 23rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
I think they missed a good bet by not including The Shack.

Pomai
June 23rd, 2006, 01:56 PM
I think they missed a good bet by not including The Shack.Whoo ha! You know 'dat! I swear their Swiss' N' Shroom Burger is the best! I didn't care for their famous "Shack Cheeseburger (http://www.shackhawaiikai.com/menu.html) " though. The portuguese sausage on it just kills the flavor of the burger, which is what I want to taste.

As for Teddy's being bland, I must admit on several orders I've made at the Waikiki location my patty suffered the same. Especially noticeable when you consider how THICK the patties are. It probably has more to with the cook on duty at the time not putting enough salt on the patty when it's on the grill. The Hawaii Kai location (Koko Marina) consistently pumped out tasty burgers on my orders. I don't like their sauce so I opt for plain mayo'. Decor-wise, the Waikiki location is a bit tacky, but the whimsical map mural of Waikiki is kinda' fun.

Another GREAT (mentoned before I think) is the signature Jameson's Burger (http://www.restauranteur.com/jamesonshawaiicom/menuhaleiwa.htm#Lunch) out in Haliewa, just past the beach park. Awesome.

I'm taking Creative-1's advice and heading out to Town (no pun intended) on my next burger quest.

lokelani
July 10th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Big City Diner!!

I love the mushroom burgers... fresh mushrooms & garlic.. yum... They are the BEST! we once sat on a table & all the girls ordered like 5 mushroom burgers & 1 portabello mushroom burger.... & if I'm going to pay 8$ for my burger... I'd much rather sit in a nice air conditioned restaurant then outside sitting next to cars on a hot summer day ... (if I had to pick kua aina ward or big city diner ward.... ) ...besides I love their bubbies ice cream & brownie pie.. yum! :)

Mike_Lowery
July 12th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Hamburgers from Sueoka Store's snack shop in Koloa, Kauai. Haven't had anything in the world that tops it yet.

Bard
July 25th, 2006, 05:12 PM
This may earn me fluffy-tourist points, but I just don't care. :) There was a place in the Waikiki World Market called Joe's that serves a mean pineapple teriyaki burger. Avocado burgers too, though IMO they were not as good as the PT. Yumm. $6 each, not including the fries, but whatevah :)

I'm so sad that we were in Hale'iwa twice and didn't see/stop at Kua Aina. :\ Sounds like the winner from raw numbers of votes on this thread!

helen
July 25th, 2006, 06:40 PM
There is another location of Kua Aina at Ward Center, a few miles from Waikiki. Don't have to drive to other side of the island to get their stuff.

Lei Liko
July 25th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I must ditto W&M. I don't care if I have to park blocks away.

However, the best burgers I've had IN MY LIFE were on Kauai. Duane's Ono Char. Mmm. Mmm. Mmm.

oceanpacific
July 31st, 2006, 12:55 PM
My choice for burgers, in alphabetical order:

Bob's Bar-B-Q - Giant Burger ..... w/Giant Fries;
Kiawe Grill - Kobe Burger is now 10 oz., regular is 6 oz.; hold the mustard (that belongs on hot dogs); the thick steak-cut fries are very good; I go to the one across "Old Stadium Park" in Moiliili;
Rainbow Drive-Inn - Rainbow Royale (w/cheese); Rainbow Special (no cheese); the twin patties may be flat, but so tasty; strawberry slush for a drink.

Richie's on No. King St. is run by a former cook from Rainbow's and has a similar menu. Their version of the Rainbow Special is only $1.92 and is close in taste; one thing Richie's serves that Rainbow's doesn't is a BBQ Pork plate (Rainbow's has a BBQ Pork sandwich, why no plate?). Their slush machine isn't always ready, though.

I went to Teddy's a couple of times. Tasty, but messy.

Hellbent
August 3rd, 2006, 03:46 AM
Yum, a thread after my own heart. :D I'd have to suggest you guys try Kiawe Grill. They are located on the side of Diners - Kalihi. They grill your burger with Kiawe wood anyway you like it! Homemade and thick! If you are in for adventure you could even try their buffalo or ostrich burger.

wow, ive been wanting to try ostrich meat since i heard about it. its the only red poultry meat.

how come no one has mentioned the burgers at magoo's (or the subs)?

Manö'iki
August 4th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Teddy's on O'ahu. Haven't been there since 2003, but their burgers were awsome.

Ono Char Burger on Kaua'i. Mmmmm... ono char burger.... **drools**

Pomai
August 6th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Here's my nomination for Hawaii's Best Hamburger...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/dukes_beachburger.jpg
Duke's Waikiki Beachside Burger - $7.49 (shown with Beach Fries, which is actually a side dish). Our waitress asked the cook cut it in half and present the plate for photo ops.

This jewel is succulent and juicy, FLAME-GRILLED to medium-well perfection. It comes with super-fresh Manoa Lettuce and bun has a slightly buttery, toasted appeal. A masterpiece. You can also order it with Pepperjack Cheese. I'll get that one next time.

What else makes this Hawaii's Best Hamburger?

Well, along with the burger, they EXCELLENT "BEACH" FRIES!...
http://www.96seven44.com/images/dukes_beachfries_cu.jpg
Duke's Beach Fries - $2.95... and believe me, this is a meal in itself!

These waffle-cut gems have a little spice on them, sort of like those "box" guy's seasoned curly fries.

They also have a million-dollar Waikiki beachfront view to go with it (not the tourists, the view)...
http://www.96seven44.com/images/dukes_view.jpg

Continued next post...

Pomai
August 6th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Part 2 of 2.

How can a great burger (or life in general) be any better than when you have da' aunties playing Kanikapila-style Hawaiian music for you!...
http://www.96seven44.com/images/dukes_tutuhula.jpg

On top, of that, friendly, courteous staff!..
http://www.96seven44.com/images/dukes_christine.jpg
Our friend (and longtime Duke's bartender), Christine

Not only is there da' Aunties playing tables every night, you also get to enjoy Kapena (no extra charge) on Saturdays, as we did yesterday afternoon...
http://www.96seven44.com/images/dukes_kapena.jpg
Kapena plays at Duke's Waikiki every Saturday from 4-6pm. Henry Kapono plays every Sunday from 4-6pm.

Gotta' love Duke's Beachside Burger for all of the above!

tutusue
August 6th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Ok...I nominate Duke's to be the location of the next HT get together on a Saturday or Sunday 4-6p!

One of my most memorable Christmas Eves was spent with good friends at Dukes. We sat outside, had a wonderful dinner, the weather was perfect, the view was to die for, the music (I think it was Uncle Moe, but I'm not sure...ol' fut memory!) just didn't get any better. I didn't want to leave the restaurant! Great evening. :)

Pomai
August 6th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Ok...I nominate Duke's to be the location of the next HT get together on a Saturday or Sunday 4-6p!Great idea, Tutu. Only problem, especially on Sunday when Henry plays, it's SO crowded, it might be hard to get enough seating for all the HT'rs. They don't do reservations either. It's first come, first serve, so someone would have to go really early and hold a few tables.

If this place ever closes (highly unlikely), I get first dibs on this neon sign! (wishful thinking)...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/dukes_neonsign.jpg
Duke's is located on the ground floor of the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, between the Moana Surfrider and Royal Hawaiian Hotel (da pink one). They're operated by TS Restaurants, who also own the new Hula Grill, upstairs next to Chuck's.

Hang that in the living room and play Kapena and Henry Kapono CDs while sipping on a Lavaflow or Tropical Itch. lol

Bump back da' burger photo to stay OT..
http://www.96seven44.com/images/dukes_beachburger.jpg

tutusue
August 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Great idea, Tutu. Only problem, especially on Sunday when Henry plays, it's SO crowded, it might be hard to get enough seating for all the HT'rs. They don't do reservations either. It's first come, first serve, so someone would have to go really early and hold a few tables.
Let's all get there at 2:00 and start drinking! :D

If this place ever closes (highly unlikely), I get first dibs on this neon sign! (wishful thinking)...[...]Hang that in the living room and play Kapena and Henry Kapono CDs while sipping on a Lavaflow or Tropical Itch. lol
[...]
oh...Oh...OH...that sign is soooo perfect for my little grass shack in Makaha. By the time Duke's is ready to close my LGS might be completed! You can have visitation rights, Pomai! ;)

damontucker
August 6th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I third Tutue's vote on Dukes... You can bring children there too since it's technically also a restaraunt.

And get showers right out side if the mudslinging starts up :p

Keanu
August 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Lee's Drive in, little hole in the wall place in Kaneohe bewteen the Kaneohe Post office and the old Golden Crown. I have never tasted a better burger and fries, ever!

They make ono tea cookies too.

blueyecicle
August 6th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Here in Oregon they have Red Robin and they put a pineapple on the burger! Oh wait that doesn't count does it! :p
I did love Duke's! too! Time ta make some lasagna!!

kimo55
August 6th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Here in Oregon they have Red Robin and they put a pineapple on the burger! Oh wait that doesn't count does it!
yea it counts. only to three.
otherwise; a burger. in oregon. with fruit on it that is not indigenous to Hawaii.
yea. i would say -yes.
that has nothing whatever to do with the subject. but i threadrift too. so have at it.

CranBeree
August 6th, 2006, 04:55 PM
are you guys serious about making it the next HT get together? cuz if u guys are..set a date ..i can get us reservations...(yes i know, they dont take reservations...but trust me i can)

blueyecicle
August 6th, 2006, 05:07 PM
yea it counts. only to three.
otherwise; a burger. in oregon. with fruit on it that is not indigenous to Hawaii.
yea. i would say -yes.
that has nothing whatever to do with the subject. but i threadrift too. so have at it.
They call it a Bonzai Aloha Burger!! Does that help?? :D J/K HEY it's not my name for it! Yell at RROBIN

kimo55
August 6th, 2006, 05:13 PM
makes as much sense as the mainland thang of calling it "Hawaiian Pizza" cuz it has Pineapple, (Not really a Hawaiian fruit) and canadian bacon!

blueyecicle
August 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Cause there is so much pig farming in Hawai'i and CANADA! LOL....None in Idaho or anywhere like that! :rolleyes:

Pomai
August 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Pineapple may not be indigenous to Hawaii, but we should at least feel fortunate that it's synonymous with us! Same for Macadamia Nuts and many other things that ring "Hawaii" top-of-mind. It's good for tourism and our economy.

Bonzai Aloha Burger sounds cool. Bonzai>Japan>Teriyaki Sauce. Yup. Aloha>Hawaii>Pineapple. Yup. Makes sense.

Tutusue, if your Little Grass Shack in Makaha gets the Duke's neon sign, I want visitation rights with a contract that includes "bottomless" Lavaflow & Tropical Itch cocktails. :D

blueyecicle, diggin' that pink do!

kimo55
August 6th, 2006, 05:58 PM
tutu would say yes, I assume... as long as you brings da rum.
I got da vodka and recipes and mugs covered...
http://www.drinkoftheweek.com/special/trop.htm

blueyecicle
August 6th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Pineapple may not be indigenous to Hawaii, but we should at least feel fortunate that it's synonymous with us! Same for Macadamia Nuts and many other things that ring "Hawaii" top-of-mind. It's good for tourism and our economy.

Bonzai Aloha Burger sounds cool. Bonzai>Japan>Teriyaki Sauce. Yup. Aloha>Hawaii>Pineapple. Yup. Makes sense.

Tutusue, if your Little Grass Shack in Makaha gets the Duke's neon sign, I want visitation rights with a contract that includes "bottomless" Lavaflow & Tropical Itch cocktails. :D

blueyecicle, diggin' that pink do!
So did everyone on the island when I visited! Here they point and laugh and say rude things....every day!! all day!! There they just gave me the thumb pinky sign and said Hey Pink Pantha!
Big difference from my every day life! :rolleyes:

Keanu
August 6th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Pineapple may not be indigenous to Hawaii, but we should at least feel fortunate that it's synonymous with us! Same for Macadamia Nuts and many other things that ring "Hawaii" top-of-mind.

Don't forget Don Ho and Coconuts too.

kimo55
August 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM
So did everyone on the island when I visited! Here they point and laugh and say rude things....every day!! all day!! There they just gave me the thumb pinky sign and said Hey Pink Pantha!
Big difference from my every day life!
well, we celebrate diversity and individuality and sometimes the creative in yer face celebration of it by t'rowin da shakaaa sign.
but dat can be da thumb pinky sign too.

kimo55
August 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Don't forget Don Ho and Coconuts too.
Don Ho's coconuts?! whaaa...

damontucker
August 6th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Kimo... bring da boat!!!

What ever happened to the HT catamaran thing????

2:00 Dukes... then off for a Sunset Catamaran Cruise.... sounds too good...

Can the HT gods make this happen?

1stwahine
August 6th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Yeah, Let's plan a get-together. Time is of essence. ;)

Auntie Lynn :D

kimo55
August 6th, 2006, 06:37 PM
time isn't of essence.

time is OF the essence.
completely different aminal, gurl.

localgrl
August 6th, 2006, 06:40 PM
U guys stay always planning one get together! Can you guys plan one foa da end of da year, so dat way I can come? I still coming at the end of da year and I like meet some of you if not ALL....heehee :) We stay getting one mini get togeda set up for LV on one odda site next month so now I stay all excited fo meet all kine new people!

tutusue
August 6th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Oooh...those look lethal!

I can provide the ingredients; no problem. I'm at a loss when it comes to bartending skills. Ya get me past a cheap jug of chardonnay and I'm lost! :D

1stwahine
August 6th, 2006, 06:50 PM
time isn't of essence.

time is OF the essence.
completely different aminal, gurl.

Ok. Whatever you say. Just plan something. :D

I bring pupu's (da food kine) ;)

Localgrl, no worry. Wen you come, we make something. Right in time foa the holidays. I always throw one big party at my hale. You invited!!!

Auntie Lynn

helen
August 6th, 2006, 06:53 PM
As a friendly reminder if anyone wants to plan a gathering please make a new thread for that purpose. Please keep the focus of this thread on hamburgers.

1stwahine
August 6th, 2006, 06:55 PM
As a friendly reminder if anyone wants to plan a gathering please make a new thread for that purpose. Please keep the focus of this thread on hamburgers.

Wat if we planning one Hamburger Party? We pay you next Tuesday or sumting lil dat! :p

Nah, Helen. Joke.

Auntie Lynn

kimo55
August 6th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Oooh...those look lethal!

I can provide the ingredients; no problem. I'm at a loss when it comes to bartending skills. Ya get me past a cheap jug of chardonnay and I'm lost! :D
I was a bartender. for yeeeaaaarrsss.
I was a BUT...ler for yeaaarrrsss...

Pomai
August 7th, 2006, 06:58 AM
I was a bartender. for yeeeaaaarrsss.
I was a BUT...ler for yeaaarrrsss...I can invite Christine to mix it up. She's easier on the eye than you Kimo. lol j/k.

You can be butler though and answer Tutusue's door. It will be a busy place with that whole LGS-Duke's thing goin' on.

I'll tend to the grill downstairs, fire'n' up some of them Makaha Beachside Burgers! (see Helen, I stay on topic!).

Pomai
August 7th, 2006, 07:37 AM
U guys stay always planning one get together! Can you guys plan one foa da end of da year, so dat way I can come?You know 'dat sistah. Hawaii style, any reason fo' 'trow party, we trow 'em!

I no 'tink nobody like start one thread about it, odda' wise bumbai dey going have to be da' kowordinadah. :o

Just to stay on topic, I'll bump my nomination for Hawaii's Best Hamburger again (different angle). Notice the the thick, hand-made all-beef patty with the nicely charred outer crust. The menu doesn't indicate weight, but I'm estimating at least 8 oz. (half pound). It just drips with juicy, BBQ beef flavor. So ono...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/dukes_beachsideburger.jpg

tutusue
August 7th, 2006, 07:42 AM
[...]You can be butler though and answer Tutusue's door. It will be a busy place with that whole LGS-Duke's thing goin' on.

I'll tend to the grill downstairs, fire'n' up some of them Makaha Beachside Burgers! (see Helen, I stay on topic!).
Oh kewl...burger party at tutusue's! Less driving for me! Yay! Wait...can let only 2 guests in at a time...make that one if Kimo is the butler! Four hundred square feet makes for very intimate get togethers! :D

Leo Lakio
August 7th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Wat if we planning one Hamburger Party? We pay you next Tuesday or sumting lil dat! :p

Nah, Helen. Joke.

Auntie LynnNT, I wondered if anyone else picked up on your "Wimpy" reference...I get 'em! :D

Mike_Lowery
August 7th, 2006, 09:53 AM
NT, I wondered if anyone else picked up on your "Wimpy" reference...I get 'em! :D
oooooooh...Popeye...that's old skool.

mmm...popeye's chicken.

kimo55
August 7th, 2006, 09:58 AM
NT, I wondered if anyone else picked up on your "Wimpy" reference...I get 'em! :D
I got it the moment. and was duly impressed. thot it maybe was an accident...

Leo Lakio
August 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Danger of reading this kind of thread before lunch --- I HAD to go get a hamburger!!!

helen
August 7th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I had one on Saturday from Kua Aina at Ward. While eating it I was thinking about this thread and it occured to me what that one of the things that might make a burger enjoyable to eat would be the lettuce.

If it's shreaded like the Big Mac and the Whopper then there is a tendency for the shreaded lettuce to drop from the sandwich which is to me a bad thing.

Kua Aina's burger had the entire leaf with the stiff middle part in it. If the lettuce is in the burger it makes the sandwich way thicker, which might be a problem to eat it, but at least you have the option to use the leaf or not (and you can always eat it by itself).

For the life of me I can't remember which burger had just the lettuce leaf without the stiff middle part.

LikaNui
August 7th, 2006, 12:22 PM
there is a tendency for the shreaded lettuce to drop from the sandwich which is to me a bad thing. I've got to nominate that one for the most bizarre sentence of the day. (And with this group, that's a difficult distinction to earn. :p )

For the life of me I can't remember which burger had just the lettuce leaf without the stiff middle part. Well, maybe the most bizarre two sentences. :D

TuNnL
August 7th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Ward? Market City? Shows how out of touch I am. (Eh, Albert? :)) The last two MOS Burger outlets I've seen were on University in the YMCA building years and years ago, and then in the increasingly high-rent Ewa end of Waikiki on Kalakaua. Never had one yet... mostly 'cause my friends at UH always called 'em "moss burgers."With good reason. They are pretty terrible. :o

pzarquon
August 7th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Nico's has been mentioned previously as the home of a great burger. A friend of mine just took me there today, and I finally went for a burger instead of one of their famous seafood dishes. And I gotta say, it was pretty darn good! Burger patties had a nice char but were very tender inside. The cheese, in particular, was perfect. Just stringy enough. Two thumbs up.

LikaNui
August 7th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Burger patties had a nice char but were very tender inside. The cheese, in particular, was perfect. Just stringy enough. Two thumbs up. The lettuce, man... tell us about the lettuce!!! Shredded or chunky?
:p

(Sorry, Helen. I couldn't resist. Just a joke, k?)

oceanpacific
August 7th, 2006, 03:40 PM
With good reason. They are pretty terrible. :o

There was MOS Burger outlet for a short while in the Pearl Kai Center across Tower Records. That was more than a decade or two ago, though.

MOS translated to "Mountain, Ocean, Sun."

Erika Engle
August 7th, 2006, 06:23 PM
There was MOS Burger outlet for a short while in the Pearl Kai Center across Tower Records. That was more than a decade or two ago, though.

MOS translated to "Mountain, Ocean, Sun."
I would go to the mountain, ocean or sun in order to steer completely clear of ever eating one of those nasty things ever again.
Ugh. Super-awful ... and you know me, food's my favorite!

glossyp
August 7th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I had the burger at Town (in Kaimuki) this week and it was soooooo ono!

The showstring fries are good too.
I finallly had the burger at town and it is excellent. North Shore Cattle Co. beef, brioche bun and served with the aforementioned fries which are amazing - $7.49. We splurged and added gorgonzola cheese for an extra $1. Highly recommended.

anapuni808
August 7th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Big City Diner!!

I love the mushroom burgers... fresh mushrooms & garlic.. yum... They are the BEST! we once sat on a table & all the girls ordered like 5 mushroom burgers & 1 portabello mushroom burger.... & if I'm going to pay 8$ for my burger... I'd much rather sit in a nice air conditioned restaurant then outside sitting next to cars on a hot summer day ... (if I had to pick kua aina ward or big city diner ward.... ) ...besides I love their bubbies ice cream & brownie pie.. yum! :)

ok - now I'm reading the hamburger thread! I also like Big City Diner simply because its the ONLY place that seems to understand "extremely well, well done & no tomatoes any where near my burger!" Anyplace that can manage THAT order correctly gets the most points from me.

Fran

pzarquon
August 7th, 2006, 07:41 PM
The last time I tried to order a burger the way I like it, Big City Diner required me to sign a waiver. It was tasty, but the whole legal liability thing was a downer.

Yeah, I know, in this day and age, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place, and you're told just about everywhere that your only options are "medium well and above." But I'm beginning to think that a "best burger" joint would probably someday have to be a hole in the wall that isn't afraid of a little pink meat.

anapuni808
August 7th, 2006, 08:03 PM
The last time I tried to order a burger the way I like it, Big City Diner required me to sign a waiver. It was tasty, but the whole legal liability thing was a downer.

Yeah, I know, in this day and age, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place, and you're told just about everywhere that your only options are "medium well and above." But I'm beginning to think that a "best burger" joint would probably someday have to be a hole in the wall that isn't afraid of a little pink meat.

I don't mind a little pink - its when its soooooo juicy that the bun gets wet, thats what I don't like. Same reason for no tomatoes - the bun gets all wet, then I have to throw it out & I'm wasting my $8. IMHO - the very best burger is the one I cook at home!

(reason for edit: too many exclamation points )

helen
August 7th, 2006, 08:22 PM
For Big City Diner, I remember a year ago a friend ordered her burger rare and because it was below medium rare she had to sign a waiver because the Dept. of Health said you have to cook it to a least medium rare.

On the messy burger issue, the more things drop, the less enjoyable, eating the burger gets, but for me that varies. I won't get bent out of shape if a small drop of ketscup or burger grease drops on the plate (or the burger wrapper) when the burger is almost gone. I do shake my head when I first bite on the burger and on the other side drips of glob of sauce.

anapuni808
August 7th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I just have issues with wet bread - it comes from a place back in the dark ages of my childhood.

Leo Lakio
August 8th, 2006, 07:04 AM
I just have issues with wet bread - it comes from a place back in the dark ages of my childhood.Hamaga steak, instead! :p

tikiyaki
August 8th, 2006, 07:19 AM
The lettuce, man... tell us about the lettuce!!! Shredded or chunky?
:p

(Sorry, Helen. I couldn't resist. Just a joke, k?)

Not a joke to me....I hate full leaf lettuce on ANY sandwich.... Shredded all the way, ESPECIALLY on burgers :-)

Leo Lakio
August 8th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Not a joke to me....I hate full leaf lettuce on ANY sandwich.... Shredded all the way, ESPECIALLY on burgers :-)I dislike lettuce on sandwiches too, so I'd rather it be the full-leaf...so I can take it all off the sandwich in one move.

helen
August 8th, 2006, 09:38 AM
For the life of me I can't remember which burger had just the lettuce leaf without the stiff middle part.

Duh, giving the amount of Jumbo Jacks that I eat I should have known this. The one I had last night jogged my memory.

pzarquon
August 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM
The Advertiser revisited their burger overview from June yesterday (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060811/ENT04/608110318/1131/ENT).

Notably, the Kulia Grill came in last. Of course, after the Kulia Grill took the prize in Hawaii Diner (http://www.hawaiidiner.com/)'s review (that no doubt inspired the Advertiser's attempt), they went and changed their recipe... so the Kulia Grill burgers haven't been at all noteworthy for months now.

Erika Engle
August 13th, 2006, 11:49 AM
The Advertiser revisited their burger overview from June yesterday (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060811/ENT04/608110318/1131/ENT).

Notably, the Kulia Grill came in last. Of course, after the Kulia Grill took the prize in Hawaii Diner (http://www.hawaiidiner.com/)'s review (that no doubt inspired the Advertiser's attempt), they went and changed their recipe... so the Kulia Grill burgers haven't been at all noteworthy for months now.
Why in the world would someone change an acclaimed recipe? The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing SCREAMED to mind when I read this post.
Disclaimer - I've not been to Kulia Grill ... no personal experience/axe to grind, etc.

Pomai
October 7th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Yesterday for the first time I visited Kiawe Grill in Kalihi (http://tastyisland.wordpress.com/2006/10/07/kiawe-grill/) and tried their

http://www.96seven44.com/images/kiawe_grill_burgerhalf.jpg
BBQ Cheeseburger Deluxe - 6 oz. ($4.95)

and
http://www.96seven44.com/images/kiawe_grill_steakfries.jpg
Steak-Cut Fries ($2.15)

Believe me, the name Kiawe Grill is literally what this food is about. I seen the grill. It's a restored heavy-duty steel box-shaped unit with a thick iron rod cooking grate and a pit below that burns solid Kiawe LOGS that spew dancin' smokey flames straight up into the meats. They have it sort of hidden in the back, but if you ask me, the grill itself should be a showcase in an "open kitchen" setting. Yeah yeah, I'm the guy that sits there and stares at the BBQ fire. Pyro. lol

The house-made beef burger's patty had a slightly smoked, char-grilled flavor, cooked perfectly medium and need-a-napkin juicy! It was also so big (seemed bigger than 6 oz.) that along with that large portion of steak fries, I only could eat half the burger (shown above). Very juicy. When I return (and I will), I'll ask them not to put ketchup, mustard and relish on it. That was the only thing that didn't work for me. The bun is great; substantial with a nice crust and soft texture. Only gripe on that was they didn't lightly toast the inside on the grill. Next time I'll ask them to do that too. Overall, it was fantastic.

The steak-cut fries was a little over-cooked (hard crust), but still very tender inside and salted perfectly. For just $2 bucks, the portion was HUGE. I shared it with my buddies.

This is probably the only restaurant in Hawaii that offers these kind of exotic meats for burgers...
http://www.96seven44.com/images/kiawe_grill_burgermenu.jpg
I'm gonna' suggest to the owner to offer a swiss'n'mushroom option.

Besides burgers, Kiawe Grill also features BBQ plates with a Korean flare to them, including up to 1 lb. of self-serve Korean vegetables on the side. Wow!

They've now been added to my preferred list of lunch hour restaurants. I'm goin' back for that Ostrich burger!

Highly recommended.

Palolo Joe
October 7th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah yeah, I'm the guy that sits there and stares at the BBQ fire. Pyro. lol

Too funny... and once again, great pics Pomai.

I go to the Kiawe Grill in Moiliili all the time... the ostrich is a nice change of pace, but I would also suggest trying the Angus and Kobe hamburgers.

The regular cheeseburgers are good, but the Angus and Kobe ones are GREAT. Kiawe-grilled Kobe... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Also, like you mentioned, don't forget the regular plates there too... Kiawe-grilled chicken and salmon taste oh-so-ONO with the smokey flavor added.

pzarquon
October 7th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Wow, Pomai. Just reading the menu made my stomach growl. Much as I love a good burger, I can't believe I haven't made the trek to Kiawe Grill. I most certainly will now!

Pomai
October 7th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the tip PJ. I was really tempted to order the Kobe, since they had a few signs around that pushed it, but the higher price I thought might not have warranted it's that much better. Now that you say it is, I'll do that!

Can you explain exactly what you thought of the Ostrich burger? Does it taste like beef? Is it more dry because it's leaner? I don't wanna' order it and be disappointed only for the sake of saying "I tried it".

Also, does the Moili'ili location have that wood-engraved menu board like the Kalihi location? I assume they have the same vegetable station like this one...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/kiawe_grill_vegetables.jpg

at the Kalihi location...
http://www.96seven44.com/images/kiawe_grill_front.jpg
next to Diners Drive In nearby Farrington H.S. on King St.

mapen
October 8th, 2006, 02:59 AM
I ate at the Moiliili location some months ago and they had the same type of wood engraved menu board, and the same vegetable station.

They also had a few dead and dying roaches laying around the customer area, which didn't appear to be as clean as it should be, which might be why I never went back. I'm not too discriminating, and I liked the kiawe BBQ taste, so I might try them again if they've cleaned up the place.

Palolo Joe
October 8th, 2006, 03:03 AM
As Mapen points out, the menu and the veggies are the same. They even have a scale on top of the cold case so you can weigh it out!

They also had a few dead and dying roaches laying around the customer area, which didn't appear to be as clean as it should be, which might be why I never went back.

In the 3 or 4 years I've been going there, I've never seen a roach. Dead or alive. So take that statement and Mapen's and make of it what you will.

As for the burgers... the ostrich was indeed too dry for my taste. It did taste more lean than regular hamburger would, IMO.

Both the Kobe and Angus are good, but I prefer the Angus myself. And you're right, a mushroom and swiss option would be WINNAHS. :D

mapen
October 8th, 2006, 03:10 AM
In the 3 or 4 years I've been going there, I've never seen a roach. Dead or alive. So take that statement and Mapen's and make of it what you will.I'm glad to hear it. I loved the Kiawe BBQ taste but the sight of the critters nagged at me. I know what I saw, I must have went there on a bad or busy day, or just had bad luck. Your statement makes me feel better about the place, I will visit them again.

achow
October 20th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Thebest places for Hamburgers which are my favorites are: Arby's (Cheddar Cheese and steak), Jack In The Box (Jumbo Jack, Hambruger Deluxe), McDonald's (the cheeseburgers), Kua'aina at Ward never been to the one on North Shore yet. Island Gourmet Burgers at Ala Moana Center (Mushroom and swiss cheeseburger and the Hot Jalapeno and Pepper Jack hamburger).

Palolo Joe
October 20th, 2006, 05:23 AM
I think I need to do another test, but the triple prime burger at Ruby Tuesday's is SO ONO...

Woth every penny. :D

cynsaligia
April 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM

I still swear by W&M......good if you can find parking!

Big City Diner!!

i agree with all these guys, wholeheartedly...and will also add to the mix that moose mcgillycully's burger is dayum good, if you find yourself in the middle of waiks and doan wanna walk to one end for cheeseburger in waiks or the other end for teddy's.

kunfunnit! you guys made me hungry again!!! :mad:

kanahina
September 30th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Okay, so I see that this thread is old, but I'm new here so here's my two cents on burgers... Shiro's Saimin Haven. I live in Ewa Beach, so we usually go to the one there. The teri-burgah is excellent!

Kalei99
October 1st, 2007, 05:15 AM
Okay, so I see that this thread is old, but I'm new here so here's my two cents on burgers... Shiro's Saimin Haven. I live in Ewa Beach, so we usually go to the one there. The teri-burgah is excellent!

I grew up in Waimalu so I know Shiro's very well. The last time I went there (the one in Waimalu) with my Dad (about 2 years ago) we both ordered saimin. Half way through mine, I found 3 baby roaches in the soup. Grossed out, I quit eating. My Dad laughed at me as he finished his soup. Low and behold, he had about 4 baby roaches at the bottom of his bowl.
When the waitress came to give us the check I pointed out the roaches to her. She looked and then said "Oh, yeah no...only small kine, though." Then she walked away. We never went back again...

My favorite hamburger memory from Hawai'i is the roach-coach at Leeward Community College in the 80's. They had the best burgers on earth!

woodman
October 1st, 2007, 07:33 AM
No Rules Burger at Outback Steakhouse.

Order it with everything except blue cheese and BBQ sauce.

Tastes great after 3-4 Big Bloke Foster's.

kani-lehua
April 1st, 2008, 11:25 AM
apologies in advance as this has nothing to do with hawai'i's best hamburger. but, i was watching adrew zimmerman, bizarre foods, travel channel, he was in MN. they have what they call a GOOBER burger. beef burger topped off with peanut butter and mayo?!

cyleet99
April 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
(breathing the breath of life into the old thread--Yes, IT LIVES AGAIN!!)

Okay, I happened upon this thread, and wanted to tell about the Carl Jr's on Nimitz...the sign is a Hardee's emblem, and DH said they serve the Angus Burger!! Now in the Southeast those burgers are killer; as a matter of fact I think I need one for supper. I'm callin' him right now. Will report later on said burger.

(PS: I looked for the old national chain thread with no luck. If you would be so kind as to help me locate it, I will report my results from there.)

cyleet99
April 3rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
beef burger topped off with peanut butter and mayo?!

I can vouch for peanut butter and mayo, but the burger part mystifies me. Must be a local taste there in the Midwest.

cyleet99
April 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Will report later on said burger.

Sorry, not tonight. we ended up with mike's kickin chicken from wahiawa; too off topic.:rolleyes:

LikaNui
April 3rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Sorry, not tonight. we ended up with mike's kickin chicken from wahiawa; too off topic.:rolleyes: But right on topic for The Chicken Thread (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=11067)!

kani-lehua
April 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I can vouch for peanut butter and mayo, but the burger part mystifies me. Must be a local taste there in the Midwest.

peanut butter and mayo?! wow! don't know if my palate or my arteries could handle that. you're probably right, must be a local taste. they even had sauer kraut pies?! sauer kraut with an egg custard in the middle!:confused:

cyleet99
April 4th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Oh yuck!!:eek:

Pomai
April 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM
apologies in advance as this has nothing to do with hawai'i's best hamburger. but, i was watching adrew zimmerman, bizarre foods, travel channel, he was in MN. they have what they call a GOOBER burger. beef burger topped off with peanut butter and mayo?!I seen that. The peanut butter was warmed up, making it more like a sauce and putting the "goob" in burger. Everyone who was interviewed in that diner, called My Sister's Place in Minnesota, raved about it.

Another non-Hawaii burger, in today's news, the AP tells about a "156 Step Recipe Burger (http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/04/05/goldberg.contest.ap/index.html)"...

WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana (AP) -- A team of Purdue University students concocted a 156-step recipe for preparing a hamburger to win Saturday's annual national Rube Goldberg Machine Contest.

This year's task was to assemble a burger consisting of no less than one precooked meat patty, two vegetables and two condiments, sandwiched between bun halves.

The victory by the 17-member Purdue Society of Professional Engineers was the team's third such win in the past four years in the contest, named for the late cartoonist known for his drawings of complicated devices performing simple tasks.
I'd like to see a video of that machine in action. With 156 steps, I imagine it would have also had to make and bake the bun from scratch. They could also add at least 100 (probably much more!) steps by assembling the ground beef patty grain-by-grain. :eek:

cyleet99
April 5th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Made it to Carl Jr's today; I had the Thickburger and DH had a double cheeseburger. Very juicy, drippy, quite tasty. But I think it could be replicated closer to the North Shore. But since we were in town it was worth it!

dyasu
April 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Kua'aina burger is pretty decent, but really hit and miss at times.

We need an In & Out burger here in Hawaii!!!

Palama Kid
April 21st, 2008, 12:45 PM
I've enjoyed South Shore Grill's hamburgers. A bit-large burger on ciabatta bread with cole slaw vice lettuce. [I searched, but no one has mentioned this one.]

Although cost mo, truss me, this is mo bettah than In & Out.

Ron Whitfield
May 7th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I'll tell ya where.
Just down the road from so so Teddy's is The Waikiki Elks Club, where they serve the best burger to be found, (unless I make mine for you). Their Elks Burger is a meal in itself, under $7 w/fries! And you can eat it in a classy setting, while enjoying the beautiful sea-nery, hefty Long Island's, and on Wednesdays before noon, the kupuna sing songs of old Hawaii with steel guitar back up.
Hard to beat that combo!

Get it with just mayo/tomato, and hello Heaven!

anapuni808
May 7th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Sorry - I would have to go next door with the Outrigger Canoe Club's Black Angus Burger. That's where I always ask to go for a special lunch. and, no I'm not a member - just lucky enough to be taken as a guest :D and I have had the Elks Club burger too so can make the comparison.

But, the Elks Club does have good music to go along with their food so that is a plus for them.

cynsaligia
May 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
having been a former teddy's devotee and with high regard for hole-in-the-wall burgers from like diner's as well as high-end burgers from mariposa and even bar/restaurant burgers from moose's, i recommend to you all to skip kua aina and burgers on the edge and high ye to what eric and i believe to be the new best burger-specialty restaurant: the counter in kahala mall. yes, it's pricey; yes, it's a joint partially owned by a celeb; yes, it's a chain; and most annoying--it's at kahala mall. but:

100% fresh ground angus
fed on a vegetarian diet
hormone free
antibiotic free
patties starting at 1/3 lb...after cooking, not before
not merely custom cooked--you can have it served pink in the middle without having to sign a waiver!!! *happyhappyjoyjoy*

and that's just the beef itself. check out the menu (http://www.thecounterburger.com/menu/). according to the website, you can build about 300,000 different burgers given their choices. to give you an idea of price and variety, my last burger there was 1/3 lb, topped with gruyere, roasted red peppers, roasted chiles, lettuce and grilled onions along with a spicy sour cream, all on a toasted english muffin. it cost me $10. it's not someplace i'd go every week, but if i were to limit myself to a burger a month or a quarter, the counter is where i'd go each time.

did i mention they have shakes, malts, apple crumble, sweet potato fries, onion strings, waialua soda AND a full bar?

tutusue
May 8th, 2009, 09:12 AM
[...]check out the menu (http://www.thecounterburger.com/menu/). [...]
OMG!!!!!!! Can't wait to try the carne asada burger.

Ron Whitfield
May 8th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Sorry - I would have to go next door with the Outrigger Canoe Club's Black Angus Burger.Now I gotta find someone to get me in there to try it...

But I'll be happy having the Elks Burger tonite any way.

Music lovers should be at the Elks tonite @ 6pm for some of the best music around (this, no one can deny!) Mike Kaawa/guitar & vocals, Ocean Kaowili/bass & vocals, Bobby Ingano/steel, and the legendary Eddie Kamae, whom will be doing plenty of Son's Of Hawaii material. Last week was terrific.

StinkyTheGrump
May 8th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Shiro's is pretty good. W&M is pretty good. Kau aina is ok. The Counter was undersalted but everything else about the burger was perfect.
My favorite burger on Oahu is the Slaughter House Five from Lulu's in Waiks. It's a burger topped with pastrami, pepperoni, ham, bacon, kalua pig and three cheeses. Friggin unbelievable. This place is notorious for poor service though.

tutusue
May 8th, 2009, 02:51 PM
OMG!!!!!!! Can't wait to try the carne asada burger.
I'm munching as I type! It's grossly overpriced for a burger and worth every bite!!! Nirvaaaaaaaaana!

This 'burger' doesn't use ground beef; rather, skirt steak which is why I wanted to try it. Skirt steak is my favorite cut of beef and is nowhere to be found. Has anyone bought it recently? If so, where...on Oahu?!

D'Alani
May 8th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I'm munching as I type! It's grossly overpriced for a burger and worth every bite!!! Nirvaaaaaaaaana!

This 'burger' doesn't use ground beef; rather, skirt steak which is why I wanted to try it. Skirt steak is my favorite cut of beef and is nowhere to be found. Has anyone bought it recently? If so, where...on Oahu?!

Costco has Flap Steak, although not the same as skirt steak it is just as good if not better, to me anyway, and it very reasonably priced.

tutusue
May 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Costco has Flap Steak,[...]
I'll be durned...never heard of flap steak but I'll look forward to trying it. Thx, D'Alani.

Kaonohi
May 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Definately The Shack, now and forever.

Kaukura
May 12th, 2009, 11:14 PM

i ve been there once for lunch, and it is sort of a trendy place, but extensive condiments, my only 'beef' with them is that if you order the normal burger size, it is sort of on the small size. That old Clara Pellar Wendy's hamburger skit came to mind, "where's the beef?". Also, it reminded me right away of that hat Dwayne Wayans wore on "In Living Color's Men on Film skit". It was small. IMO. But then again, I am 6'2" and 230 pounds. So I need a meal. Loved the fries, and the sweet potato fries.

tutusue
May 13th, 2009, 11:16 AM
[...]if you order the normal burger size, it is sort of on the small size.[...]
Size is relative! :D I couldn't finish my burger in one sitting!

Now, for homemade burgers this trio of Asian inspired burgers (http://chefholly.typepad.com/holly_hadsell_el_hajji/) sounds fantastic!

(Holly and husband, Moumen, were the owners of Beau Soleil restaurant and are now caterers to the stars, including the "Lost" cast and crew.)

matapule
May 13th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Let me know when Hawai'i has as good a burger as In-N-Outs $1.60 burger!

Skirt steak is my favorite cut of beef and is nowhere to be found. Has anyone bought it recently

For the record, carne asada is not arrechera (skirt steak), at least not in Mexico. TuTu, visit me and we can have some real tacos de arrechera or tortas de arrechera. Tortas are mexican sandwiches served on something like oversized, bakery made hamburger buns.

Hamburgers in Mexico are grilled ground round with a thin slice of grilled HAM on top with bakery fresh torta buns. We make them in our hale that way.

Mexican hotdogs are grilled with wrapped bacon. Diced tomatos, chilis, and onion in a mayonaise salsa is heaped on top. All this is served in fresh bakery hot dog buns. Best hotdogs in the world!

Those items are local grindz, Mexican style. I'm happy supper is in an hour!

tutusue
May 13th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Actually, I got the carne asada burger, not because of 'carne asada' but, rather, because of the skirt steak! I woulda bought that 'burger' no matter what country was implied! :D It'd been decades since I had skirt steak which made the burger (almost) worth the $14. price tag! :eek:

Kaukura
May 13th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Size is relative! :D I couldn't finish my burger in one sitting!

Yes, you are correct. size is relative. I should clarify I was talking about the patty size, and not the whole presentation should anyone wonder.. It was a good burger.

matapule
May 13th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Size is relative! :D

Tutu gonna get some whack whacks!

Ninja
May 13th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Mexican hotdogs are grilled with wrapped bacon. Diced tomatos, chilis, and onion in a mayonaise salsa is heaped on top. All this is served in fresh bakery hot dog buns. Best hotdogs in the world!

The Swap-Meet places in Phoenix sells those style of hotdogs as well....delicious!

Ron Whitfield
May 13th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Mexican hotdogs are grilled with wrapped bacon. Best hotdogs in the world!:D Anything wrapped in bacon is going to be at least good!

Your post has me up for some serious googling!

Seeking Penance
May 13th, 2009, 04:21 PM
mmmmmm....bacon....cholesterol city

tutusue
May 13th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Tutu gonna get some whack whacks!
It'll be an honor! :D

anapuni808
May 13th, 2009, 07:31 PM
In the interests of doing more research :D , I enjoyed my lunch today as a guest at Outrigger Canoe Club. I of course ordered the Black Angus Burger. It's 1/2 lb of ground Black Angus beef, crisp bacon, sauteed mushrooms, cheese (if you want it), lettuce & tomato. The side choices are french fries (the thick kind), cole slaw or potato salad. and a big dill pickle spear on the side.

Once again, I am thoroughly convinced that for myself, the best burger is this one. It's always cooked exactly as I ask and the setting is simply gorgeous! Of course, I have to go with a member of the club, but that just makes it more of a treat.

I was a very happy camper after lunch today!

Ron Whitfield
May 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM
A search rewarded me with a bunch of ways to cook up skirts, bacon dogs, arrechera, and other goodies!

BTW, try the salmon belly poki at Tamashiro's!

Honoruru
May 14th, 2009, 06:25 PM
The Food Network (magazine) proclaimed Hukilau Cafe's loco moco as the best burger in Hawaii. I don't know about you, but I don't consider loco moco as burger.

From the Advertiser (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090504/BREAKING04/90504030/1321); from Food Netowork (http://www.foodnetwork.com/50-states-50-burgers/package/index.html).

By the way, I never heard of Hukilau Cafe. Anyone been there? Do they have real burgers (in addition to loco moco)?

tutusue
May 14th, 2009, 07:49 PM
[...]But, the Elks Club does have good music to go along with their food so that is a plus for them.
Ditto for the Outrigger...a strolling Hawaiian trio during dinner!

Costco has Flap Steak,[...]
Bought some today...$4.99/lb. I've googled cooking instructions and recipes but am interested in how you cook a flap steak, D'Alani.

As an aside...made my first trek to Costco Kapolei today. Loved it! Not jammed, plenny parking, easy-sneezy!

D'Alani
May 15th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Ditto for the Outrigger...a strolling Hawaiian trio during dinner!

Bought some today...$4.99/lb. I've googled cooking instructions and recipes but am interested in how you cook a flap steak, D'Alani.

As an aside...made my first trek to Costco Kapolei today. Loved it! Not jammed, plenny parking, easy-sneezy!

I usually marinate it and grill it much like I would a tri tip or you mighjt try cutting into thin slices or bite size pieces then marinate it and pan fry. The latter will turn out like how most drive-in restaurants serve their teriyaki steaks.

pzarquon
May 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Had our first burgers at The Counter for Mother's Day. Figured why not splurge and try something new. Not bad at all, but not exactly a bargain. The 1/3 lb. was more than enough food, and my dad and stepmom both split a 2/3 lb. burger for a complete meal. What I liked most, apart from those "sweet potato" fries, were the fact that you can actually get pink or even bloody burgers. Many restaurants are scared of "rare," but I like it.

Some photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/sets/72157618047933544/

Walkoff Balk
February 1st, 2013, 10:15 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/burger-king-admits-burgers-contained-traces-horse-meat-172944929.html

The glue that keeps the burgers together while having it your way.

GregLee
February 2nd, 2013, 05:50 AM
At home, I sometimes have TGIF cheeseburger sliders, whose virtue is convenience rather than taste -- keep in the freezer, then 50 seconds in the microwave. Sometimes Safeway has them priced 2 for 1. Here is a (not very favorable) review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiAIl6Fb-JA. I substitute a slice of onion for the sweet sauce that comes with.

Kaonohi
February 2nd, 2013, 08:35 PM
Fast-food wise, it's Wendy's.

Custom burghers? I don't know.

Walkoff Balk
February 11th, 2013, 09:02 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/word-watch-fast-food-menus-fresh-195200737.html

Fresh?

lensperson
February 12th, 2013, 10:50 PM
To me , fresh means just picked.

If an eatery has a garden in a nice patio

the cherry flowers are soothing

lensperson
February 22nd, 2013, 11:36 PM
The most scrumptious burgers are from ones own grill.
Nothing compares to the smell of some nice home cooked burgers.

:)

1stwahine
February 23rd, 2013, 02:12 AM
Yes, you're absolutely right bout that!

Auntie Lynn

KokuaFH
June 30th, 2013, 08:30 PM
If on Kauai the best has to be down in Anahola next to the Anahola store sits "Duane's Ono Burger" the sign also says "World famous" a small place maybe less than 300 sq ft. The burgers are really great! However don't be in a rush if you arrive around noon - expect to wait up to an hour but the wait is worth every bite!
My favorite - The Local Boy

Walkoff Balk
June 30th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Burgers taste better at the beach or when coming home from the beach for some reason.

Walkoff Balk
July 30th, 2013, 09:22 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/unknown-diner-taste-worlds-first-193000215.html

Is this good news for cows?

Ron Whitfield
July 31st, 2013, 11:54 AM
Is this good news for cows?Not much is good news for produce cows, and beef ain't good for us, but it's still pretty tasty unless filled with adrenalin from cows freaking out at slaughter time.

Walkoff Balk
September 18th, 2013, 11:15 PM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/dray/18-ways-to-celebrate-national-cheeseburger-day-4666

September 18 is National Cheeseburger day.

Suzanne
December 6th, 2013, 12:32 AM
I like L&L's burgers (not their fries, though). Not sure what they put in them, but they have an unusual taste and are very yummy.

Also the ones at Art's Hideaway and Downbeat Diner.

I also love the Big Mac's and Cheeseburgers at McDonald's, and the Whoppers at Burger King's, and Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger at Jack in the Box.

Nowadays I have to eat gluten free, so I eat the burgers without the bread. Jack in the Box will wrap them in lettuce if you ask!

Ron Whitfield
December 9th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I'm glad they've kept one Carl's Jr. on the island, luv their juicy char-broiled Western burger, well done, no cheese/vegs., dbl. mayo minus the BBQ soz, and crispy bacon. Just bun, mayo, onion rings, and bacon, nice and greasy... the way I made mine growing up, hard to beat. At the Union Station, Sand Island/Nimitz Hwy.

Hiu
December 10th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Stewart's Burgers in Kihei (Maui) offers up a great burger. Many variations of the burger are available. Be sure try their friend onion rings. It's all ono!